GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I should know this, but . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-05, 08:08 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default I should know this, but . . .

What is the aftermarket brace that some people have installed across the top of the engine cover and what purpose does it serve? Thanks.
Old 06-28-05, 08:12 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by e-man
What is the aftermarket brace that some people have installed across the top of the engine cover and what purpose does it serve? Thanks.
Called a strut tower brace. I don't have one but I understand it improves the handling of the car
Old 06-28-05, 08:16 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rheiy
Called a strut tower brace. I don't have one but I understand it improves the handling of the car

What he said...
Old 06-28-05, 08:24 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Eman, I just ordered a TRD Front Tower Strut Bar off ebay brand new in the box. I'm having it installed on Thursday and should be able to give you my opinion on the difference then. From what I've been told/read is that it provides more strength to the car on turns as it is bolted above the fenderwell. Most high-end sports cars have these installed by factory not only on the front but also the back. Of course, there are other braces that can be installed that are supposed to be better and I'm sure someone on CL can provide you more features/benefits of that. Mine was cheap enough that I thought it was worth getting it, especially since I'll be working up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina this summer.
Old 06-28-05, 08:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wait a min, eman, are you serious?! you are going to mod your car?
Old 06-28-05, 08:35 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyt01nc
Eman, I just ordered a TRD Front Tower Strut Bar off ebay brand new in the box. I'm having it installed on Thursday and should be able to give you my opinion on the difference then. From what I've been told/read is that it provides more strength to the car on turns as it is bolted above the fenderwell. Most high-end sports cars have these installed by factory not only on the front but also the back. Of course, there are other braces that can be installed that are supposed to be better and I'm sure someone on CL can provide you more features/benefits of that. Mine was cheap enough that I thought it was worth getting it, especially since I'll be working up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina this summer.
Thanks, Bobby. That would be great. Please let me know how it feels.

Originally Posted by rominl
wait a min, eman, are you serious?! you are going to mod your car?
LOL. I knew I was going to catch some flack for this one. One thing about my 98 (and now the 99) that always bugged me was that the car always felt a little shaky/flexy over uneven surfaces. I don't know if something like this would make a difference, but if so, I think it's worth a try. And, technically, if I did this, wouldn't it actually be my second mod (my first being letting the air out of my tires from 40+ psi to 33 psi)?
Old 06-28-05, 09:02 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by e-man
Thanks, Bobby. That would be great. Please let me know how it feels.

LOL. I knew I was going to catch some flack for this one. One thing about my 98 (and now the 99) that always bugged me was that the car always felt a little shaky/flexy over uneven surfaces. I don't know if something like this would make a difference, but if so, I think it's worth a try. And, technically, if I did this, wouldn't it actually be my second mod (my first being letting the air out of my tires from 40+ psi to 33 psi)?
As stated above, the addition of a STB will increase the rigidity of the front suspension components, tho the difference that is provides as an isolated mod is probably pretty subtle. If its shakey/flexy over uneven surfaces that you want to address, the things that will improve that the most would be #1 improved/lowered springs and shocks, lots of choices there all the way up to adustable coilovers with pushbutton adjustment from inside the car. #2 stiffer anti-sway bars to reduce body roll in curves and turns. will make high speed driving feel much more secure and predictable during turns and curves. After that , STB , LCB (Lower Chassis Brace) and other braces for stiffening the chassis would just be icing on the cake but far less noticible in handling improvement than Nos. 1 & 2 above.
Old 06-29-05, 02:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

eman, to be honest, if you want better handling, and i am sure you will stay with stock suspension, just get the daizen sways. cornering will be so much improved and you dont' affect the ride

with the stb, there will only be marginal help, seriously...