GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Exhaust tips that fit!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-01, 05:08 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MikeGS4PE
I think welding a chrome tip on will cause the chrome to eventually changed color after time. Best way is as you describe, tight fit or use the screw.
Mike, I had my tips on for over a year now and have not experienceing any discoloration. Maybe the $20 chrome tips will change color.

Problems with screw is

1) No matter how hard u tighten them, it can still fall off

2) For my other friend, he experiences some annoying rattle.

Old 06-28-01, 05:45 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: to SHOGUN

Originally posted by gs4will
also where did you get the rubber mallet?
William,

Rubber mallet is not tough to find. Try auto parts stores - Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc. or Home Depot or most hardware stores.
Old 06-28-01, 08:49 AM
ernie
Driver School Candidate

gs4will,

here is the number Call Toll Free: (800) 350-5337 not a bad price $62 for the pair - it probably take 2 weeks to receive.

you guys are helping me change the performance and look of my car - keep it coming.

ernie
tts@airmail.net
Old 06-28-01, 09:42 AM
gsexploits
Driver

Is it just me or are the tips on the 2001 GS430 bigger than the ones in the past?

Shogun mentions that his GS400 stock tips measure out at 3" at the max part of the oval. My tips measure out at 3 3/4" at the max part of the oval and do seem to fill out the rear skirt better than previous models.

I have been wondering why there have been numerous posts about the exhaust seeming to be really small in the opening. Yes, there is still room to have a larger tip in the opening, but the stock 430 tip doesn't look too bad. I have about 1" of open space around the pipes, so I could easily go up to 1/2" larger all around without worrying about rattling or heating up the rear bumper cutout.

If there is a tip out there that is 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 inches in diameter, than that would be ideal, but I haven't found one yet.

I am a family guy so an exhaust change is not in my immediate future (though I am working on my better half!), and getting larger exhaust tips (like gs4will recommended in another thread) would be slick, so long as it doesn't look "bolted on".

Protrim doesn't list the outside diameter of its pipes - but I will call them today and ask if they have an appropriate fit. I will re-post what I find out.
Old 06-28-01, 09:53 AM
gsexploits
Driver

Is it just me or are the tips on the 2001 GS430 bigger than the ones in the past?

Shogun mentions that his GS400 stock tips measure out at 3" at the max part of the oval. My tips measure out at 3 3/4" at the max part of the oval and do seem to fill out the rear skirt better than previous models.

I have been wondering why there have been numerous posts about the exhaust seeming to be really small in the opening. Yes, there is still room to have a larger tip in the opening, but the stock 430 tip doesn't look too bad. I have about 1" of open space around the pipes, so I could easily go up to 1/2" larger all around without worrying about rattling or heating up the rear bumper cutout.

If there is a tip out there that is 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 inches in diameter, than that would be ideal, but I haven't found one yet.

I am a family guy so an exhaust change is not in my immediate future (though I am working on my better half!), and getting larger exhaust tips (like gs4will recommended in another thread) would be slick, so long as it doesn't look "bolted on".

Protrim doesn't list the outside diameter of its pipes - but I will call them today and ask if they have an appropriate fit. I will re-post what I find out.
Old 06-28-01, 11:05 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first, thanks everyone for giving me the info on such small things for the car.

TC,

the tip on the 430 is bit bigger than the 400. i would say that the 400 is kind of small, 430 OK, but stiil need more sizes to fill out the gap and give the gs the LOOK it deserves.

if you were to read thru again what shogun posted at the beginning, you would prob. conclude that the tips which protriminc sells would suit our need very ideally(2121 2132 2154).

i am waiting for the pics from shogun, but i am almost certain that the one model he ordered would be very close to the OVAL round tip that borla has. for $60/pair, and no welding needed, 30 diy min. job, totally worth a try. i think if the outter diameter mesures min.of 4-4.5" w/rolled edge, the look would be there.

however, i am also contemplating on the actual stainless exhaust made by MAGNAFLOW that is recommended by white diamond, another memeber. he said they sound more quieter than the borlas, and the set up is $300.

keep us posted on what you find out. thanks

will
Old 06-29-01, 05:10 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

gs4will - Eh, dunno about the whole "add-on" tip deal...it's a very ricer IMO since it just gives you the "look" of performance while doing absolutely NOTHING for performance...why not just do a real exhaust instead?

Now if you paint it yellow, I'm going to have to come over and hit you in the head.
Old 06-29-01, 06:06 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

I'm on the fence re: tips being cool or tacky. But, in reality most of the after market exhausts used on the street only add a small amount of power versus "the sound" and "the look" of the exhaust tips.

So we're talking about a grand or more for the exhaust system to get the "sound and the look" or much less for just the "look".

IMO as long as you tell the truth that they're just tips it's not a problem for me. If you try to pass the tips off as an expensive system then it's tacky.
Old 06-29-01, 06:43 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Good point....what about the IS300's tips? They seem larger, I don't know if they slip off though...

I still think it's tacky though...I would just do an exhaust system...isn't the L-Tuned one around $600?
Old 06-29-01, 08:18 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I think the L-Tuned is about $600 plus install.

But what about someone like me who wants the quiet of the stock system but may want a better looking exhaust tip...just for the cosmetics?
Old 06-29-01, 08:27 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up I agree!

Originally posted by RealMarty
I'm on the fence re: tips being cool or tacky. But, in reality most of the after market exhausts used on the street only add a small amount of power versus "the sound" and "the look" of the exhaust tips.

So we're talking about a grand or more for the exhaust system to get the "sound and the look" or much less for just the "look".

IMO as long as you tell the truth that they're just tips it's not a problem for me. If you try to pass the tips off as an expensive system then it's tacky.
RealMarty, I totally agree with you !! People asked me if they are exhausts but I tell em the truth that its just tips. They are totally dumbfounded by my tips because its so real looking.

Also for the exhausts giving you extra power. Since I dunno too much about exhausts, my brother-in-law went to BMW mechanic school and they had a whole lesson on this. They came to a conclusion that aftermarket exhausts practically adds NOTHING to improvements of speed/pickup etc.. I would disagree about that, have to add something rather than virtually nothing.

Manaray, I am confused on why you think it looks ricer? Somepeople may not want the added noise of a performance muffler but think the stocked tips are too small and rather get a bigger tip to fit the diameter of the bumper.
Old 06-29-01, 09:50 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

manaray,

what d-man said in the last part is kind of what i have i mind-my babe strongly object me putting on a REAL exhaust system. a member recommended magnaflow s/s, he said the noise is lower than the borla, so i am thinking about it.

btw, i wonder how you would react if i GOLD dip the tip/entire exhaust:eek:

will
Old 06-29-01, 11:28 AM
Shogun
Driver

Default Further Input

Folks,
Just checking in from Portland (home is Atlanta).

Again, I'll get pics on Monday to this thread.

Fitting and size: Any of the 5" long tips made by Proline all have an exterior diameter of about 3.25". Like I said, you probably do not want a tip longer than 5" unless you want to stand on them while waxing your trunk ;-)

Inlet diameter: this allows you to fit the tip over the stock pipe (NOT stock tip). The ones I got (2154) just barely squeeze on and then I had to take a rubber mallet to bang into final placement. GS400 pipes are 2" in diameter and you will need a BIGGER inlet diamter in order to fit.

Someone earlier mentioned wanting a 4-4.5" outlet. I'm sure they're made but I don't know where. I had 4.5" Borlas on my Vette and it looked great on the Vette but not the look I was shooting for on my GS. 4.5" are HUGE - make sure you know what you're in store for!

Regarding the 'look' of these tips and if they look 'cheesy' compared to a whole new aftermarket system:

Again, my opinion - the tips look a whole lot better than stock and in fact, the stock tips LOOK like tips. These aftermarket tips blend in so well that you do not know they are tips UNLESS you look underneath the car. The mass, length, and chrome of the tips hides the actual exhaust pipe that 'fits' inside. On the stock set up you can actually see the exhaust pipe inside the tip. On the Proline tips you CAN NOT see the pipe unless you actually shine a flashlight inside the tip or, as I said before, you look underneath the car.

On the aftermarket exhaust vs. tips conversation, here was my take on the whole thing...

I had a C5 that I installed a Borla System on for better looks and more Hp (10Hp increase according to Borla).

I got the look I wanted but the based on back to back dyno's the Hp actually dropped by 4 and torque increased by 2. I then come to find out that the Vette needed some of that exhaust 'back pressure" to operate efficiently. Now, I'm all confused.

When I talked to other people about the Borla I always quoted another 10Hp but I factually knew that I lost Hp. Hey, I didn't want to admit what I dumbass I was for paying $700 to lose Hp - but it sure did look cool! You make the investment you want to brag but the bottom line is that it was an expensive learning lesson!

Baby on the way so I get rid of the C5 and get the GS400. I want to exhaust to look cool. I read this board and I see the exact same claims being made for the exhaust systems that I heard on the C5 board from Borla, A&A, Walker, Corsica, B&B, etc.

If any individual (not company) can show me some back to back dyno's proving the exhaust power benefits (WITH NO ADDITIONAL MODS) I may have purchased an exhaust system. But I have not seen that so I went for $70 and got the look I wanted.

Guys, the GS may be totally different animal but I would not buy into manufacturer claims hook, line and sinker. Trust an individual who can show you the performance gains based on a before an after and then make the performance/cost comparision.

I got the 'look' I wanted for $70 and know my Hp did not decrease due to this mod. I have the same quiet exhaust I had before with no resonance, which in the C5 was damn near annoyning at 1800 RPM's which was cruising speed. I wasn't going to spend $300 to risk learning this lesson all over again - maybe my risk threashold it just lower.

You spend $$$ you want results. This set-up was right for ME. I wanted looks with NO risk to performance.

Good Luck,
Eric

Last edited by Shogun; 06-29-01 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-01-01, 09:20 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

I say that "tips" are ricer because a LOT of these ricers do it. It's cheap and it gives the look of a real exhaust...

But in this case, I can see that some people do not want any more sound of their exhaust but would like to fill the "gap". In a case like that, it makes sense. I suppose if you're not trying to front like you have some exhaust it's cool...

For me, I'd rather have a exhaust system. I like the mellow tone of a exhaust (I'm not into loud exhausts)...