GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Exhaust tips that fit!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-01, 10:26 AM
Shogun
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks,

After searching the web for days - I finally found some tips that fit - the website is protriminc.com click on exhaust tips and then 'stainless/chrome'.

To fit the GS400 I picked #2154. If you get one longer then 5" you may have more overhang than desired.

The old tips pull off and the new ones slide on - with a rubber mallet in hand ;-) Took me all of 20 minutes and the look is very similiar to the Borla SS.

Good Luck,
Eric

P.S. for everyone who's going to say "you should have gotten the exhaust system for both looks and power." My last Borla exhaust on my '98 C5 actually decreased my Hp by 4 in back to back dyno tests. Come to find out the Vette needed some 'back pressure' to perform optimally. I have no idea if the GS is the same way but I'm not spending $500 bucks and a dyno test to find out.

Old 06-27-01, 10:43 AM
disc108
Lead Lap

If you are only goin for looks, then get the tips.

If you want a nice rumble, then get the borlas. You can get them for $300-400. Plus, they claim to give you more HP on the GS.
Old 06-27-01, 11:18 AM
GSPOWER
Driver

Shogun,
Thanks for the info!!! I have been looking for exhaust tips for a while but with no luck. Can you post some pictures of the tips after you install them?

Thanks again!

Last edited by GSPOWER; 06-27-01 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-27-01, 11:19 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

My friend got some nice tips called "3D racing". I'll take a pic and post it for ya.
Old 06-27-01, 12:23 PM
GSPOWER
Driver

DIESELMAN63,
Thanks!! btw do you know if he got them online?
Old 06-27-01, 12:28 PM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

that's defiently a PEPBOYS part
Old 06-27-01, 12:30 PM
zz231
Pole Position

shogun, are the tips bigger than the stock ones? and if they are, then how much bigger?
thanks in advance
Old 06-27-01, 03:24 PM
ernie
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the lead. how does it look? i just called them and they are back logged about 1.5 wks not too bad.

ernie
tts@airmail.net
Old 06-27-01, 04:49 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ernie,

could you tell me the TEL please? the site does not work.
thanks
Old 06-27-01, 04:55 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

shogun...you must of had the XR-1 exhaust. It does dyno less, but the sound is more exotic from it. In my case, I eliminated the the muffler completely (it had one directly in the center) and had 2 3" tubes welded in place. sounded wicked, but the car sounded weird when I had the cross over tube in place, so I changed it again. Later tried triflows. Loved those, but could not keep the rear mufflers straight.

Please post pics of the tips...
Old 06-27-01, 06:31 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Please post a pice.

Dealer told me the tips on the GS were welded on so I could not...

Wait a minute, these tips go over the tips on the GS??

What is going on here?!?!?!
1sick, the dealer is full of *****. When I got my tips, my mechanic (literally) in 1 min took off the "stocked" tips with a hammer. Then welded on the new tips.

The whole process took 10 mins. The tips cost around $140-$160. Though these tips are top-notch quality.
Old 06-27-01, 06:38 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GSPOWER
DIESELMAN63,
Thanks!! btw do you know if he got them online?
gspower, no I got these at my local rim/racing shop. These were the best ones they had, hence the most expensive ones.

I'm going to take these off as soon as I get my quads. I'll post a pic ASAP, give me a couple of days.
Old 06-27-01, 07:43 PM
Shogun
Driver

Default Further info

Gents,

I apologize - it's night and I can't get a great pic and I'm on a business trip until Sunday evening. I'll have pics posted sometime Monday.

Further info:
The tips are both slightly bigger and longer than stock. The stock tips are 4" long and tapered down from top to bottom. These tips are 5" long and are not tapered. Last but not least I could not 'bang' them all the way in so they stick out a tad more - maybe 1.5" more than stock. IMO they look super and I will not try to bang them in any more.

Diameter wise these tips are only slightly bigger than stock but they look a lot bigger because there is so much more mass to them - not to mention bright shiny chrome. Stock, the max part of the oval measures out at 3" - the new ones measure out 3.25". There is also a lot of 'roll' on the tips edges so it looks bigger that way as well.

The tips are very heavy and very high quality with a chrome finish that matches the quality of any after market exhaust. Like I said before, they look very similiar to the Borla tips (oval ones).

BTW, 3D Racing tips are sold at Pepboys and I thought they left a lot to be desired. Pep has other tips but all the ones I saw were 7" long which, IMO, would stick out way too far.

Assembly:
The stock tips are NOT welded on. They are crimped in four places by in inner 'clamp' (just shine your flashlight in there to see). I simply took a long, skinny, flat head, screwdriver and hammered it between the crimps to loosen. After that it was just a lot of wiggling and tugging to get them off.

I WD40'd the pipes and the inside of the new tips, crammed them on, positioned and used a rubber mallet to secure. There is a screw you should insert to tighten down but the tips fit so tight I could not turn the screw in at all and rather than have a screw sticking out on the bottom, I decided just to forego that step. But believe me - they are on tight. If your really **** I'm sure you get them welded on for $20.00.

Anyway, that's the deal. The site again is protriminc.com

In the search engine I typed "Lexus Exhaust Tips" - ProTrim was the first 'hit'.

Good Luck,
Eric

Old 06-27-01, 08:05 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

I think welding a chrome tip on will cause the chrome to eventually changed color after time. Best way is as you describe, tight fit or use the screw.
Old 06-27-01, 10:38 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb to SHOGUN

Eric,

thanks for the detailed info.

i looked at the site, and saw 2 models that i like:

2121, 2132.

besides the angled cut look and diff in inlet diameter, there is no diff ot the one you have, correct? what do you think fo these two models?

also where did you get the rubber mallet?

thanks for the feedback when you get a chance.

william

Quick Reply: Exhaust tips that fit!