GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Had door ding popped yesterday (with pix)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-05, 06:37 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Had door ding popped yesterday (with pix)

I had my car at Lexus yesterday for its 60k, and the paintless dent repair guy was there working on a car. I'm really obsessive when it comes to door dings, and there was one door ding that's been nagging at me ever since I bought the car, so I figured I'd give him a shot. It's really amazing what these guys do. For those of you that don't know, they get behind the door panel by inserting special tools down through the window opening. Anyway, my service advisor called me to let me know that the car was ready to be picked up -- he said that the 60k had been completed and claimed that the dent guy had popped the ding. When I picked up the car, I didn't even want to look at the door because I figured that even though no one else would notice it, I would still be able to tell where it was. After a few minutes, my curiousity got the best of me and I literally got down and looked at the door from every possible angle. I'm not kidding -- I cannot detect that there was anything there. For those of you who have dings and have been thinking about taking care of them, I highly recomend this. I was charged $75, and it was worth every penny. The guy was a magician, an absolute magician. Here's a before and after picture:

BEFORE:
Attached Thumbnails Had door ding popped yesterday (with pix)-picture13-353-resized-.jpg  

Last edited by e-man; 06-29-05 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-29-05, 06:38 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

After Picture:
Attached Thumbnails Had door ding popped yesterday (with pix)-dscn3102-resized-.jpg  
Old 06-29-05, 06:39 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

One more after:
Attached Thumbnails Had door ding popped yesterday (with pix)-dscn3101-resized-.jpg  
Old 06-29-05, 06:41 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

dang! really clean job.
Old 06-29-05, 06:43 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great results e. can't tell it was there.
Old 06-29-05, 06:44 PM
Lexologist
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing really. I will give it a shot.... I hope mine goes as smoothly.
Old 06-29-05, 06:48 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

you sure thats not a new door?
Old 06-29-05, 06:54 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Good job getting the ding repaired via PDR. Me and a fellow CL member w/ a GS went down to a guy's house in Queens NY last weekend, where a guy from Dent Wizard was there to do our cars. I also couldn't believe the amazing work done by these DW guys and the special tools they use to take dings out of almost any panel on a car. He priced us per panel, so we got an excellent price, especially if we have multiple dings in one panel
Old 06-29-05, 07:15 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

You can't even tell...Nice job
Old 06-29-05, 07:24 PM
tkracing
Lead Lap

Sweet! Cant even notice there was a ding. Looks brand new.
Old 06-29-05, 07:26 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Hey guys, thanks for everyone's comments. I know a lot of CL members park their cars at the outskirts of the parking lot away from everyone else (including me), and we end up drawing more attention to our cars (and, unfortunately, sometimes vandals) than if we had just parked among the masses. The nice part about it is that if you do get a door ding, at least there's a relatively inexpensive process to have it removed. Hey, maybe I'll start parking in normal parking spots from now on. Not.

e-man
Old 06-29-05, 07:38 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey e, that looks awesome, thanks for the tip and the pics. I have a few dings that I need removed - one of 'em I'd swear is from some numbskull at a Wal-Mart sending his cart flying into the side of my car, but I wasn't there to see it.
Yeah, everyone laughs at me when I park all by my lonesome in the far corner of the parking lot, but it works....
LexusK8, Dent Wizard is the service that my Lexus uses too. I was thinking of trying them.
What do they do if it's not a DOOR ding and it's a fender ding that's not accessible, with no window opening?
Old 06-29-05, 07:47 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by engin_ear
What do they do if it's not a DOOR ding and it's a fender ding that's not accessible, with no window opening?
I can answer that. It depends. For example, I have a friend who has an Acura CL, and he had a ding in the panel behind the driver's side door (I guess that would be the rear quarter). The dent guy couldn't access the dent from above or below, so he ended up drilling a small hole in the back of the door jam and got at it through there. Obviously, this was an extreme case, and I don't know if I would want anyone drilling through metal just to get at a door ding, but my point is that these guys have creative ways to get at things.
Old 06-29-05, 09:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

congrats e yeah i have seen them in action before, really amazing. they take a lot of time but the result is very very good

but they do have limits of course. if there is a ding on any of the "ines", they can't do it. for example if you look at the gs door, on the upper side towards the window, there is a line right? if you get a dent there, they wont' do it coz' it won't work
Old 06-29-05, 09:41 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great. They did a great job and looks like it was worth the $75

Quick Reply: Had door ding popped yesterday (with pix)