GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Unleashing the Beast... Picture Story Line (56K Beware)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-05, 08:58 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks killer- I love the sound and feel of the Turbo straight-six!

Also, I would love to see the expression on the smog technicians face when this car pulls in...

I assume you "have a smog guy?"
Old 07-07-05, 12:55 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
Talking to Steve @ LMW, I thought they were incorporating the Zeitronix Wide Band display w/ the I -Manage FMU. Are they going to be using the Zeitronix Wide Band display and the I-Manage unit that you have??

The Zeitronix is a serperate (optional) unit that monitors all your important gauges like A/F, EGT, Boost. However, most people use the Zeitronix for just Wide Band A/F and EGT. The i-Manage is great because it has a direct vaccum plug to give you an accurate digital Boost reading. It registers down to -9.9 (vaccum) all the way to +30psi or so... Basically, both units work hand & hand. Hope this makes sense. The Zeitronix is just added safety when going F.I. The Zeitronix is cool to have when you don't have room to add seperate gauges anywhere. For me, I did not want the Zeitronix only because I had my PLX Wideband/AutoMeter Gauges already installed in the car.
Old 07-07-05, 01:27 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LXOGOOD
The Zeitronix is a serperate (optional) unit that monitors all your important gauges like A/F, EGT, Boost. However, most people use the Zeitronix for just Wide Band A/F and EGT. The i-Manage is great because it has a direct vaccum plug to give you an accurate digital Boost reading. It registers down to -9.9 (vaccum) all the way to +30psi or so... Basically, both units work hand & hand. Hope this makes sense. The Zeitronix is just added safety when going F.I. The Zeitronix is cool to have when you don't have room to add seperate gauges anywhere. For me, I did not want the Zeitronix only because I had my PLX Wideband/AutoMeter Gauges already installed in the car.
Thanks Ken for the info. Any hint to what's working in the GS400/430 Supercharger dept..??Which kit got the go ahead 400 or 430
Old 07-07-05, 09:31 PM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Nice car

Dont laugh at my question: So that isnt turbo but supercharger? Whats the difference? Say from Stage 2 turbo?

And mind telling how much it cost you? I know people have asked but has not yet been answered

Last edited by NoS; 07-07-05 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-07-05, 10:14 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NoS
Nice car

Dont laugh at my question: So that isnt turbo but supercharger? Whats the difference? Say from Stage 2 turbo?

And mind telling how much it cost you? I know people have asked but has not yet been answered
A turbo runs off exhaust gases.. A Supercharger runs off a belt that is attached to the crank pulley which spins it. The higher your rpms climb, the faster the SC spins creating boost. Maximum HP on a SC usually reaches redline or 6K. A turbo reaches maximum HP around 3500-4000 rpms. Turbo setups offer better HP numbers but require more tuning.

IMO, supercharged cars are a better daily driver car. If feels like a big v8 sitting under the hood. Turbo cars are more fun to play with and offer a huge amount of room to go bigger...Of course, you get a lag with the turbo, but when that baby spools up, hang on...Either one is fun to have. This supercharger setup could be installed in less than 8 hours. A turbo would take a full weekend to put on... A stage 2 setup for a Supercharger on a GS/IS300 would give you about 300rwhp. A stage 2 Turbo setup on a GS/IS300 would give you at least 350rwhp. Turbo setups offer better HP#'s for the price which is why many people go turbo.. But of course, I want to be different!

The "retail" cost of my setup including the new motor and additional parts would be close to $12k.

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 07-07-05 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-07-05, 10:37 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Ken-

Looking forward to seeing this at the meet.
Old 07-08-05, 06:53 PM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LXOGOOD
A turbo runs off exhaust gases.. A Supercharger runs off a belt that is attached to the crank pulley which spins it. The higher your rpms climb, the faster the SC spins creating boost. Maximum HP on a SC usually reaches redline or 6K. A turbo reaches maximum HP around 3500-4000 rpms. Turbo setups offer better HP numbers but require more tuning.

IMO, supercharged cars are a better daily driver car. If feels like a big v8 sitting under the hood. Turbo cars are more fun to play with and offer a huge amount of room to go bigger...Of course, you get a lag with the turbo, but when that baby spools up, hang on...Either one is fun to have. This supercharger setup could be installed in less than 8 hours. A turbo would take a full weekend to put on... A stage 2 setup for a Supercharger on a GS/IS300 would give you about 300rwhp. A stage 2 Turbo setup on a GS/IS300 would give you at least 350rwhp. Turbo setups offer better HP#'s for the price which is why many people go turbo.. But of course, I want to be different!

The "retail" cost of my setup including the new motor and additional parts would be close to $12k.
Whoa $12k... mad props man

Turbo sounds more for me if I decide to go that way. I talked with Mo from Swift Racing and since they only now sell Stage 2 and above for $6,495.00 I am trying to save up the spare cash hopefully in 6 months to a year after the $2,500 needed for 19's

The only thing holding me back from turbo is install. Saving the cash for parts is no problem but install.... Shops would charage to much and since all I have installed is springs/shocks I'm not sure that I would be able to do it myself. Time isnt a issue (I could take weeks if I wanted) and the whole kit does include a colored install book but still...... anyhow its my dream and one way or another I will have a turbo GS

Last edited by NoS; 07-08-05 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-13-05, 12:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

congrats on the car ken, glad to see it back on the road! your car should be stronger than ever now, it's time to do some serious dyno and go to the drag stripe and see what the car does!
Old 07-13-05, 07:42 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

OMG!!! You're girlfriend/wife has a GOOD reason to be jealous now!!!!

Old 07-13-05, 08:58 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Darius2010
OMG!!! You're girlfriend/wife has a GOOD reason to be jealous now!!!!

Ken,
do you have a 3rd brake light?
Old 07-13-05, 02:02 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

May I suggest JP Tails?

They would look so nice with everything else you've done...which is most awesome...in an I'm-not-worthy sort of way.
Old 07-13-05, 02:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXISM
Ken,
do you have a 3rd brake light?
well he has a gs3, i don't think he had spoiler before, so i guess he had the 3rd brake light on the rear deck?
Old 07-13-05, 04:43 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
well he has a gs3, i don't think he had spoiler before, so i guess he had the 3rd brake light on the rear deck?

I wonder how visible it is ... I know that if your in a SUV you'll be able to see ...but if your in a car behind him ...I dont know ...just wondering how it looks
Old 07-15-05, 10:58 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

LXO - Sweet god! What have you created now...great looking...lol...wasn't happy with *just* the other S/C...

You are an inspiration...makes me want to go out and RennTech my MB so I can keep up.
Old 07-19-05, 01:08 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Simply THE MOST AMAZING LEXUS GS, EVER!!!!!!!

Ted

Quick Reply: Unleashing the Beast... Picture Story Line (56K Beware)