GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

gs 430 fast?, hmmm

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-05, 02:49 PM
fatman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gs 430 fast?, hmmm

Hello Everyone, Well I've Been Looking Through The Searches And I Am Trying To Figure Out An Average 1/4 Mile Time For The Gs 430. I Haven't Had The Opportunity To Get To The Track, So I Need Ideas. My Last Car Was An E39 540, Which Was Flooded. My Gs Is Quick, But I Am Not Sure If It Is As Fast As My 540 Was. My 540 Was An Automatic, With 18 Inch Wheels. For Some Reason My Bmw Would Just Launch Hard And Pull All The Way To Triple Didget Numbers. At One Time I Raced A Gs400 On I95 And Pulled Him From 90. Don't Get Me Wrong, I Love My Gs, And It Pulls Hard Once It Hits Mid Second Gear, And I Know I Should Have Bought A Sports Car If I Wanted To Go Fast In A 1/4, But I Just Want Some Feed Back. I Don't Want To Spend A Ton Of $$$ For Torque Converter, Cai, Exhaust, And I Refuse To Pay $1600 For The Rear, Just To Go From A Mid 14 To A Low 14. I Am An Experienced Driver, I've Owned An Eleven Second Grand National, Supercharged Mustang, Ram Air T/a. I've Also Owned An Acura Cl-type-s, Which Ran 14.7 At 96. I Know My Gs Is Faster, But From What I Have Read, There Aren't Too Many People Who Have Ran Faster Than That Stock. I Am Considering Selling My Gs And Buying A 2002 Corvette Z06, Or Just Keeping The Gs And Find A Nice Buick T-type Or Another Grand National.
Old 07-05-05, 03:02 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Bone stock in perfect conditions I am confident that a good running GS430 would crack the 13 second mark at 100mph. .

Maxing out on the basic bolt ons:
PI TC
SRT Intake
Headers
Y pipe
3.77 LSD
Drag radials

IMO, would give a care capable of very low 13s and possibly high 12s in ideal conditions.

My stock LS400 went low 14s on a 2.2 60ft in PERFECT air. Traction alone would have put me in the 13s. A GS430 has more torque and power and less weight.
Old 07-05-05, 04:10 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-05-05, 04:24 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatman
Hello Everyone, Well I've Been Looking Through The Searches And I Am Trying To Figure Out An Average 1/4 Mile Time For The Gs 430. I Haven't Had The Opportunity To Get To The Track, So I Need Ideas. My Last Car Was An E39 540, Which Was Flooded. My Gs Is Quick, But I Am Not Sure If It Is As Fast As My 540 Was. My 540 Was An Automatic, With 18 Inch Wheels. For Some Reason My Bmw Would Just Launch Hard And Pull All The Way To Triple Didget Numbers. At One Time I Raced A Gs400 On I95 And Pulled Him From 90. Don't Get Me Wrong, I Love My Gs, And It Pulls Hard Once It Hits Mid Second Gear, And I Know I Should Have Bought A Sports Car If I Wanted To Go Fast In A 1/4, But I Just Want Some Feed Back. I Don't Want To Spend A Ton Of $$$ For Torque Converter, Cai, Exhaust, And I Refuse To Pay $1600 For The Rear, Just To Go From A Mid 14 To A Low 14. I Am An Experienced Driver, I've Owned An Eleven Second Grand National, Supercharged Mustang, Ram Air T/a. I've Also Owned An Acura Cl-type-s, Which Ran 14.7 At 96. I Know My Gs Is Faster, But From What I Have Read, There Aren't Too Many People Who Have Ran Faster Than That Stock. I Am Considering Selling My Gs And Buying A 2002 Corvette Z06, Or Just Keeping The Gs And Find A Nice Buick T-type Or Another Grand National.
If you don't want to spend the money on the performance mods like TC and 3.76 lsd that will make your gs quicker, then you either have to accept what you have or put it up for sale and get a z06. Btw, only way to get it close to z06 is to go FI along with TC and lsd
Old 07-05-05, 04:32 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

z06 is quick car, if you supercahrger the gs430 like i did you should be close to the stock C5 vettes, if you do some more upgrades maybe to the C 6 but the z06 is a beast,
but i like the GS over the vette (sincei have owned both, a gs430 and a C5) becaue of the room, and the sneaky-ness of the GS, no body thinks it can get up and go becaue it weighs 4k LBS.. but oh wow it can
hope u keep the GS and play with it
Old 07-05-05, 08:26 PM
fatman
Driver School Candidate

I Don't Want To S/c The Gs, But I Just Wanted Some Imput On The Ability Of This Car. I Did Research S/c And The Company Who Made The Supercharger, Told Me They Will No-longer Make Them. I Was Quoted $14,000 For Turbo Charging. For That Money I Can Buy A Low 12sec Grand National, Or Mustang (after Market Work Done) For That Price.

I Just Finished Driving A Friends 2001 Mustang Bullit. Driving This Car Gave Me The Bug Again, But His Car Is Stock And I Am Confident That My Gs Would Give Him A Good Run. The Only Reason I Did Not Race Him Is Because He Does Not Know How To Shift His Car Welland It Wouldn't Have Been A Fair Race, He Didn't Know Where The Traction Control Button Was . A Small Note, I Did Beat A Friends 2000 Mustang Gt, Automatic, With Exhaust, But It Seems Everything Can Beat A Stock Mustang Now-a-days.
Old 07-05-05, 08:27 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Sounds like you want a completely different car than the GS so you should sell it. Obviously you have had enough experience in other cars to know if you enjoy the GS or not.

Old 07-05-05, 08:54 PM
fatman
Driver School Candidate

Maybe Your Right, But I Love It When People Get Inside Of My Car And Tell Me How Nice It Is. Then They Want To Play With The Nav Screen. I Think I Am Scared To Spend The Money On Mods And Not See Any Benifits. My Car Is Has The Factory Rims, Even If I Decide To Keep It, I Will Keep Them On. I Had 20inch Giovannia Genoas , But Someone Liked Them More Than I Did, But They Were Nice Enough To Leave Me 4 Bricks In Their Place. I Was Lazy And Forgot To Put The Car In The Garage. Those Rims Really Slowed Me Down, But They Looked So Nice, But There Is A Big Difference In Power With The Stock Rims.

I Will Admit, I Am Very Confused Right Now, Because I Want The Best Of Both Worlds (luxury And Power), Without Spending A Ton Of Money. One Of The Reasons I Bought The Gs Is Because Of Its Power And Reliabilty. I Had A Gs 300 For About 3 Months. Loved The Look (white, With Black Interior, And 21inch Rims) But The Car Could Not Get Out Its Own Way With Those Rims. I Sold It And Bought The 540.
Old 07-05-05, 09:03 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I have not lost to a 540 yet or any other BMW for that matter...

There is a 97 540 in the family and it has had nothing but problems with 10K less miles than my GS and they curse that car everytime they get to joy ride with me in the 400...
I have driven both and my GS feels faster off the line and through the powerband which to me is even more important than the car lengths I put on the 540 evertime we are headed to the same location.

Old 07-05-05, 10:09 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

1/4 mi. - 14.3 seconds (sea level)
0-60 - 5.8 seconds

bone stock - i got it off a website that i look up all stat's on
Old 07-06-05, 03:10 PM
jskim9
Rookie

Originally Posted by fatman
I Had 20inch Giovannia Genoas , But Someone Liked Them More Than I Did, But They Were Nice Enough To Leave Me 4 Bricks In Their Place. I Was Lazy And Forgot To Put The Car In The Garage.
that's the funniest way of describing something so sad...
Old 07-06-05, 04:57 PM
fatman
Driver School Candidate

Well I Made A Decision, I Am Going To Keep The Gs. Driving Home From Work Is A Pleasure And I Think I Am Going To Look For A Buick T-type To Play With. The Gs Is Such A Nice Car And The Ride Is Beyond Anything I Have Driven. I Am Going To The Track (atco) As Soon As The Weather Cools Off. Once I Get A Base Line Run, I Will Start The Mods. Thanks Guys And I Will Post More In The Future, Because I Am Always Looking For A Little Race.
Old 07-07-05, 06:55 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Why Do You Type So Funny? Just Kiddin'....Welcome To CL.....
Old 07-07-05, 03:29 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

its not a grand national... i had a national and a gs at the same time a friend of mine has the same exact gs blue on tan with 17s and i raced him with the national we were even for a while but in the latter part i pulled on him no upgrades on the national TTOP car
Old 07-07-05, 03:47 PM
fatman
Driver School Candidate

I can't see how the Gs stayed with the National from the begining, unless it is stock. With my stock turbo, My car ran a consistant 13.3 @ 100mph. That was with 18 psi. When I upgraded my turbo (TE44) street slicks, 2800 stall, dump pipe, and 23 psi with race fuel, my National ran 11.8 @ 113mph. The Grand National's power band is from the start. The first 60 foot time is important. The car is really dangerous if you can leave with boost. i would leave with 3-4 psi when I had slicks on. If the car is stock you could press the emergency brake, build boost and release. The car would snap your neck, because it would build boost, because the emergency brake would act as a trans brake. I am not saying it didn't happen, I am just telling you how easy it is to make the National launch.

Quick Reply: gs 430 fast?, hmmm