GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

pics of new leatherseats interior

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-05, 06:56 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by corkycal
wow ed, it looks great. i guess your the jack of all trades when it comes to diy stuff.

thanks calvin

after talking with you on the phone a few times i think you understand where i come from , alot money can be saved from doing your own stuff or by helping each other as a club do things we all get to mod on together and allocate the funds to purchases instead of installers
Old 07-12-05, 09:59 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice bro!! Nice colors!
Mine are still sitting downstairs because I need to redo my tint and don't want my new leather installed before then.
Old 07-12-05, 10:43 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Very very nice!!!

What was the color of your interior before this upgrade Ed? Got any pics to show the "before" stage?
Old 07-12-05, 11:34 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexAristo
Very nice bro!! Nice colors!
Mine are still sitting downstairs because I need to redo my tint and don't want my new leather installed before then.

thanks bro much appreciated

hameed

my color was just plain ivory/tan , i wanted something more sporty but not to overtake the car for i am not into the show scene by a long shot ,, i am into go then just alittle show

thanks for comps as well hameed
Old 07-12-05, 05:03 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

seats looks great man. congrats on the new interior
Old 07-13-05, 05:34 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ARISTO*7
seats looks great man. congrats on the new interior

thanks bro , everytime i drive now i find mindself molesting my seats rubbing the leather for it feels so rich
Old 07-14-05, 01:03 PM
GSAristo
Driver

lexforlife,

You're interior looks great!

I'm also tackling the install of my new leather from leatherseats.com. I've done the rear bench seat. No problems - just took a newbie 3 hours! Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist - cause as my buddy that was helping me told me that no one will see the underside of the seats! LOL

Anyways, I've got some questions for you:

1) I can't figure out how to remove the cup holder or its front trim bezel. I found a link from Banana GS but he show the foam being cut up underneath. I really don't want to do that.
How did you replace the rear armrest leather?

2) How difficult was the front seats to do? Is there any tricks or things to watch out for when removing the trim panels around the seat bottom? I know that I need to unplug the battery negative because of the seat air bag.

3) Did you have to remove the seats from your car? I was told that I needed to do that. Or can I just unplug and unbolt everything and just lean it back? If you did take them out, given that they're power seats, do you remember what was the optimum angles for the bottom and backrest so that you could easily wrestle them out the door opening?

Thanks,
Allan
Old 07-14-05, 09:34 PM
dannieboiz
Pole Position

Hey nice color combo, how about this for a color combo? LOLZ DId it to my old Acura Legend about 4 years ago. Why didn't you get the free embroildery? (spelling) I couldn't find pix of the front seats but here's a pix of them during the install.

For those that are thinking about doing this. I would recommend buying their hog ring kits even though their plier sucks but it'll be impossible to finish without them. Takes a few weeks in the sun before things shrinks and looks more snugged that's why you see wrinkles here.

Old 07-15-05, 05:35 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by al2jzge
lexforlife,

You're interior looks great!

I'm also tackling the install of my new leather from leatherseats.com. I've done the rear bench seat. No problems - just took a newbie 3 hours! Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist - cause as my buddy that was helping me told me that no one will see the underside of the seats! LOL

Anyways, I've got some questions for you:

1) I can't figure out how to remove the cup holder or its front trim bezel. I found a link from Banana GS but he show the foam being cut up underneath. I really don't want to do that.
How did you replace the rear armrest leather?

2) How difficult was the front seats to do? Is there any tricks or things to watch out for when removing the trim panels around the seat bottom? I know that I need to unplug the battery negative because of the seat air bag.

3) Did you have to remove the seats from your car? I was told that I needed to do that. Or can I just unplug and unbolt everything and just lean it back? If you did take them out, given that they're power seats, do you remember what was the optimum angles for the bottom and backrest so that you could easily wrestle them out the door opening?

Thanks,
Allan
thanks for the comps

as far as the rear console cup holder you don not remove it , once you remove the back seat and snip off the hog rings from the back that are around the console , their are 2 bolts holding it in place once you remove the bolts you can remove the console , then proceed to remove the side pieces, then un zipper from the rear, the front part arounfd the bezel is jammed behind the plastic trim , with a small screwdriver gentlty pry the metal around the cup holder to allow for the leather to release so you can pull it out , they pull the leather from around the plastic trim .. to put on new piece slide over the foam , get a sharp razor blade and make a slit exactly where the cup holder is and start tucking behind the bezel , it took me about 2 hrs to get it 90% to my liking but one day when i am in the mood i will redo that part

as far as the front seats , i did my leather install with the seats still plugged in , i did not want to chance throwing a srs airbag code from disconnecting the plug for the side air bag and furthermore doing the backs of the front seat is easier being able to move the seat while power is still on to it , the bottoms of the front separate from the actual frame anyhow so once the 4 bolts are removed you take the seat bottom out and work on it

good luck on your install and just take your time bro
Old 07-15-05, 03:33 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Ed,
I'm going to admit something, I was a little envious when I saw your new interior last weekend. Not because it looks good. Not because you got something new. I applaud every man for what they get or earn. My envy is because you do it yourself. I know there is nothing like the feeling of a job well done by your own hands. Congrats.
Old 07-15-05, 03:49 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by reggiek
Hey Ed,
I'm going to admit something, I was a little envious when I saw your new interior last weekend. Not because it looks good. Not because you got something new. I applaud every man for what they get or earn. My envy is because you do it yourself. I know there is nothing like the feeling of a job well done by your own hands. Congrats.

thanks reg , i appreciate those kind words bro , you and i will always remain bro

i always respected your style
Old 07-16-05, 08:32 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the new interior nice job
Old 07-18-05, 06:37 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
Love the new interior nice job

thanks brotha , appreciate the comps

i found a placc online that will do higher density custom floor mats , i was thinking of getting a set doing the same theme colorwise in them with custom embroidery , the stock mats look terrible after a few months of use so i am tired of buying over and over again

what do you guys think
Old 07-18-05, 07:34 AM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexforlife
thanks brotha , appreciate the comps

i found a placc online that will do higher density custom floor mats , i was thinking of getting a set doing the same theme colorwise in them with custom embroidery , the stock mats look terrible after a few months of use so i am tired of buying over and over again

what do you guys think
I think custom embroidered mats to match the color scheme of the new seats would look awesome, especially if you have matching color personalized logos on the mats. I think that would look pretty sweet Ed.
Old 07-19-05, 12:27 PM
GSAristo
Driver

lexforlife,

Thanks for the info on doing the rear armrest and front seats. I finished up most of the install last saturday. I took my time doing it as you recommended - so it took most of the day.

I still have to do the front headrests and finish the rear armrest. I was way too tired to risk cutting the leather for my headrest monitors and the rear cupholder.

Regarding the headrests, did you find that the new leather covers seem to be too big for the headrests? Or will the headrest foam eventually expand to fill the new leather covers?

- Allan

PS: I went with a color combo like you did, but a little different. I'll post pics as soon as everything is completed.