GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS300/400 HID Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-01, 10:40 AM
Cruxader

nanotech i'll talk to him and see what he wants for it...not sure what color his interior is so i'll ask him about that too

sunvisors being those things on top of the driver and passenger that flip to block the sun?

as for aftermarket HIDs...Philips makes HID kits for many cars and I'm sure if they were illegal Philips wouldn't make them...just a thought
Old 07-01-01, 11:02 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, sun visors are those things that block the sun...what year model is his car?
Old 07-01-01, 12:11 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Cruxader
as for aftermarket HIDs...Philips makes HID kits for many cars and I'm sure if they were illegal Philips wouldn't make them...just a thought
Does Phillips say they are legal for on-road use? Lots of companies make components for cars that are illegal to use on the road. They get away with it by labeling them for off-road use only...like the HIDs you can buy via the net. Every one I've seen has a "for off-road use only" or "may not be legal in all states" disclaimer.

My understanding is that HIDs without leveling are illegal because of their potential to blind oncoming drivers.

So, one thing to remember when you're installing this goodie:

You may be the guy everyone driving towards you is calling a selfish ***** for the glare you create so you can be cool...or you may temporarily blind someone coming towards you and cause a serious accident.
Old 07-01-01, 02:06 PM
CJGS4
Rookie

The truth is... some HID aftermarket kits work, and some don't....Depending on what car you're retrofitting for sometimes you don't need a self-leveling system. I know for one, that HID aftermarket systems which replace H7 halogen headlights are perfectly fine because even though there is no self leveling system the beam pattern of H7 bulbs and their respective reflectors is so tight and so well aimed that there is no way for other drivers to be blinded. In comparison, aftermarket systems for 9006 halogen headlights do not work quite as well... For example, the GS300 and the RX300 use 9006 halogen bulbs while the LX470 and also the Mercedes 2001 CLK use H7 halogen bulbs (when not equipped with the HID option). If you have ever compared these cars you will notice that the H7 lights used in the LX470 and CLK already have a very efficient and focused beam pattern which does not blind oncoming drivers whereas the 9006 bulbs used in the GS300 and RX300 create a lot more glare. The addition of aftermarket HID lighting only compounds this problem even more causing extreme amounts of glare.... So to make this whole rambling short... Aftermarket HID lighting systems can be dangerous and cause extreme amounts of glare but only when retrofitted to certain vehicles....

-Chris Y.
Old 07-01-01, 02:14 PM
CJGS4
Rookie

The truth is... some HID aftermarket kits work, and some don't....Depending on what car you're retrofitting for sometimes you don't need a self-leveling system. I know for one, that HID aftermarket systems which replace H7 halogen headlights are perfectly fine because even though there is no self leveling system the beam pattern of H7 bulbs and their respective reflectors is so tight and so well aimed that there is no way for other drivers to be blinded. In comparison, aftermarket systems for 9006 halogen headlights do not work quite as well... For example, the GS300 and the RX300 use 9006 halogen bulbs while the LX470 and also the Mercedes 2001 CLK use H7 halogen bulbs (when not equipped with the HID option). If you have ever compared these cars you will notice that the H7 lights used in the LX470 and CLK already have a very efficient and focused beam pattern which does not blind oncoming drivers whereas the 9006 bulbs used in the GS300 and RX300 create a lot more glare. The addition of aftermarket HID lighting only compounds this problem even more causing extreme amounts of glare.... So to make this whole rambling short... Aftermarket HID lighting systems can be dangerous and cause extreme amounts of glare but only when retrofitted to certain vehicles....

-Chris Y.
Old 07-01-01, 02:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,397 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally posted by nanotech
yes, sun visors are those things that block the sun...what year model is his car?
I don't think this answer is respectful to the innocent question asked.
Old 07-01-01, 02:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,397 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally posted by CJGS4
I know for one, that HID aftermarket systems which replace H7 halogen headlights are perfectly fine because even though there is no self leveling system the beam pattern of H7 bulbs and their respective reflectors is so tight and so well aimed that there is no way for other drivers to be blinded.
Um, I was wondering, respectfully, of course, what you thought might happen to that very tight beam when there's a lot of weight in the back of the vehicle or for some other reason (accleration, bump, dip) the back end sits down or the front comes up - won't that tight beam be destroying the retinas of people in other vehicles?

Old 07-01-01, 02:58 PM
CJGS4
Rookie

That's another issue which I did not address... and it comes back to the issue of how HID retrofits are only for a few certain cars.... If your car is lowered (through higher rate springs),,.. More than likely having people in the back or extra weight in the back is not going to make the front end tilt upward. In addition, low beams are already aimed downwards normally. Having weight in the back won't necessarily make the headlights any more blinding. The fact that halogen lights don't come with self-leveling systems is an attestment to this....Of course if you do have HID aftermarket bulbs without a self-leveling system it is a good idea to have your headlights re-aimed. HID lights have a much wider and further spread and therefore you can aim them a little bit lower than regular halogen lights while still retaining a brighter and wider beam spread...

-Chris Y.
Old 07-01-01, 03:45 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Here's the problem.

There are people out there who know nothing about the danger it poses to increase the power of their headlights. And I don't believe that simply using higher spring rates when lowering a car eliminates the car being raised with weight in the back...it may reduce it but not eliminate it.

Nonetheless, by doing a half-assed HID conversion (which most will be because most people doing it are just about capable of switching the bulbs - let alone installing the complete system) these people are risking other people's lives.

And what of those who install the entire Lexus HID system -- and leave out the leveling capability? How safe is that?

I'm not thrilled when someone's lack of knowledge or caring risks their own life, but it seriously pisses me off when their actions risk other people's lives.
Old 07-01-01, 06:09 PM
Cruxader

your concern is noted...i just need a copy of the page in the owners manual to deinstall it off the car...if someone has this to scan in it would be greatly appreciated...after i get ALL the components related to it i will take it to a pro tuner shop and have it installed...they verified that they would make sure its leveled correctly

i'm not even sure all cars with HIDs have autolevelers...like the Acura 3.2TL, or if its even really needed

nanotech...the car is a beige leather interior, its a 2nd gen GS (96 to 00 i believe)...if you want to know the exact age tell me and i'll ask

Old 07-01-01, 06:58 PM
mkilty
Lead Lap

Guys,

My 98 GS400 did not have HID's when I bought the car. I put on OEM HID's without the auto-leveler. It works beautifully and I NEVER had anyone complain to me that the beam bothered them.

If you can get OEM HID's use them instead of an aftermarket unit.
Old 07-01-01, 07:32 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Michael,

WIDR (With All Due Respect), who, of those coming towards you are going to track you down and complain about your headlights?

I still think that, without the auto levelers, you are not being considerate?? safe?? to those driving towards you.
Old 07-01-01, 07:43 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RealMarty

I'm not thrilled when someone's lack of knowledge or caring risks their own life, but it seriously pisses me off when their actions risk other people's lives. [/B]
Great! Now we're talking about killing people. I'm talking about installing a lighting system that works to improve the driver's awareness of the road. If HID headlamps are properly adjusted they work fine. Just as any other type of headlamp. I'd love to see data that shows deaths or accidents related to HID headlamps without auto leveling. Do all factory HID systems come with auto leveling, no matter what auto maker? Get off the soap box!
Old 07-01-01, 08:02 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DevildogIS300

Great! Now we're talking about killing people. I'm talking about installing a lighting system that works to improve the driver's awareness of the road. If HID headlamps are properly adjusted they work fine. Just as any other type of headlamp. I'd love to see data that shows deaths or accidents related to HID headlamps without auto leveling. Do all factory HID systems come with auto leveling, no matter what auto maker? Get off the soap box!
I have no problem with your installing the WHOLE system. But when you leave out a key component (auto-leveling) to an OEM system I believe it's inappropriate and unsafe.
Old 07-01-01, 09:07 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

The matter of effectiveness, "look", consideration or safety might not matter at all if those deemed knowledgable (local lawmakers) decide against it. Find out the law first.

Quick Reply: GS300/400 HID Lights