GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS300/400 HID Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-01, 09:24 PM
mkilty
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by RealMarty
Michael,

WIDR (With All Due Respect), who, of those coming towards you are going to track you down and complain about your headlights?

I still think that, without the auto levelers, you are not being considerate?? safe?? to those driving towards you.
I actually got some friends together to act as oncoming traffic and we tried on various two lane highways some with dips and some just level to see if they were blinded by the HID's.

The system passed thumbs-up. I also live in an area where my local law enforcement passes by me constantly and if they were blinded they would have stop me. They stop everyone for the smallest perceived infraction.

Now each state will have it's own laws on the books so check out what your state has before doing this.

Old 07-01-01, 09:32 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cruxader:

that's good that its a beige leather interior, that's what mine is too, I have a 2nd gen GS too, but, I would like to know what exact year GS he has and about how much would he want for the parts I mentioned before, thanks
Old 07-01-01, 10:56 PM
Cruxader

i agree with michael...obviously those of us that install HIDs have to be considerate, but if you install kits, even aftermarket and you have them properly leveled, they don't seem to cause any problem, whether with or without an autoleveler, with regard to the law, and with regard to oncoming traffic...

nanotech: i'll get back to you on the exact year...as for how much he said he's not sure of how much these things are worth so email me jonathan@semperex.com and tell me what you think a fair price (shipped) is and i'll pass that along to him and see what he says
Old 07-01-01, 11:32 PM
Presario
Driver

I researched extensively on HID lights. All manufacturers have a leveling system. It just wouldn't be legal otherwise. I don't think that assuming your beams are aimed properly will cut it. When the car is going up a hill, when people are in the back seat, etc will all affect the direction the HIDs are pointing. The reason self leveling systems are ok is that the beam lowers itself when the car senses a rise in the vertical beam pattern. H7s or 9006 or not, aftermarket HIDs may not be safe. But if you have them properly aligned and pointed, it may minimize the danger of aftermarket HIDs. Think about it. If you are coming towards a car without properly aligned HIDs, you are without a doubt blinded temporarily. Of course there is danger in that! Anyways, if anyone gets aftermarket HIDs, have them properly aligned and test them as Michael Kilty did. Then you should be okay.

-Andy
Old 07-02-01, 12:36 AM
mkilty
Lead Lap

Oh I also have the HID'S from Lexus itself. Mine are not aftermarket but original GS HID's.....I have the auto-level unit but my wiring harness is different and won't work with my current setup.

On a lighter note:

NEWSFLASH! US LIGHTING REGULATORS INVENT DARKNESS DEVICE!
From the folks that brought you the sealed beam headlamp!
WASHINGTON (AP) US regulators today announced a breakthrough in the form of what they are calling the "Flashdark"--a device for darkening bright areas. "We've had flashlights for years to illuminate dark areas," said Jere Medlin, head of US vehicular lighting and signalling regulations. "This marvelous device will enable us to create headlamps and rear lamps that are less effective than ever before." NHTSA spokesman Jeremy Meldon agreed: "It's about time we stopped focusing on meaningful safety improvements in cars and started focusing on making sure everybody can't see to an equal level."

The devices will first be available to consumers in the spring of 1999 in battery-powered, hold-in-the-hand form. Automakers are currently in closed-door negotiations with US-DOT (Utterly Stupid Darkness Optimization Technologies) to license the rights to US-DOT's DarkMaker, a bulky yet amazingly inefficient version of the device.

Meldon, whose office is within NHTSA (No Headlamps To See with in America) applauded the innovative spirit that led to the development of the DarkMaker. "This will take auto safety regulation in North America to new levels of mediocrity", he gushed. Meldon's own 1998 Ford Mondeo sedan is equipped with prototype DarkMakers.

For more information, contact US-DOT or NHTSA.