GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Windshield specks

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-05, 05:54 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Windshield specks

Hey guys. About a week ago, I noticed that I had a bunch of little specks all over my windshield. At first, I thought it was tree sap, but I've cleaned the windshield several times with Windex and now Stoners INvisible Glass and the specks persist. There are literally hundreds (yes, hundreds if not more) of these specks all over my windshield. I mainly notice them when driving into the sun, but if you focus on the windshield (as opposed to through it), you can see them pretty much all the time. I've tried picking at them from both sides of the glass, and I can't get them to budge. It's almost as if they are embedded in the glass. I don't think they're stone chips because (a) they're literally the size of a piece of lint, and (b) they are everywhere on my windshield. Does anyone else have this issue? Is there anything that can be done to solve it short of getting a new windshield? Thanks.

e-man
Old 07-13-05, 06:23 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey e- did you try white vinegar? you sure they aren't chips?
Old 07-13-05, 06:30 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chuckb
hey e- did you try white vinegar? you sure they aren't chips?
Hey Chuck. I haven't tried white vinegar yet. I'll head down to the garage and give that a try tonight. Here's why I don't think they're chips. There are literally hundreds (maybe even a thousand) of these specks everywhere on the windshield. I just can't believe that each one of these specks is a chip. And, if they were chips, I would assume that the finish on the hood would have really taken a beating, and it just hasn't. Other than some normal stone chips in the front (which you've seen), that's about it.

Also, I've tried to pick at the specks with my fingernail, and my fingernail doesn't catch. Like I said, it's almost as if they're embedded in the glass. I would take a picture, but I don't think it would show up. Worst case scenario, I could toss a new windshield in there, but those can be expensive, and I'd be afraid that it wouldn't sit as flush or tight as the stock one.
Old 07-13-05, 08:36 PM
iampraneel
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same thing on my windsheild and its not tree sap. Its rockchips the size of lint. My buddy who has over 130,000 mi on his car has it bad.
Old 07-13-05, 08:58 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Prepboy607
I have the same thing on my windsheild and its not tree sap. Its rockchips the size of lint. My buddy who has over 130,000 mi on his car has it bad.
Yeah, it almost looks as if the windshield was sandblasted. The specks are no larger than a grain of sand.

I really don't want to replace the windshield. My 98 had an aftermarket windshield and I always felt that the aftermarket glass and/or install caused excess wind noise. Does anyone else have any further thoughts?
Old 07-13-05, 10:56 PM
BobaDrift
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same thing on my hood as well. They are little rock chips. I got mine when driving in SoCal on the highway during an extremely windy night. Sand was blowing all across the highway and that is when the chips occurred.
Old 07-14-05, 04:03 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I have some on my windshield and believe they are rock chips as well. I tried to clay it off, use my fingernail, everything and it just wont come off. With mine you can only see the majority of them if you are inside the car and the sun is shining through the windshield. It still bothers me and I want to replace the windshield soon
Old 07-14-05, 08:34 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

well I had the same problem and it bugged me for a long time til one day driving on the 710 South (alot of trucks on that fwy going to the port ) a huge A$$ rock hit me right on the driver side and busted up my window ...I got quoted for the window from a dealer at ove 1k and from carson toyota for about 700+ ...I ended up going w/ an after market 400+ and hey for the money its apretty good job ...Yes its not Oem quality but no one can tell its not ....lol
and I cant tell any difference in wind noise ...but if its really going to bug you go w/ oem
Old 07-14-05, 08:39 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I am hoping that a rock hits my windshield. My insurance company replaces any windshield that is cracked or damaged with no deductible. I am pretty sure it is like that in FL. I had my windshield replaced on my Nissan PU when it was cracked and I paid nothing
Old 07-14-05, 10:10 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
I am hoping that a rock hits my windshield. My insurance company replaces any windshield that is cracked or damaged with no deductible. I am pretty sure it is like that in FL. I had my windshield replaced on my Nissan PU when it was cracked and I paid nothing

thats pretty good I should get that next time...who do you have ?
Old 07-14-05, 11:44 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

same here. I had mine replaced last year because of a chip for free. I have Allstate. I insisted they install an oem windshield and molding kit. I was going to have the dealer do it, but they just referred me to who does their installs.
Old 07-14-05, 12:57 PM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a bunch of those tiny chips too. I think it was during a drive home from work where a truck was carrying sand and that thing was just blowing it all over the freeway. I started hearing the snap, crackle and pop noise like from a bowl of rice crispys in milk. I knew it was sand but I couldn't tell where it was coming from. I sped up to see if I can pass the layer of sand in the air and about 2-3 miles up I finally saw the damn sand truck. Only when I passed it did the crackling stop.
Old 07-14-05, 01:04 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The windshield on my old GS300 was full of these "spreckles." In bright sunlight, they were really apparent and looked bad.

I think the majority of them came during my first month of ownership, when I was driving thru the grapevine on I-5 during the winter. The roads were full of salt, dirt and debris d/t the snow. For a few miles, I was being sandblasted by the traffic ahead of me. I ended up having to repaint the front end of the GS.
Old 07-14-05, 01:25 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LEXISM
thats pretty good I should get that next time...who do you have ?
I have State Farm, but I think in FL it is required that insurance companies fix windshields that are cracked or damaged at no cost to the owner
Old 07-14-05, 01:35 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

I have State Farm, but I think in FL it is required that insurance companies fix windshields that are cracked or damaged at no cost to the owner
I think you are right

Quick Reply: Windshield specks