GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

TTe installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-05, 06:12 AM
NesTea420
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTe installation

So I am finally going to install my tte lip this weekend, well I am going attempt. I got the driller and the epoxy from PePboys. It looks like i have to mix it up or something, it came in 2 packets and I have 5 mins to install it before it sets once its mixed. Is this the right kind? I still have to go get the sand paper.

Any advices before I start my saturday project?

Thank you.

Last edited by NesTea420; 07-14-05 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-14-05, 07:18 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NesTea420
So I am finally going to install my tte lip this weekend, well I am going attempt. I got the driller and the epoxy from PePboys. It looks like i have to mix it up or something, it came in 2 packets and I have 5 mins to install it before it sets once its mixed. Is this the right kind? I still have to go get the sand paper.

Thank you.

please post a pic of exactly what bonding agent you intend to use for if its the wrong agent your lip will fall off while driving at hwy speeds

you should be using a urethene to urethene bonding/sealing agent that does not req mixing and takes a few hrs to cure
Old 07-14-05, 07:33 AM
Eliel
Rookie

Default TTe install

Hey man, congrats with the spoiler. That is one of the best looks for for the GS. The best thing you can do to intall this item is as follow. You are going to need someone to hepl.

1- Place spoiler in place under bumper. Once in place take a wax pencil, outline location.
2- Take sand paper (80-120) sand are below pencil mark until rough. Clean area w/ degreacer.
3- Put back spoiler in place, double check line.
4- Apply screws at bottom & ends of spoiler.
5- Believe or not use clear silicon from Home Depot, aplly a line (1/4" thick) of it at 3/16" to 1/4" from wax line.
6- With your partner's help, lift spoiler in place, use 2" blue masking tape & start taping from center out to each end. Place pieces of tape ( 30" long) in 3" increments from bottom of spoiler to top of bumper. Pull tape until spoiler is in place.
7- Place car in area that can stay overnight (garage, etc.), use a 50" piece of 2x4, place in under
spoiler. Place jack under 2x4 & apply gentel preassure to it.
8- Next morning, remove jack, tape & cut out excess silicon carefully & you should be good to go.

I hope this can help you. It should look great with no screw holes visible. Good luck!

Last edited by Eliel; 07-14-05 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-14-05, 07:50 AM
NesTea420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Eliel
Hey man, congrats with the spoiler. That is one of the best looks for for the GS. The best thing you can do to intall this item is as follow. You are going to need someone to hepl.

1- Place spoiler in place under bumper. Once in place take a wax pencil, outline location.
2- Take sand paper (80-120) sand are below pencil mark until rough. Clean area w/ degreacer.
5- Believe or not use cleas silicon from Home Depot, aplly a line (1/4" thick) of it at 3/16" to 1/4" from wax line.
6- With your partner's help, lift spoiler in place, use 2" blue masking tape & start taping from center out to each end. Place pieces of tape ( 30" long) in 3" increments from bottom of spoiler to top of bumper. Pull tape until spoiler is in place.
7- Place car in area that can stay overnight (garage, etc.), use a 50" piece of 2x4, place in under
8- Next morning, remove jack, tape & cut out excess silicon carefully & you should be good to go.

I hope this can help you. It should look great with no screw holes visible. Good luck!
That's some good stuff man! Thanks!
Old 07-14-05, 07:52 AM
NesTea420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexforlife
please post a pic of exactly what bonding agent you intend to use for if its the wrong agent your lip will fall off while driving at hwy speeds

you should be using a urethene to urethene bonding/sealing agent that does not req mixing and takes a few hrs to cure

I don't think I have right stuff. It said rubber and plactic bonding...so I am not sure now. I'll check it when I get home.

Where would I get urethene bonding agent? PepBoyz?
Old 07-14-05, 08:01 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Eliel

5- Believe or not use cleas silicon from Home Depot, aplly a line (1/4" thick) of it at 3/16" to 1/4" from wax line.

Now that is a thorough write up on a TTE Lip install!! You would almost think that Eliel wrote the manual.
Old 07-14-05, 11:41 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

actually eliel and i did our gs together back in the day but his instructions as laid out are correct but with one exception , you cannot use silcone to bond the top , it will not bond or create a strong enough bond for the lip to withstand hwy winds nor heat

you must use a urethene to urethene bonding agent similar to what tte sent but the one we used , if you remember eliel, was a stronger more permant kind ,
Old 07-14-05, 11:43 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think I have right stuff. It said rubber and plactic bonding...so I am not sure now. I'll check it when I get home.

Where would I get urethene bonding agent? PepBoyz?

try a car glass shop they use this exact stuff to install windsheilds on cars thats who gave me mine twice when we did eliel, mine and alsilverbuller, pmatrix and indios cars
Old 07-14-05, 11:52 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought the TTE lip came with instructions, cleaning agent, and a tube of adhesive?
Old 07-14-05, 11:53 AM
NesTea420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexforlife
try a car glass shop they use this exact stuff to install windsheilds on cars thats who gave me mine twice when we did eliel, mine and alsilverbuller, pmatrix and indios cars

I'll got to a glass store then...I don't want my lip to fly off on the road.
Old 07-14-05, 11:59 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I remember seeing this pic awhile back.....this is Indio's pic....installing his TTE lip.

Dayam!!! Do you think he needs more tape?

Good luck!!

Pete

Old 07-14-05, 12:15 PM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

instead of tapeing up the car,, just borrow 3 sissor jack,(stock) and but 1 in the middle and 1 on each corner, then turn the jack till it is snug under the lip. take the jacks out of ur friends and family car, use more jacks if u can get ur hands on them. but the jacks work best, its ez and adjustable.
Old 07-14-05, 12:24 PM
NesTea420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PHML
I remember seeing this pic awhile back.....this is Indio's pic....installing his TTE lip.

Dayam!!! Do you think he needs more tape?

Good luck!!

Pete

OGM!!
Old 07-14-05, 12:40 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

yeah thats indios car in my garage while i am installing his lip the tape is provide for pressure along the top edge of the lip while the bonding agent cures for 12hrs and hardens

no jokes about my garage please
Old 07-15-05, 12:56 AM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you.
If you are a DIY'er the instructions laid out in this thread should serve you well, if you choose to go the body shop route make SURE they know what they are doing because once installed it's not coming off! I have seen the results of a bad install and it aint pretty, keep some mineral spirits handy and the minute you start to snug it up wipe off any excess sealer, shortly after my install I decided to go for the molded look and had JM Lexus body shop apply seam sealer and repaint the entire front bumper, I think it came out pretty good.

Closeup.

Last edited by Indio; 07-15-05 at 01:02 AM.

Quick Reply: TTe installation