GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-05, 08:37 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Front license plate?

I bought my GS430 from another state, where it did not require a license plate in front, but now that i have it in NYC, i do need to put one there. However, there's nothing on the front bumper to mount the license plate/plate holder to. Does lexus sell some sort of a kit, or do I need to drill holes?
Old 07-14-05, 08:43 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya know I have the same problem here in MA. I dont wanna put any holes in my lsportline bumper plus it looks terrible so what i was thinking was get one of those magentic ones and jus tpop it on when you are in areas that they look for a plate.
Like my hometown is small and they bust my ***** about it but not in the city, so I throw it on in my town but take it off once I am outside the town. Just gotta fidnt hose magnetic holders like the dealers use
Old 07-14-05, 08:45 AM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look in the trunk by the jack. the license install kit sould be there. i am also spposed to have on the front plate but dont. i have never been messed with. cop over look us alot of times.
Old 07-14-05, 08:52 AM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

I got pulled over last year for not lic plate on the front (which is required here in California). So I drilled the holes into my front (stock) bumper and got the ticket signed off. I see a lot of cars on the road w'h no front plates, but at least I have peace of mind knowing I wont get pulled over for it again (because last time the got me for my tint being too dark in addition to the no plates...and I havent changed my tint...and as the mods keep coming, I dont need to draw any extra attention to my car from the police)....
Old 07-14-05, 09:13 AM
LT. LEX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the bracket for the front license plate about two days ago. It cost me $39 from the dealer. It's actually a universal piece of plastic. You may want to go over to Toyota and see if they have the same piece for less. I still had to screw it into the holes in my bumper however.
Old 07-14-05, 09:26 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

dont worry about the front ...shoot I dont have a front or rear...

see my sig thats how my car is all the time
Old 07-14-05, 10:21 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexis11
Ya know I have the same problem here in MA. I dont wanna put any holes in my lsportline bumper plus it looks terrible so what i was thinking was get one of those magentic ones and jus tpop it on when you are in areas that they look for a plate.
Like my hometown is small and they bust my ***** about it but not in the city, so I throw it on in my town but take it off once I am outside the town. Just gotta fidnt hose magnetic holders like the dealers use
Hmmm, magnetic plate holder. I like the sound of that. I got my car from Ohio and it didn't have any holes drilled in the front for a plate. I can't even count how many "NO FRONT PLATE DISPLAYED" tickets I got.

Do you think it would work for the front of the car?
Old 07-14-05, 10:43 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Default License plate brackets

I refuse to put holes on my front of my bumper ...so I used Rominl method...

go to home Depot and pick up 2 L brackets and some screws and nuts first screw the license plate to the L bracket ....then the L bracket to the bottom mid section of the of you bumper and your done ...it gives it a nice floating look and no holes on the front of your bumper
Old 07-14-05, 10:48 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front plates are required by law in VA too, but I've seen people that had the plate attached to the inside of the windshield with suction cups (no rattles or scratches to the dash)
Old 07-14-05, 12:15 PM
iampraneel
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXISM
I refuse to put holes on my front of my bumper ...so I used Rominl method...

go to home Depot and pick up 2 L brackets and some screws and nuts first screw the license plate to the L bracket ....then the L bracket to the bottom mid section of the of you bumper and your done ...it gives it a nice floating look and no holes on the front of your bumper

Hey i was going to suggest this...haha...but yea...this is a great idea that i read on CL a while ago...a buddy of mine did this after he got pulled over for not having a front plate and it turned out great...if i ever run into this problem that is what im going to do....i've gotten 2 tickets so far but i've been lucky and got them signed off....front plates on some cars just dont look right to me IMHO.