GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Windshield vent

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-05, 02:10 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Windshield vent

As many of know, I've put my windshield under the microscope for the past few days. And, Neo, you're right, I now have my answer. They are definitely microscopic granular-like chips. They're really only visible when driving into direct sunlight, so I'll deal for a while.

In looking so closely at my windshield, I noticed something odd about the windshield vent in the dash that I hadn't noticed before (either on this car or my 98). I'm hoping someone could take a picture of their vent and confirm this for me. Basically, there is a plastic vent that sits in the top center part of the dash where the dash meets the windshield. What's weird is that it seems as if the vent sits higher at the middle and is slightly more recessed out towards at the edges. I also noticed some black glue oozing out from the outside edges of the vent where it attaches to the dash. Does everyone else's vent look like this? I wouldn't have even noticed it if it weren't for the fact that I was obsessing over all of those tiny stone chips/specks. Anyway, can anyone let me know if this is the way it's supposed to look?

Also, can I use a Q-tip and Goo Gone to remove the glue? Will Goo Gone damage the dash?

Last edited by e-man; 07-14-05 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-14-05, 05:52 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not quite sure what you're talking about e. a pic would help. do you mean the inside vents or the intake vents outside the cabin?

EDIT: I'd keep goo gone away from the dash too. so I guess that means inside vents
Old 07-14-05, 05:56 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chuckb
not quite sure what you're talking about e. a pic would help. do you mean the inside vents or the intake vents outside the cabin?

EDIT: I'd keep goo gone away from the dash too. so I guess that means inside vents
Chuck -- I'm talking about the defroster vent (I don't know why I didn' t say that in the first place). The vent that spans about 2/3 of center of the dash right at the base of the windshield.
Old 07-14-05, 06:00 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by e-man
Chuck -- I'm talking about the defroster vent (I don't know why I didn' t say that in the first place). The vent that spans about 2/3 of center of the dash right at the base of the windshield.
that's what I figured. I just looked at mine, it seams flush all around and definately no black ooze.
Old 07-14-05, 06:29 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Here's a picture. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a clear shot because the camera was so close. It's sitting about 1/2 below the surface of the dash and the black adhesive is oozing out. I tried to smooth it a bit. If you have a chance, post a picture of what it's supposed to look like. Weird, huh?
Attached Thumbnails Windshield vent-dscn3215-resized-.jpg  
Old 07-14-05, 06:48 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

don't mind the dirty car-I got rained on today.

Old 07-14-05, 06:58 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have any black ooze around that area either I would just try to wipe it off but definately no goo gone on the dash
Old 07-14-05, 07:08 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Thanks for posting up pictures, Chuck. Why in the heck did I have to notice that. What's weird is that the vent lies flush with the dash along the back edge of the vent (i.e., the edge of the vent that is closest to the driver/passenger seats), but appears to have sunk in about 1/2 inch along the edge closest to the windshield. I tried pulling up on it, but couldn't get any leverage to make a difference. I also tried pushing down on it, and it wouldn't budge in that direction either. I wonder why it's not sitting right. Maybe it wasn't set right from the factory. Maybe it sunk over time. Does anyone else have this issue?
Old 07-14-05, 07:47 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Here's a top view. Maybe I'm just making a big deal over nothing. Notice all the specks.
Attached Thumbnails Windshield vent-dscn3220-resized-.jpg  
Old 07-14-05, 07:57 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a top view. Maybe I'm just making a big deal over nothing. Notice all the specks.
in that pic it looks ok to me
Old 07-14-05, 08:08 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

in that pic it looks ok to me
Yeah, but it's the picture in post #5 (which is how it looks from the driver's seat) that bugs me. I wonder if there's a way to get underneath it and lift it up and out. I could then clean up the excess glue and have it reinstalled properly.
Old 07-14-05, 08:17 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, but it's the picture in post #5 (which is how it looks from the driver's seat) that bugs me. I wonder if there's a way to get underneath it and lift it up and out. I could then clean up the excess glue and have it reinstalled properly.
sounds like a job for when the windshield is out . I doubt they designed it so the windshield has to be out to remove that piece though. maybe you could hook a coat hanger in there or something. that piece probably just snaps in there. maybe you could pry it out by the edges with a screwdriver with electrical tape on tip to prevent damage.
Old 07-14-05, 08:24 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

sounds like a job for when the windshield is out . I doubt they designed it so the windshield has to be out to remove that piece though. maybe you could hook a coat hanger in there or something. that piece probably just snaps in there. maybe you could pry it out by the edges with a screwdriver with electrical tape on tip to prevent damage.
I was thinking the same thing. With the windshield out, that piece would come right out, but I'm sure there's a way to get it out with the windshield in. As for "snapping" in place, mine is definitely glued in there. I'll ask a couple of my Lexus tech friends to see how that piece is attached. I bet yours is glued as well, but it's just a much cleaner job.

By the way, I did go to Lexus today to ask about the windshield. The windshield itself costs around $650, plus molding pieces, plus installation. To get the OEM windshield, you're looking at a cool grand. If I can get my insurance to cover it, I might consider it. Otherwise, I'll deal with the specks when driving into direct sunlight.
Old 07-14-05, 08:56 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

I just looked at mine real close again, and I see no signs at all of adhesive. I also see the clips that hold it in place.
pic of one of the clips

big pic

Last edited by chuckb; 07-14-05 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-14-05, 09:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

haha regardless, eman, sit take, and relax! you are too tense man

Quick Reply: Windshield vent