GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Nav disc update

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-01, 04:57 PM
joedoe101

Question Nav disc upgrade

I bought my 2001 GS300 with Nav system in November 2000. A few days ago I ask my dealer for Nav DVD disc upgrade, which is due this spring. He said that I already have a spring disc and eligible for upgrade only at the year end.
Is it true?
Old 03-02-01, 07:49 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe, I am not sure, but I was told that the upcoming update is much more information packed than the previous edition. You will probably want it.
Old 03-02-01, 09:40 AM
joedoe101

Yes, I definitely want it, but deales says that I already have it. What I'm trying to figure out is that is it true or not.
Old 03-02-01, 10:46 AM
fever
Lead Lap

I think they're blowing smoke. The GM of Westside Lexus in Houston told me specifically there will be a much better update this September. I'll let you know when I hear more details. He said THIS is the update you want.
Old 03-02-01, 01:30 PM
joedoe101

Right, this September. I'm talking about April's update. Anyway I would appreciate any information you can share on upcoming update.
Old 03-02-01, 02:49 PM
Lakerholic

I'm not sure how it is with the 01 DVD based NAV, but with the 98-00 NAV's there is a way to check the NAV version you have. I don't know the exact steps, but I do know that it is in the menu section of the NAV where you can customize how the nav function. Play around with it and you should be able to come across a date. For example, on mine it currently reads "September 2001" (I have a 98 with NAV)

If you are going to keep your car for a while, I would suggest skipping this next upgrade (even if it is different than the one you have), especially if you are only entitled to one more free upgrade... I had an old NAV on mine, July 98, and I was told the same thing by my dealer, before getting my update: "the new NAV will have SIGNIFICANTLY more info." You know what? I don't see that much of an improvement (with the exception of new gas stations, etc.) but it still is missing a lot of ATMS, gas stations, and the like on the POI feature.

One thing to keep in mind, however, is that the "free" upgrades are only good during the warranty period of the car... I learned this the hard way and had to fight to get one free (which I did, thank you very much!!)

Good luck.

Old 03-03-01, 02:04 AM
Jooleee
Lead Lap

oh ****. i did NOT know that. my car is almost 2.5 yrs old... and i haven't gotten any upgrades yet!!! argh! i get 3 free ones, huh? dammit. someone should ***** them out for not telling people ahead of time.

hehe pardon my french.
Old 03-04-01, 11:15 AM
joedoe101

Smile

I guess you can replace you old car now and get a new Nav disc with a new car
Old 03-06-01, 11:03 AM
Lakerholic

Originally posted by Jooleee
oh ****. i did NOT know that. my car is almost 2.5 yrs old... and i haven't gotten any upgrades yet!!! argh! i get 3 free ones, huh? dammit. someone should ***** them out for not telling people ahead of time.
What year is your GS?

98's get 3, 99's 2, and 00's 1 (and, apparently 01's). As long as you are within your warranty period, you shouldn't have a problem.

Go get the latest update (October 2000) it has a lot more info than the original that came with the car.... but like I said, it is still missing some gas stations, house numbers, etc.

If your dealer has a problem, let me know - I was out of my warranty period and fought with Lexus corporate and got them to give me an update free of charge.
Old 03-06-01, 01:51 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Default not in warranty

Well, I was lucky I guess. I purchased my GS used around 6 months ago, and it still had the original Nav. I ordered the new one around 2 months ago, and it finally came in around 1 month ago. When I brought it in, the service manager asked me how many updates I had. I told him I purchased the car used from them and was unsure, but that I didn't think any were used. Well, they installed it free of charge without mentioning anything else, and on the reciept it said 1st update.

My car has 61K miles, and is no longer under the standard warranty...
Old 03-06-01, 02:52 PM
joedoe101

For 01 it supposed to be 2 free upgrades