GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rear Spoiler GS430 Paint coming off!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-01, 10:44 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I have a black GS430 with the Factory Rear Spoiler and the Paint is rubbing off! I have noticed from the beginning that the paint on the edges of the Spoiler was rough. Also it seems to scratch more easily and it needed to be waxed more than the rest of the car. I had a scratch on the Spoiler and I used rubbing compound and the paint started coming off. It became a gray-white color. My dealer seems to be giving me a hard time trying to get this Spoiler replaced. I told him I expect a new one from the factory with factory paint. I called Lexus customer service and they said they will be getting back to me on Tuesday about what they will do. Anyone else have problems with the Spoiler and how did your dealer get it resolved?
Old 06-30-01, 05:46 AM
geodesic
Driver School Candidate

I have a black '99 GS400 and the paint is great on the spoiler - same finish quality as the rest of the car. The first two possiblilties that come to my mind are either a defective factory spoiler or a cheap aftermarket one put on by the dealer and then claimed to be a "factory" install. If I brought my car into the dealer with paint coming off of any thing, they'd be jumping through hoops to take care of it. Just goes to show you that not all Lexus dealers are created equal. Customer service should be able to help you with whatever the problem turns out to be.
Old 06-30-01, 08:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally posted by ceoart
I have a black GS430 with the Factory Rear Spoiler and the Paint is rubbing off! ... Also it seems to scratch more easily and it needed to be waxed more than the rest of the car. I had a scratch on the Spoiler and I used rubbing compound and the paint started coming off. It became a gray-white color. My dealer seems to be giving me a hard time trying to get this Spoiler replaced.
First, are you sure it's a factory spoiler? The factory window sticker should say (I kept mine). Second, perhaps the dealer took a factory spoiler off another car off a different car and painted it and then put it on yours. If they did this, I'd be SERIOUSLY PISSED.

If it is a factory spoiler though installed at the factory with your car's color, then I'm very surprised you have paint problems. The paint on mine and every other factory one I've seen is perfect. However, the paint on every aftermarket one I've seen looks like crap.

If it's genuine factory though, then I suspect you just rubbed the paint off. This is why I don't wax cars. Waxing and certainly using rubbing compound TAKES PAINT AND SEALANTS OFF. So if this the case, I'd be very surprised if the dealer takes care of you.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-30-01 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-30-01, 11:14 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another possibility

ceoart,

It could also be that your detailer or the dealership detailer is using a buffing wheel and whacking the spoiler with it. Otherwise I agree with the others complain and have it re-painted.
Old 06-30-01, 01:49 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I may have the same problem.

I have a 99 gold GS400 and the car's paint is spectacular, except when it comes to the spoiler. The spoiler paint looks exactly the same COLOR-wise and I have never doubted that it wasn't a factory spoiler, but the surface of the spoiler is kinda rough and a little bit duller than the rest of the car. I bought my car used so I don't have the original factory sticker. Now that I have read this post, I am kinda suspicious, is there any way to tell whether or not my spoiler is original or a fake? Maybe by the VIN number somehow? or something under ths spoiler?
Old 06-30-01, 02:29 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default One thing to check

If the sticker doesn't say factory installed spoiler it's not. Another thing to look at because most people won't notice is if you open the trunk, and look at where the spoiler would bolt through. If there are nice grommets covering the holes it is factory, if there is foam tape or silicone sealant it is aftermarket.
Old 06-30-01, 05:08 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Red face DOWNSIDE OF SPOILER

The downside of having a spoiler is if you want to take it off, its gonna cost you an arm and a leg MONEYWISE.
Old 07-01-01, 02:51 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

I have the same exact problem with mine , my car is a 99 GS400 with the black onyx paint job and at the end of the spoiler the paint is ruff and looks like its cracking when I took it to a body shop they told me that they have used too much primer before aplying the paint thats why its ruff and is starting to crack so I took it to my dealership and showed it to them and they told me they would repaint it free of charge
Old 07-01-01, 09:29 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine isn't chipping or anything, its just a little bit rougher than the rest of the car, and it doesn't shine as much as the rest of the car. I don't think it will ever chip or anything, but I would like for it to shine just like the rest of the car...maybe I need to get it repainted.