GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Just a little note (our GSs are really nice cars)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-05, 12:19 PM
thejooce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont understand some of you guys... i buy nice cars to drive. not to park them and drive some pos. maybe i can understand going to the grocery store & back but if i'm having to do a 45- 1 hour drive to work & back... i'd rather do it in comfort... its what you bought the car for, isnt it?

Old 07-22-05, 12:53 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thejooce
i buy nice cars to drive. not to park them and drive some pos. maybe i can understand going to the grocery store & back but if i'm having to do a 45- 1 hour drive to work & back... i'd rather do it in comfort... its what you bought the car for, isnt it?
I don't have a beater. I drive my GS even to the grocery store. Yes, I am taking chances on dings, other drivers, ... but I bought the car because I like it and I will drive it.
Old 07-22-05, 01:08 PM
rizgs300
Rookie

Originally Posted by Neo
I don't have a beater. I drive my GS even to the grocery store. Yes, I am taking chances on dings, other drivers, ... but I bought the car because I like it and I will drive it.
My thoughts exactly...but thats most likely because I can't afford a beater...one day I'll have a GS430 and use the GS300 as the beater...
Old 07-22-05, 02:54 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

hmm...interesting thread....well i've had my car since sept and put 46,000 miles on it....and ejoyed every minute of it....
Old 07-22-05, 04:37 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife & I just got back from a week in Tennessee, 10 hour drives both ways, in 97 degree heat.

Our GS400 never broke a sweat, I hammered it occasionally up the switchbacks, and drove the 3 miles up and down the mountain to the chalet in 2nd gear, which was really nice because I rarely had to brake, while everyone else was riding their brakes most of the way down( I could smell them burning!). This is why I flush my trans fluid every 20k, so I can do this with some peace of mind, but the car just flat out continues to impress me with it's abilities. Comfort, quiet, and killer acceleration when you need it. Plus I averaged 23.8 mpg with the AC on all the way. This is the 2nd year in a row we vacationed there, and the car just never blinked or hiccupped. Some would expect that of a Lexus I suppose, but I still appreciate it so much, after long repair lists on previously owned and well -maintained domestic cars.

3 years and counting, I'm thinking I may keep this car a very long time.
Old 07-22-05, 07:31 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarman
My wife & I just got back from a week in Tennessee, 10 hour drives both ways, in 97 degree heat.

Our GS400 never broke a sweat, I hammered it occasionally up the switchbacks, and drove the 3 miles up and down the mountain to the chalet in 2nd gear, which was really nice because I rarely had to brake, while everyone else was riding their brakes most of the way down( I could smell them burning!). This is why I flush my trans fluid every 20k, so I can do this with some peace of mind, but the car just flat out continues to impress me with it's abilities. Comfort, quiet, and killer acceleration when you need it. Plus I averaged 23.8 mpg with the AC on all the way. This is the 2nd year in a row we vacationed there, and the car just never blinked or hiccupped. Some would expect that of a Lexus I suppose, but I still appreciate it so much, after long repair lists on previously owned and well -maintained domestic cars.

3 years and counting, I'm thinking I may keep this car a very long time.
Well, from what I've heard these engines are pretty much bullet proof as long as you do the maintance i think it will be good to you I would plan many more vacations and not worry about a thing
Old 07-22-05, 09:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
count me in, both our gs4 and sc430 are the cars we drive every day to everywhere needed. though to be frank, the sc430 is becoming a problem with its super low stance
Old 07-23-05, 09:35 PM
suge66
Pole Position

I drive a 85 vw jetta as a beater, have about 250k on it right now. I mostly drive the gs on the wknds and i love to drive it. Kinda gives me something to look forward to on the wknd also. I know when i finish putting all the mods on i bought from this sight, will make me cherish the feeling that much more.
Old 07-23-05, 09:40 PM
suge66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by thejooce
i dont understand some of you guys... i buy nice cars to drive. not to park them and drive some pos. maybe i can understand going to the grocery store & back but if i'm having to do a 45- 1 hour drive to work & back... i'd rather do it in comfort... its what you bought the car for, isnt it?

You must have no traffic when you go to work in the morning. Dont let me get on the parking garages where people dont give a crap what kinda car it is, they park so close to you, you damn near have to climb in the window to get in. So i let them ding up my beater, and let that take the abuse of stop and go traffic, and sitting still for about 30min, then u might move a mile b4 you stop again. That's why i drive a beater.
Old 07-23-05, 11:37 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LMSguy
To let to reinforce how nice our cars are.

People, the other day I had to drive/ride in a rental chevy cavalier and It TOTALLY made me realize how nice our cars are.
That thing was the biggest rattle trap piece of junk I had ever ridden in for a new vehicle.

We really need to count our blessings that we drive such a fine automobile.
Keep that in mind when your changing your ball joints.
Old 07-24-05, 12:10 AM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sputniknyc
Keep that in mind when your changing your ball joints.

Whats that suppossed to mean.
Ball joints are normal wear items on ALL cars.
Our cars are not impervious to wear and tear.
Old 07-24-05, 12:53 AM
jaja
Pole Position

The GS is the car in our family with the baby seat, so technically it is our grocery getter for the wife.

I usually ride in my lifted Bronco, or my ricer 240sx, and to compare our GS4 is unthinkable. My wife doesn't even ride the other cars because she likes the GS4 so much. And I have to say our newborn likes the GS too considering how much he sleeps in it. (wish he did the same at home)