GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Top 10 bozo questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-01, 01:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally posted by nanotech
From bit's list, I think these questions are perfectly fine for anyone on Club Lexus to ask: ...
You're right, I should be more tolerant of naive questions. But people don't come in and ask for opinions, they just ask stuff like "what are the best tires?"

I notice you didn't rebutt all of them though, so what about the others, do you also consider them 'perfectly fine' or 'ligit' [sic]? For example...

- Do I have to use premium gas in my GS?

This is just such an ignorant question, and people who fret over gas prices after buying a $50K car (or even $30K used) are whacked if they're worred about 8 cents a gallon.

- I'm frightened of snow, should I still get a GS?

Do people ever notice that even in Minnesota, Toronto, and other VERY snowy places there's lots of Mercedes and BMWs? When I lived in Toronto, a long time ago, there were MOSTLY big *** rear wheel drive American cars on the road. Didn't phase people in the winter. So asking this question doesn't imply much in the way of awareness or critical thinking. Granted I see this more on Edmunds than on here.

- What do you think of this cool cheap mod I did with duct tape?

Sure this is a jab at the 'pep boys' type of mods being discussed. I'm surprise manaray hasn't jumped on these too, if he thinks 'knock off' rims are bad.

So maybe there isn't a top 10, but there's certainly a few...
Old 07-01-01, 01:21 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the other questions you pointed about like about the premium gas are kinda of...umm...I don't know how to put it. I didn't mention them because I just couldn't say, "yeah those are stupid questions"... they might be to some, not to everyone, I can sort of understand why someone would ask about the premium gas....

what if some one is out on a country road and he or she is almost out of gas, and the gas stations nearby don't have premium gas...

....should they risk running out of gas while waiting for a gas stationg that has premium gas

or, should they risk ruining their car by putting in regular gasoline...some people might not even know whether or not it ruins their car

and maybe they don't wanna wait 30 min or more for Lexus Roadside assistance, there are reasons for the questions, but I understand that people should try to think about the questions they are asking before they actually ask them...kinda like, think before you talk...

...newbies, don't be afraid to ask questions because of this thread, we still respect and honor each new member of Club Lexus

Last edited by nanotech; 07-01-01 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-01-01, 02:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by nanotech
I didn't mention them because I just couldn't say, "yeah those are stupid questions"...
You're a nice guy. I should stick to the adage... "if you can't think of something nice to say, don't say anything." I'll just think some people ask butthead questions.

what if some one is out on a country road and he or she is almost out of gas, and the gas stations nearby don't have premium gas... ...should they risk running out of gas while waiting for a gas stationg that has premium gas ... or, should they risk ruining their car by putting in regular gasoline...some people might not even know whether or not it ruins their car
That's an excellent question. A WHOLE lot different scenario than someone trying to save $5 a week on gas while they drink their Starbucks coffee and Dasani water. If someone asked what you said, that would be a very good question. If they just ask about cheap gas, they can take their Starbucks, shine it up real good... you know the drill.

...newbies, don't be afraid to ask questions because of this thread, we still respect and honor each new member of Club Lexus
Agreed.
Old 07-01-01, 03:32 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bit, I hve been reading the advice and opinions you have posted here and at Edmunds for the past few months in anticpation of purchasing my first Lexus. Thanks to you and some of the other owners, I have learned a lot about the GS and have already compiled a list of possible upgrades. I can understand how could find some of those questions annoying, however I was under the impression that one of the main purposes of this forum was to help us newbies and wannabes with those types of questions.
Old 07-01-01, 03:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by GSDREAMER
I was under the impression that one of the main purposes of this forum was to help us newbies and wannabes with those types of questions.
I agree, but... the questions some ask make me rather they didn't buy a 300HP car.
Old 07-01-01, 04:09 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

What irks me are people who seem unwilling to even open the manual before asking the most simple question. If you read the manual and still don't understand - great. I'll help if I can. But, questions like "how does my remote key work? What does this button do?" get to me.

And I'm also with bit about the "what is the best?" kind of question. I lurked for quite a while and read hundreds of posts trying to learn before I started posting. I cringe every time I see "what is the best lug nut?". Please, at least tell me what about lug nuts is important to you.

There's so much we cover 999 times and still it comes up again. Actually, this touches on one of my issues with the site and that is the limited search capability. Maybe the poor search system is contributing to the same subjects coming up over and over again. I know there are times I've looked for a thread I know I read and it's not easy to retrieve it even when I know enough about what it contained to choose useful keywords.

Would a better search capability help reduce this repetition?
Old 07-01-01, 04:25 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

I don't think it is the ones asking the "bozo" questions that you should be concerned about. We are just guys that have spent or plan on spending a lot of money for what we consider the best sports sedan on the road and want to make sure we are getting a good deal and maximum performance. Perhaps it's the ones that don't ask questions that deserve concern. I have learned so much from this forum by the these "bozo" questions asked by others and have posted 1 or 2 myself. I ask that you and the other veterans, whose advice and opinions I so value, continue to be patient with us newbies and wannabes.
Old 07-01-01, 04:41 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Perhaps a better search engine would help. For the past several months, I have noticed that a lot of the same questions or asked over and over. Most are asked by new members that have not learned their way around well enough to know where to go for answers or maybe didn't think to search for previous posts on the subject. Someone is always kind enough to point them in the right direction. When I run across a post that I think may be valuble to me in the future, is simply print if off and put it in my "Lexus" file. This is a very helpful forum and if you find a question too annoying for you to respond to, then don't. I'm sure someone else will be happy to.
Old 07-01-01, 05:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by RealMarty
Would a better search capability help reduce this repetition?
Thanks Marty. I don't think so.

If they're asking some of these types of questions they're unlikely to think of using a search capabillity.

Originally posted by GSDREAMER
if you find a question too annoying for you to respond to, then don't. I'm sure someone else will be happy to.
No problem. Will do.
Old 07-01-01, 05:46 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Bit, please don't get me wrong I'm not trying to bust your chops or anything. I just trying to say is one of the best things about this forum is that everyone has always been so great about providing advice and anwsers to questions no matter how dumb the questions seems. None of the condecending attitudes like you find on some forums. It reminds me of my experiences at the Lexus dealerships that I have visited where the salespersons are helpful without the high pressure sales appoach and they continue to anwser your questions even after you let them know your actual purchase is several months down the road.
Old 07-01-01, 06:38 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

I agree with both sides. This is how I see it, we all gonna be a "newbie" in one way or another. For example, we get a new job, we are going to ask stupid questions in which the employer(s) heard that a million times. Yet its his job to stay calm and answer him politely in which case we are the "employers" on here

Or we go into a field in which we don't know too much about, we would want the experienced person to answer that "stupid" question. EVERYONE on here is going to be a newbie in either cars/new job/buying a house etc....

But you guys are right, some questions are just common sense, I dunno why ppl ask those . A better search system is a good idea because instead of answering the question or in some cases NOT answering the question, we could all say "USE SEARCH ENGINE"

Old 07-01-01, 06:43 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Yeah, I agree with 1sick, real questions are good but some ignorant questions make me almost don't want to check out GS forms anymore.

"should I put premium gas in my $50K car?" arrr...

How about this for ignorant statements.

" Hey I floor my car during cold start in the morning everyday, and I don't know **** about Break-in period and maintaince and never once changed motor oil. But too cheap to take it to dealer to fix, so I take it to some ghetto shop to hack it up even more and now engine won't start tranny is shot, Help Help!!"

and followed up by 10 more helps just to make a point.

and my favorate one...

" Hey I am selling my GS300 for $65k because it's slammed on some rims and got a rmm intake and exhaust, any takers? "

I just think it's funny. So don't hate me.

Last edited by Kaban; 07-01-01 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-01-01, 06:43 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well as a not too far off newbie of Lexus mods and such.. I can say that you all have answered all my questions.. Let me say how much I have appreciated your input.. When I was looking for a nose mask for the GS.. RealMarty and BrianS were super helpful.. When I was looking for wheels for the SC.. Manaray and GS4Will gave me their input and knowledge on the subject..

I've noticed alot of repetition in threads and if we have a better search engine for these posts I think it might elevate some of the questions that drive some of us nuts.. Not sure how feasible it is but like someone said Lexus and ClubLexus is the relentless pursuit of perfection.. So I hope you all continue to welcome new people to the Club and tolerate some of the questions until we get as knowledgable like yourselves..
Old 07-01-01, 06:46 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Kaban
and my favorate one...

" Hey I am selling my GS300 for $65k because it's slammed on some rims and got a rmm intake and exhaust, any takers? "

I just think it's funny. So don't hate me.
PS: I like that question too.. But you can't blame the guy for trying..
Old 07-01-01, 06:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
How bout a "newbie" forum where these questions that are asked over and over can be addressed????
I think that's a great idea. Rather than call it a 'newbie' forum, maybe something like 'Welcome newcomers' or something like that.

Maybe program it so people can't post in the other forums until they've posted 5 times in the welcome forum first

Even if my initial post in this thread ruffled a few feathers, it seems like it's been useful to discuss anyway.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-01-01 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Top 10 bozo questions...