GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Top 10 bozo questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-01, 07:15 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, that's a good idea bitakhanu, have newbies post atleast 5 posts on the newcomers forum before they can post anywhere else, that way, they can get their initial questions out of their mind...

...that would also help in keeping the other forums focused
Old 07-01-01, 08:50 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A newbie forum? Are the newbies not good enough to hang with us 'veterans'? I think the forums are way too diluted as it is. I guess we can start a sub-forum for cheap mods, cheap gas, and cheap rims...and then one for expensive gas, expensive mods, and overpriced rims...yea, and have one for the dudes who like the 'add-50HP-10-foot-tall' rear wings. Then we'd all be talking to...ourselves.

Brian

P.S. "What are the best tires?" was one of the questions I asked a year and half ago. And I'm glad someone answered. It helped me replace the noisy, vibrating stock tires with a dealer-supplied free set of Michelin XGT-Z4s (which do okay in the snow, by the way!). They've been great tires and I wouldn't have known otherwise. Well, I suppose I could have tried three or four sets, until I found the right tires, and then not shared the information with ANYONE.
Old 07-01-01, 08:52 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

There have been some VERY good points in this discussion. I still consider myself a newbie because of the wealth of knowledge that several members possess, however, I've learned so much since I've been here thanks to those members. One thing to think about is that just because some people own these amazing cars doesn't mean they know **** about cars. I like the ideas of a better search, definitely a better FAQ, and the newbie forum (Bit, you get to moderate it. ). Having some kind of "post requirement" might be somewhat belittling if someone is knowledgable and has a legitimate question, but they haven't posted enough times. Many people "lurk" before posting so their # of posts doesn't necessarily mean level of knowledge (or lack there of).

Instead of reposting all the information over and over just provide the link to the topic where it was previously discussed. Maybe certain topics can be grouped together in one area. Take "wheels" for example. Some of us have discussed having a wheel forum but it would mean starting all over, and all the valuable discussions lost. If all the past threads were grouped in one area then newbies, or people just looking for a reference to a certain topic, would know where to look. I guess that's the idea behind a better search engine.

If anyone here needs some type of gratification just think of it this way. There are a ****load of questions you DON'T have to answer because your tutelage allows others to do so.

Biggie, how much was your Honda???
Old 07-01-01, 09:06 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Gee, I don't know, having to post 5 times on a newbie forum before you can post here? A lot of people may feel somewhat insulted. What's next, entrance exam, initiation? Sounds like the type of elitism one would expect of find at Club MB.
Old 07-01-01, 09:22 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

That's what I first thought about the newbie form's post-5-times-here-first idea, that it may be insulting, therefore I didn't want to recommend it. But, can you think of a better solution...I think having like a wheels forum a navigation forum, etc will help, but still, won't get rid of the "which wheel is best?" question...
Old 07-01-01, 09:29 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Call me old-fashioned, but I like the "which wheel is best" questions! Opinions change from time to time and I like to read everyone's input. I have this special filter -- similar to the one for my mailing lists -- for weeding out posts I don't wish to participate in. I don't read them. Works great!

Brian
Old 07-01-01, 09:40 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

I agree with BrianS, the wheel discussions are interesting, and things do change (if I see one more post about LD1's!! ) but the idea wasn't intended to be limiting, only to provide a reference. My idea for a wheel forum was to have it linked from ALL the forums as well as the FAQ. This was just an idea because it's the most talked about subject. If threads started in other forums they could just be "archived" into the wheel forum. In the LS forum Loule came up with a sort of "master list" which provides mod's available for the LS. The list would be much longer for the GS's but the idea could be applied.
Old 07-01-01, 09:43 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

nano-I hate to sound so critical of your idea and not have a sulution myself. I don't know if having forums to address every specific subject is the answer, I doubt it. I think there will always be those "what is the best tire?" questions, but from what I have witnessed, the people that post them usually don't post "bozo" questions again once they have been pointed in right direction and learn to navigate the forums. I can understand where you guys that have been around awhile are coming from having to address the same questions over and over but these guys are just excited about there newly acquired Lexi and want to get their questions answered and so far the veterans seem to be happy to help them. So, I guess my solution would be leave it as is. I would hate to see the GS forum strat to resemble the ES forum.
Old 07-01-01, 10:17 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink we are just a group of guys who possess some fine autos...

personally, i do not think this is something we truly need to addresss to this extent. this is no doubt, one of the best auto forums on the planet. everyone who is now a veteran, was also a newbie once.

in this day and age, we are constantly being exposed to new products and ideas. therefore, there are actually instances when i found the same old topics being discussed w/new ideas+thoughts.

while it is ture that some memebers are asking quite "obvious" questions, it is also ones liberty not to read or respond to anything that does not stir his/her souls. in contrast, there will also be people who do not mind to address/answer the same questions over and over again. for example, i am certain Manaray's in-depth knowledge of many mods, and his willingness to explain them in detail are greatly appreciated by many newbies. if he chose not to respond or read them, it would also be his choice. but, for me and for many new arriving members, i would say it is great info lost.

for the newbies, perhaps more time could be devoted to explore more of the posts as there were many valuable knowledge there as well.

william
Old 07-01-01, 10:47 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Bitslapper...HAHHAHA...LMAO! I like it!

GS4Will Thanks for the compliment! I think a LOT of people here offer a GREAT amount of information for newbies and others. I think we should all sit back and appreciate what a great resource we have here. Club Lexus has come a LONG way since it's EZ-Board days! (Thanks Mike!)

Sorry for the delayed response. I was busy down in Mexico catching some sun, great food, college women, and some killer Cuban cigars... Dominican What?

Anyways, I agree with Bit but I also agree with some others. Most of the questions should be answered (at least partially) in a FAQ.

For my end of the FAQ contriubtion, I have started on a my "Wheel Manifesto" (working title ) which I will post so that we all can add and modify it. Hopefully, we can all turn it into a useful FAQ. Also, I think some threads should be archived into FAQs and all newbies should have to read it before asking questions (at least read the parts that pertain to their question).

*** I APPLAUD the newbies that took the time to lurk and to read past posts. At least they asked somewhat detailed question since they were armed with at least SOME information! ***

As for "duct tape" mods (hehehe), personally, I don't think Lexus cars should be subjected to this type of CRAP. If you want to do "duct tape" mods, sell your Lexus and buy a friggin' '89 Honda instead...I know I get RASH of **** for being "elitist" in this respect, but WTF? Are we fixing up low end Hondas (not that all Hondas are "low end")? Hell no! Low end mods should stay with low end cars. The LAST thing I want to see are more ricer Lexus cars running around than I already see. This is one thing I will not let up on. I mean searching for the lowest price on a quality mod is one thing...getting the lowest priced "mod" is another. Like I always, always say, there is NOTHING WRONG with driving around a STOCK Lexus! It's a LOT better than some half-assed POS "fixed-down" Lexus!

Last edited by Manaray; 07-02-01 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-02-01, 01:30 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

At least now people are putting their thoughts together to help the newbies, not BITSLAP them!!

I agree with Manaray, we have a great resource here, and it has come a long way in just the few short months I've been a member.

Cuban cigars??? Why didn't you tell me???
Old 07-02-01, 05:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

OK, the 5 post idea in a newcomers forum wasn't so hot... but I guess if we had good FAQs then everytime we see a 'slapper' question we could just take a deep breath and say read the FFAQ (sic).

I think we need FFAQs on at least the following:

Rims

Tires

Handling

Power

Exhaust

Miscellaneous

Perhaps we can have a moderator for each.

I'll volunteer to take Miscellaneous to answer all those Homer 'doh!' questions as a pennance for having started this thread .
Old 07-02-01, 10:34 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

How about this idea. It kind of builds on Bit's FAQ (or FFAQ, depending on the question) suggestion. First the name, FAQ. Boring. If I just bought a car I would want to know "What Can I Do To My Car". That alone should get the newbies. Within this forum, so to speak, would be general questions and answers. "I want my car to corner like it's on rails" (sorry for the cliche) and the answer would be a brief synopsis of handling suggestions with brands of products. "I want to look like a drug dealer" could be answered with chrome wheel and combat body kit suggestions. You get the idea. Each subject could then refer several members to be asked questions about their cars and mod's. Kind of a big brother program if you will!!! At least that way the questions directed to you would be within your realm of expertise. Most of you "senior" members have more knowledge in your pinkies than the everyday driver will have in a lifetime, why not pass it on. It's not like any of you really mind talking shop.

Sorry for the babbling..I've been up for about 22 hours so my brain is kind of soupy. After I reread this I sound like a retard but I'll post it anyway. No reason to **** it all away. Maybe someone will have a good laugh at my expense.
Old 07-02-01, 11:04 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

I gotta agree that I like talking shop. If not I wouldn't be here several times a day. And I know that I get a kick out of sharing what I know with others.

It's just the "does the sun rise in the East?" kind of questions that get to me.

I know, I can just pass on the post and move on, but it kind of concerns me that we have people driving sophisticated, powerful cars that have no idea how they operate. So, I do what I can to share what I know because I can and because I'm hoping it will make life easier for someone else on the site. But answering the same question once a month makes it begin to get tedious.

So, now I'm rambling. This is a long way of saying that I agree with the FFAQ idea. This way a newbie can do some research and get clarification on what they don't understand. All they have to do is a little "homework".

This way I can answer a common, basic question with "see this thread in the FFAQ and come back when you need more than is there. I'll be happy to tell you as much as I know after you've done that."
Old 07-02-01, 02:11 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

BBQ? Where? I'm ready!

Quick Reply: Top 10 bozo questions...