GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Top 10 bozo questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-01, 04:33 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never would have thought this topic would get my first post. You guys have made a great resource here. So you get some not so advanced questions asked once in a while. Part of the territory. Definitely not new to autos but I have learned a lot from some of the mechanical and electrical posts on the GS. FAQs are useful but they do get out of date. Mods aren't static. The more info that gets shared on latest products, procedures, etc., the more we all know. Hope I can contribute.

This probably falls into one of the despised dumb questions but for anyone interested, I picked up my GS430 in SoCal and drove it up to the bay area. I had about 150 miles on it when I left. On the way back, I did not use cruise and kept varying the revs from about 1800 to 2400 (roughly 60 to 75 mph) because of the new engine. Temp was 94 lowest in the hills north of LA and most of the trip in the valley was at 103 to 105 with the AC obviously on. On one stretch, 274.8 miles on 11.141 gallons (yes - premium). Figure about 95% highway but that means 24.66 mpg on a relatively new motor. Obviously not stretching it out but nice to know what a GS430 will do if you restrain yourself.

All I have done so far is Zaino. While waiting for it to dry, my neighbor comes over with her new Camry and asks, in a low voice, if I knew that she heard a rumor that Lexus was owned by Toyota. I told her that was a large part of why I bought it. Be careful what you consider a dumb question. Thanks to everyone who posts.
Old 07-02-01, 05:22 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron,

welcome and thanks for the detailed numbers.

will
Old 07-02-01, 10:43 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RealMarty
It's just the "does the sun rise in the East?" kind of questions that get to me.
Well, it's getting to me, too! What's the answer??

OkeyDokie, time for bed!

Brian
Old 07-03-01, 09:59 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An enhanced FAQ is the answer, but we have to make sure people actually go look in there too before asking questions.

I remember when I was first here 3 months ago, I didn't look around the site much and started asking questions on the forums, later as I started to explore the site, I found the FAQ and it was super helpfull and answered many many of my questions.

So, some form of letting newcomers AWARE of the FAQ section and that it IS useful, I first thought it might be an FAQ for this site, like, "who started this site?", "when was it started, etc?"

Also, even though the FAQ is quite helpful in its current form it needs to be able to cover many more subjects and be better organized as well. I am sure if a good FAQ is created and if people are AWARE of it, then there will be a LOT fewer questions asked on forums.
Old 07-04-01, 02:48 PM
dgangi

Talking FAQ would be great

Sorry for the delayed post here. I also consider myself a borderline "newbie" that has thought of asking some of Bit's forbidden questions, but refrained because I have a complex against looking stupid.

I have learned a wealth of information by browsing through the various posts on this board but would have really appreciated a comprehensive FAQ area. When I bought my Scout a few years ago I had no clue how a 4x4 worked, and with an old 4x4 you need to know how to fix things yourself (there aren't any mechanics if you are alone on a dirt trail!). The Scout forum (binderbulletin.org) has a very comprehensive FAQ section and I read through every article of interest and even printed some of them off for my reference. I found this to be a fantastic learning experience.

So...if you guys can put together some FAQs on various items like exhaust, suspension tuning basics, wheel construction, etc. then I would be heads down in that area instead of hoping somebody else asks one of the "forbidden" questions so I can learn from other respondents.

Regardless, I really have appreciated the helpful folks on this board. Thanks to all of you who have put up with my ignorance.

Thx...Doug
Old 07-04-01, 02:56 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Doug,

Ask the question

We're just letting out our evil grumpy twins. They need to come out everywhile to exorcise the evil spirits and then we go back to being our normal selves.

Now I'm in a mellow mood. Promise I won't get the bitslapper after you.

Look, I really do like to help. But, sometimes I'll just pass on a question I know the answer to but I've already answered it twice this month.

But, I would be disappointed if this thread caused anyone not to ask a question they want an answer to.

Go for it Doug.
Old 07-04-01, 05:38 PM
(f)-LEX-ible
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

I agree with the whole top ten list of bozo questions. But I have a question that no one has provided the answer to. I was hoping that y'all could help.

Every since I picked my car up from the dealer, I have noticed that there is a rather large "L" inside of an oval stuck in the grille. Why is that there? Actually, I noticed yesterday that there is one affixed to the trunk too. Is my car defective?

Ha Ha Ha!
Old 07-04-01, 06:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally posted by (f)-LEX-ible
Every since I picked my car up from the dealer, I have noticed that there is a rather large "L" inside of an oval stuck in the grille. Why is that there? Actually, I noticed yesterday that there is one affixed to the trunk too. Is my car defective?
That was a special your dealer put on for you. I'll be nice and not say what the L stands for.

So ya comin' to the meet on Sunday?
Old 07-04-01, 07:56 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by (f)-LEX-ible
OH-MY-GOD. :eek:

Those are the first two signs of a metal-eating virus that will devour your entire car. You must wrap two strands of garlic around the exhaust pipes and fill the cupholder with cuttings from the tail of newts. And you can't drive faster than 35 mph for 2 weeks.

Let me know if the L spreads across your hood. (you haven't noticed one on the center of your steering wheel have you?)

Jees, this is extremely serious.
Old 07-05-01, 05:43 AM
Benny
Rookie

Say, I've got this "down" button on my steering wheel, but when i push it the wheel doesn't go down. what's up with that??

kidding
Old 07-05-01, 08:06 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Benny,

You coming to the meet on Sunday?
Old 07-05-01, 10:51 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RealMarty

OH-MY-GOD. :eek:

Those are the first two signs of a metal-eating virus that will devour your entire car.
Metal eating virus?? What are you talking about?? He didn't say the letters "G" and "M". Read his post again!

Brian
Old 07-06-01, 02:49 AM
lexus808
Rookie

Unhappy hmm...

My thoughts... If you feel the questions are too "boneheaded" for you, then don't answer them. I can understand that you club lexus veterans get irritated at times from the newbie questions that we newbies pose. It's because we want to learn more about the lexus before we buy it or learn from your experiences and apply it to our new baby.

It's that simple, if you don't like the question don't answer it. There was no reason to start this thread which hopefully will not scare off some of the lurkers who came here looking for some answers and thinking that this was one of the coolest car message boards on the net. I know, I felt that way when I first got here and I know if it wasn't for the friendly atmosphere that I saw while lurking here before my first post, I might not have posted at all. I'm glad I did, however, and I'm glad that there were so many NICE people who took the time to answer my "newbie" questions. Everyone was once a newbie....

Don't take this the wrong way but really, not all of us have been as fortunate as you to have owned a lexus for as long. Heck I won't even get mine till october because of that dumb factory messup but at least I'm getting a 2002 model for my 2001 quoted price. I still read this board almost daily because of all of the great info that you people post here. I even bought Zaino because of all the good words in here from people like Gene. Too bad I can't use it yet... Maybe I can Zaino my shoes :P

cyas
Old 07-06-01, 04:59 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking zaino for shoes

Good thought!!! My wife's not so happy that I shined all the doorknobs in the house with it........now we can't get out cause the ***** are too slick, can't hold on.

Comprehensive FAQ (yeah, that is boring, even if universally recognized.....how about some other acronyms??? Frequently Assessed Reading Tips?? Superb Hints, Interesting Tips??) section would indeed be a good idea if, say, as final step after registering or maybe at first attempt at posting, the newbie was automatically taken to the whatver-new-acronym-is-used section. Hopefully, that wouldn't be so discouraging as to disenfranchise the new member.......maybe we could reward the reader with a clever handle ("your Delta name is..........Flounder.....").:eek: Or maybe nothing; this is a good humored board with lots of friendly help available........unlike some other organizations (not that I'm singling any out, but did anyone see the article in 7/2/01 Autoweek re recall of 22000 BMWs due to faulty radiator fan cooling switch.......more flaming BMWs..........I feel sorry for those guys given BMWNA response).

Bit, you must feel a little like Howard Stern considering all the uproar...........

Sorry about the rambling.......up all night on call.......
Old 07-15-01, 02:22 AM
blownIS200
Pole Position

Default snow button

nice thread,what does a snow button do.....................................................

Quick Reply: Top 10 bozo questions...