GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Top 10 bozo questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-01, 03:33 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: snow button

Originally posted by blownIS200
nice thread,what does a snow button do.....................................................
Limits the amount of intial power you send to the rear wheels and makes it safer to drive in the winter.. Match that with some good winter rubber and the GS is a great winter car and I should know since I live in the Great White North..
Old 07-15-01, 11:35 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: snow button

Originally posted by blownIS200
nice thread,what does a snow button do.....................................................
Actually, if the snow button is engaged and the external temperature is below feezing, it sets off a visable and audible alarm when the external sensor recognizes snow on the road.

It then locks the car in second gear until the engine is turned off and the kranalda lock (the key between the trunk and gas tank release levers) is reset by turning it clockwise and then back to its original position.

Last edited by RealMarty; 07-15-01 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-15-01, 05:10 PM
LexusLady
Pole Position

Wink Yeah right!!!!

Here's a real beauty (to be said with southern accent):

"My husband says that I shouldn't be putting on my makeup in the car, but then why do they put a lit-up mirror in the visor????" LMAO......

C.

Old 07-15-01, 07:51 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

2Savvy,

You really think the GS is a good winter car? We've got to get at least as much snow and nasty weather over here in the U.P. of Michigan (260+ inches of snow last year). I was usually white knuckled driving 20 miles to from home in anything but the nicest day. And I'm a generally 'spearienced winter driver. Do you have that rare AWD GS?

Brian
Old 07-15-01, 08:32 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Brian,

Well I guess I should of clarified what I think you need to do to make the GS a great WINTER car.. First and foremost a lowered GS will always handle worse in the white stuff than a stock one.. Just not enough space in the wheel well to expel what you build up while driving.. Secondly on my GS my dealer included 16" BBS knock-off wheels with Pirelli snows and these things are 50 times better than the Blizzaks.. They last long and stick to ice and snow just as good as the aforementioned tire.. Below is a pic of how my winter package looks..

Not sure what you are using for your winter package but that might be part of your problem.. The other thing I do is use the SNOW button whenever I turn at a light/intersection.. And we got similar amount of snow as you guys did in Michigan..

As for the AWD GS you mentioned is there such a beast in existance?? (Imagine being able to plant 300 hp with all 4 wheels.. Hmm wait I have to wipe the drool from my face)
Attached Thumbnails Top 10 bozo questions...-gswint-1.jpg  

Last edited by 2SAVVY; 07-15-01 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-15-01, 09:56 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Funny you mentioned lowering hurts handling. It seems my car handled better after being lowered. I suppose the other factor could have been the newly-added weight (200+lbs.) in the back. But I do think the crisper handling of the new suspension helped keep things under control. The wheel gap only does so much good. After five minutes, the snow/ice combo is caked in the well, leaving 1/4" gap around the tires -- lowered or not.

My winter tires are 16" factory wheels ($94/each from TireRack) and Blizzak MZ-02. I'd like to see a good pic of the Pirellis. I bought the Blizzaks on recommendation and they performed as advertised. You say the Pirellis are better? I'd like to find out more about them for grins; though, my Blizzaks still have a lot of good tread. Are we talking light years better?

Thanks,

Brian

P.S. I use SNOW mode EVERYWHERE in the winter. Here, unless the road is completely dry and you can see blacktop (not often), you can get into some nasty trouble even with light acceleration in NORMAL mode.

Last edited by Brian S; 07-15-01 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-16-01, 11:15 AM
KenJack

Thumbs up Dear BIT... Thanks for listing the 10 questions you asked during your mods.

We ALL TRULY APPRECIATE your keeping a full list of the questions that you must have asked when you were working on your car (by looking at the picture of your car).... unless you had devine spiritual guidance, or make Einstein look like a dimwit due to your innate wisdom. Thank you, Thank you, 10 times we Thank you !!! By looking at the beautiful results on your car, it once again proves the old adage - "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people who act first and ask later" (Shakespeare I think... )
Old 07-16-01, 11:40 AM
blownIS200
Pole Position

Default stupid questions

Thanks for all the answers regarding the snow button,i do actually know what it does
but i was seeing if you would answer,as you can seeyour all too helpfull, even if it is a
stipid question,not everyone knows everything .

ive not got a gs but i still love em
Old 07-16-01, 11:40 AM
KenJack

Default Close, but..

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I thought it was "the only stupid question are the ones not asked?"
That wasn't Shakespeare, it was either Aristotle, Socrates or Bart Simpson - I can't remember which.
Old 07-16-01, 12:11 PM
KenJack

Question Rumor: Is Bitkahuna actually Mr. Blackwell of the 10 Worst Dressed fashion List fame?

Did Mr. Blackwell buy a Lexus GS4? It's just a wild rumor, but his attitude and logic appear to be remakably similar... Harsh and spitefully cruel. Any confirmations as to the validity of this rumor (see picture of Mr. Blackwell/Bitkahuna(?) below) ....? Has anyone ever seen Mr. Blackwell and Bitkahuna in the same room at the same time.. Hmmm... Ya know what I mean?? Kinda makes you wonder... Say it isn't so !!!!
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-01, 04:22 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Things seem to be taking a bit of a nasty turn.........

"Conan, what is best in life?" (Arnold, as Conan, heavy Austrian accent) "Kill your enemies, drive them before you, hear the lamentations of the women."

Beware, KenJack; bitslapper now knows the number of days left in your life (or on your lease) and he is counting!!!:eek:

Last edited by mooretorque; 07-16-01 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-16-01, 05:09 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I don't like where this is going
Old 07-16-01, 06:03 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bit...I agree w/ Q. That is a bit harsh. I know that i have answered many newbie questions and if thbeir questions aren't specific enough, just ask them to elaborate. Hope all the new members dont run away now.
Old 07-16-01, 06:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts
Default Re: Dear BIT... Thanks for listing the 10 questions you asked during your mods.

Originally posted by KenJack
We ALL TRULY APPRECIATE your keeping a full list of the questions that you must have asked when you were working on your car (by looking at the picture of your car).... unless you had devine spiritual guidance, or make Einstein look like a dimwit due to your innate wisdom. Thank you, Thank you, 10 times we Thank you !!! By looking at the beautiful results on your car, it once again proves the old adage - "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people who act first and ask later" (Shakespeare I think... )
Well, well, a wise guy. There are so many things I could say, but I'll just say two things - 1) If you can find any evidence that I asked those kind of questions, show me, and 2) Your response is the best evidence for my case.
Old 07-16-01, 07:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally posted by MyLexusSC300
bit...I agree w/ Q. That is a bit harsh
Who's Q? If you're talking about QBranch, that was a week or more ago. Why don't you read the rest of the thread - you'll see I 'softened up a bit'.

You and Ken-dontknowJack are like the drunks that show up late to the party.

Quick Reply: Top 10 bozo questions...