GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Top 10 bozo questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-01, 09:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts
Talking

- Do I have to use premium gas in my GS?

- What mods should I make first?

- What tires should I get?

- Which springs/shocks should I get?

- Which rims are 'best'?

- Is this price good?

- Tell me of a good dealer in LA?

- I'm frightened of snow, should I still get a GS?

- What do you think of this cool cheap mod I did with duct tape?

- What's the best exhaust? I want one that sounds better than stock, but isn't any louder.

[Update: 7/17/2001 - if you're just reading this, please understand I was venting after seeing many questions posted that were either just lame (premium gas) or were not qualified in any way as to what the poster wanted to accomplish - for example, if you want new tires, say what you're hoping to accomplish, or at least what you don't like about the ones you have. And last, try to read through the whole torturously long thread, because while this first post might have been inflammatory, it actually sparked a lot of good dialog. Peace - bitkahuna]

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-17-01 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-30-01, 11:04 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez, that's harsh. Besides the premium gas and duct tape mod, these questions are pretty valid for a new owner. Are you joking?

Brian
Old 07-01-01, 12:04 AM
Presario
Driver

What's a Lexus?
Old 07-01-01, 12:54 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

What is snow mode for?
Old 07-01-01, 01:08 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yah alot of those questions are valid, and maybe some more experienced clubber doesn't know the exact answer either.

My top bozo question:

what's the URL to clublexus.com?
Old 07-01-01, 01:22 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like Brian said, i hope some of the fellow members, especially the newbies, can take this as a july 4th joke.

william
Old 07-01-01, 02:33 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats a Lexus ?

and I actually had a guy ask me this once " is that the new Honda? " I almost murdered him right on the spot
Old 07-01-01, 04:00 AM
Presario
Driver

Lol, that's funny biggie27.
One of my friends got in the car and was amazed that my car had dual climate control. He turned one way up and the other way down. I asked him, "What are you doing?" And he replied, "Well, technically, if I turn the temp really high on this one and turn it really low on the other one, we can have a rain storm in here." I started laughing like crazy. It was funny to me anyway.

-Andy
Old 07-01-01, 08:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Brian S
Geez, that's harsh. Besides the premium gas and duct tape mod, these questions are pretty valid for a new owner. Are you joking?
No I'm not. A lot of people ask these kind of questions, which are either just outright stupid (use cheap gas, good in snow?) or they don't provide any context - like what's the 'best' handling mod or the 'best' tire - well that depends on a bunch of things. People should give some indication of what they think they might want to accomplish when asking these kinds of questions.

I answer tons of questions on here, many, or most, are thought out a bit before asking, but some test my patience to say the least.

Old 07-01-01, 09:05 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Bit,

It's still a bit harsh. I had similar questions when I was a newbie, granted I was more specific in my inquiries. Mean Gene and others suggested a better FAQ, so I guess we better work on that.

Thanks for being patient with newcomers, for they do not yet understand what an awesome machine they have. Keep up the good work.

BTW, we're lucky we own Lexus. On the bimmer board, the top 10 questions are "where do I get my ultimate driving machine fixed?"
Old 07-01-01, 09:55 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Some girls told me one time, "I can't believe it came with real leather seats"
Old 07-01-01, 10:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by QBranchCars
Bit, It's still a bit harsh.
OK, I'll try to breathe deep and hug newbies.
Old 07-01-01, 11:26 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

75% of what I learned about cars, I learned here. When I came to ClubLexus after buying my baby, I had no idea about car mods. I didn't even know how to properly lower a car. So the first time I asked "What's the best way to lower a car?", I provided no detail because I didn't know squat. Among some of the things I learned here: What an LSD is; what a TC is; the difference between a Supercharger and Turbocharger; how to change my oil (this one's big ); how to swap out tires; good quality rims; info about all those rattles that drove me nuts. This is just off the top of my head. I agree that lazy questions can be annoying. But a lot of new guys truly don't know any better. And the newbie may not have been around last week when you already answered that question. Be happy that you're now one of anointed and take pleasure in the fact that you're helping a new generation of car owners learn more about their car.

Brian
Old 07-01-01, 12:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I say we have Bit the official CLUBLEXUS ***** slapper
LOL

How about I change my nickname to bitslapper?

Old 07-01-01, 12:12 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From bit's list, I think these questions are perfectly fine for anyone on Club Lexus to ask:

- What mods should I make first?

(because most everyone who asks this is looking for opinions, suggestions, prices, etc, it sort of gives direction to newcomers who don't have direction yet, like me when I first joined CL 3 months ago and Manaray answered my question very very well, thanks !)

- What tires should I get?

(this question is also ligit, again, it forces the person who would like to answer such a question to provide options instead of an answer, no one likes for people to tell him what to do..."get the xxx tires", everyone wants options and suggestions, "well, if you value handling, then..., if you value comfort, then....etc.")

- Which springs/shocks should I get?

(this questions is very ligit also, as most people who ask this are usually referring to quality and outcome, they usually don't know what their options even are, and what they need to look for in springs/shocks)

- Is this price good?

(this question is the most usefull, everyone uses it one time or another just to make sure that they they aren't spending too much just to get a particular brand, or maybe they think that someone over here may have a cheaper source, for example, not many newbies know about Steve @ Carson, who people can save hundreds with)

- Tell me of a good dealer in LA?

(this is a totally ligit question also, as the person asking this question is usually looking for a dealer that sells for cheap and/or has good service, how would I know if a Lexus dealer provides good service or not without trying them out first, by asking this question, I wouldn't have to waste my time testing each dealer out to see which one is best)

I am not trying to be too overly defensive about this, but I too was once a newbie, and I really admire the amount of respect and concern you guys showed for me. I expect that to be continued on towards all new Club Lexus members in the future, this is something that really sets Club Lexus apart from all the other forums on the net.

This club proudly adheres to the quality of which Lexus projects of itself, the relentless pursuit of perfection.

Quick Reply: Top 10 bozo questions...