GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

has anybody ever fixed a burned out light on the radio display?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 11:14 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default has anybody ever fixed a burned out light on the radio display?

my 98 gs pioneer radio on the left side no longer lights up on the display. has anybody ever had this problem?
Old 07-26-05, 04:21 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

somebody please respond to my threads. i always see people check my threads out, but no one responds.
Old 07-26-05, 04:23 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, im thinking OLT might be able to help you, i know he does the SC radios. Not sure if he can fix the GS stuff yet.
Old 09-23-06, 12:52 PM
DWPgs400
Driver School Candidate

Anybody got an answer for this? I've got the same problem and it's annoying the hell out of me. Surely some one can just tell us what bulbs to get since many of us have dealt with this common problem. Thanks.
Old 09-23-06, 04:35 PM
chinkster
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the illumination on the main display went out on mines. all the *****/buttons still light up tho. i just can't see the main display. no idea how to fix it tho. either way gonna swap it out with a avic-d1 soon anyways so not a big deal to me.
Old 09-23-06, 07:45 PM
Ishinc
Driver

Mine went out a while ago. There have been many threads about this common issue. I think you have a few options, if you want to keep the stock radio you can either replace it with a working radio or replace the LCD. You can find the LCD part online, pretty sure its less than 100 bucks. I can try to find the website if you want, I have it somewhere!

If you replace the radio with a new or working one you will want one from another 98-00 radio, it will be plug and play. I am in the process of replacing my 99 with a 01 radio because it has RDS. Only challange is that I need to make a adapter harness to go from the 99 plugs to the newer 20 pin plug. Finding the wire diagrams as a pain!!!!

Hope this helps
Old 09-24-06, 07:43 AM
DWPgs400
Driver School Candidate

Ishinc, that would be great if you could post the link to the website with the lcd part. Thanks!
Old 09-25-06, 12:58 AM
Ishinc
Driver

http://www.pacparts.com/electronics/...TOKEN=41688957

Here is the link, I THINK that the LCD is the part we want. I am not 100% since I have never ordered from them. I'm also not sure if the my model number is the same as yours. The model number is on the back of the radio, you can go to www.pacparts.com and put in Pioneer, and your model number. But its probably the same.

It says its out of stock so I don't know if they well ever have stock. Might want to call and ask.

I have also taken apart the radio and took pictures! If you are interested, let me know!!!
Old 09-25-06, 09:06 AM
DWPgs400
Driver School Candidate

Ishinc, please post the pics when you can. I'd greatly appreciate it!! I'm interested in how to access the lcd and the bulbs behind it.

I'm guessing the bulbs are soldered on and are the 8V type that could be ordered through the dealer. I remember reading an ES300 thread about this issue and I believe their stereos are also Pioneers. I'd rather not buy an entire LCD if the bulbs are replaceable since my LCD is just fine. Are there any marking on the bulbs or near the bulbs which might indicate the type of bulb?

I really appreciate you taking your time to help me out!!
Old 09-25-06, 03:17 PM
Ishinc
Driver

I'm not sure how LCDs work, but I didn't think it had anything to do with bulbs. I thought the bulbs were just to light up the backgound of the LCD. Is your problem with the background greenish light not lighting up or the letters and words missing parts? Mine was missing parts of the words and numbers.

If you know more about this, please let me know as I am interested in how LCDs work.

I'll try to post some pictures up tonight when I get home.
Old 09-25-06, 07:59 PM
DWPgs400
Driver School Candidate

Ishinc, the problem is not with the LCD display showing properly. It's with the bulbs that provide the backlight. One went out and within two days, the other went out. So I've got a perfect display with no backlighting, which is so annoying at night.
Old 09-25-06, 10:11 PM
audax
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ishinc
Finding the wire diagrams as a pain!!!!

http://techinfo.lexus.com/
Old 09-26-06, 10:43 PM
Ishinc
Driver

I thought about techinfo, but I wasn't sure if it had what I needed!

Sorry for the lag. I've been busy with work. Here is a picture of the insides, I have a feeling you would want to see whats behind the LCD but I didn't take that apart. See if this helps. (don't mind the toes! haha)

Old 09-28-06, 07:08 AM
DruMnBaSS
Lead Lap

i might be able to helo you guy.. i been taking apart my climate control and redid the lights with LEDS. i will be gettinrid of my radio but i will take it apart to see what i can do foryou. gimmy a week at least
Old 09-29-06, 07:42 AM
DWPgs400
Driver School Candidate

Thanks DruMnBaSS, I look forward to it. My radio's problem is not with the lcd display being broken, it's with the backlighting. If you can take your radio apart and find out what bulbs are used for the backlighting, that would be a very very helpful. I have 98 with the Pioneer unit.

Heck, if you have the same unit with a perfectly working display and willing to part it out, I'd gladly pay you for it.

Quick Reply: has anybody ever fixed a burned out light on the radio display?