GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wich DRL bulbs match HID's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-01 | 08:23 PM
SpectraGS3
Driver

I've see different people suggest different bulbs. I bought the PIAA Super Plasma's (12v/5w) for the wedge bubls that run in the DRL's at night.

They don't match the HID's! They pretty much look like stock but a big whiter. The HID's have a purpleish/bluish color.

The PIAA Super Plasma wedge bulbs are blue tinted but don't realy give a blue HID look.

I don't want to use higher wattage bubls than stock since a new wiring harness isn't cheap so what can I get, already bought the PIAA's on others suggestions but they realy don't match.
Old 07-01-01 | 10:40 PM
disc108
Lead Lap

Originally posted by SpectraGS3
I've see different people suggest different bulbs. I bought the PIAA Super Plasma's (12v/5w) for the wedge bubls that run in the DRL's at night.

They don't match the HID's! They pretty much look like stock but a big whiter. The HID's have a purpleish/bluish color.

The PIAA Super Plasma wedge bulbs are blue tinted but don't realy give a blue HID look.

I don't want to use higher wattage bubls than stock since a new wiring harness isn't cheap so what can I get, already bought the PIAA's on others suggestions but they realy don't match.
IMO, the polarg M6 (M7?) one is the one that most closely matches the HID's.. but only from far away. doesnt look like they match up close. but 30-300 ft. out, they match really well.
Old 07-01-01 | 11:45 PM
Presario
Driver

Sorry to hear that SpectraGS3. If you are willing to give it one more try, I suggest the PIAA Plasm blue wedge bulb. I bought 5 sets of bulbs before I was satisfied with my bulbs. I'm real sorry to have caused you any inconveniences and money. The blue might be a better match for your preferences.

-Andy
Old 07-02-01 | 04:22 PM
KNKGS400
Pole Position

i just got the polarg M4 in a 12v/5W and little does it do expect that i does take away the nasty yellow stock color so from an distance the drl blends in better with the HID but it seem a bit dimmer due to the color i assume, atleast from a certain view there is this blueish around the light when it is off kind of cool i guess, I wanted to go with the M6 polarg wedge but of course it's bighter 12v/18w only problem is chance of melting your harness. Anyone have another wedge 5w inmind that would match closer than now please help>
Old 07-02-01 | 05:54 PM
SpectraGS3
Driver

Smile

Presario... no hard feelings, I wasn't trying to point fingers or anything I just wanted to get peoples opinions without having it repeated to use the PIAA Super Plasma wedge bulbs since I've already tried them. I know in the past when someone asks about the DRL HID bubls, alot of people suggest the PIAA SP's which don't match in my opinion.

It only cost me a few bucks, nothing big I just want them to look right.
Old 07-02-01 | 07:31 PM
Presario
Driver

Thanks for being so cool SpectraGS3. Others would have been really upset, especially on the bimmer boards. Nice people like you are so hard to come across these days.

-Andy
Old 07-05-01 | 05:51 PM
SpectraGS3
Driver

I used to be on the bimmer boards when I was waiting 10 months for my new M3 (which I never got because my dealer is a POS) but I know what you mean, those guys are pretty lame. They spend most of their time debating on which kind of touch up paint has less wind resistance and other stupid things. Got bored with them quickly.

I had an older GS300 while I was waiting for them M3 so I had to stick up for Lexus alot. It amazed me how most BMW drivers don't consider Lexus real competition because it's made in Japan.

I also decided not to get the M3 after talking to people in Germany and a couple of early owners in the US who had their car bought back via lemon laws. BMW builds a great engine and very good steering/suspension (for factory) but that's it.

I'll try the Polargs next
Old 07-05-01 | 08:14 PM
concepts
Driver

I have access to all of the PIAA wedge bulbs. All 6 of them and did a comparison to the Polarg M4s. I found the M4 to be a cooler color. The PIAAs were definitely brighter (even with the same wattage). If you are looking for a pure white like (extreme, superwhite, platinum X) or a deep plasma color, than PIAA Is the way to go.

Looking to save money, go with the Hiper N4X which is similar to the Platinum X bulb - Bulb department at http://store.autotoys.com

Old 07-08-01 | 11:20 PM
RacingAristo

So what is the best DRL blub to match with OEM HID? Polarg M4, M5, or M6? I didn't realize how ugly the stock DRL until today.
Old 07-09-01 | 12:14 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

where can I find the LED bulb LIGHT COVERS? I know Raybrig makes them, like little sleeves you put over LED bulbs. I need to get those to change my shifter color (it can be changed.)