GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New Owner GS300

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-05, 09:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dukespeed
sounds good can I get a bulb anywhere or just lexus??. Thanks
if you want to buy hid bulbs, just get the philips 4100-4300k bulbs from ebay, a lot cheaper. no need to go to dealer

btw, you never mentioned, so i want to make sure. you have hid headlights right?
Old 07-28-05, 04:49 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you went with OEM huh, I might go this route as well. With the BBK is it a big brake upgrade? or are they OEM? I don't mean to pry but how much about did the rotora and axxis set up run you. Any stainless steel lines? I liked them in my Lude back when I had it.

Yeah as far as pics go I will get some here shorlty. I am getting the T-belt and rear main seal replaced on it now just for maintenance. Also I am throwing on Konig Imagine 17's with the black opel fiinsh. I got black/black so I think these should look pretty good. We'll see.

Thanks,

Matt
The Rotoras and Pads were about 410 shipped to my door. I installed them myself. I did not get the stainless lines. I will however be picking those up shortly. Like I said above, these are oem replacement. I will eventually get a BBK
Old 07-28-05, 06:10 AM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
Welcome aboard.

Just a note on the brakes. If you are serious about BBK, also add to the budget some new wheels. BBKs will not fit into the OEM wheels. Better pads, rotors, and SS lines will get you part of the way there without shelling out for wheels. If you are planning wheels anyway, then plan the two of them together to make sure there are no complications.
Will 17's work with the BBK or will it just depend on the wheel. I got 17 Konig Imagine i believe they are called. Not too big but look alot better than stock. It was wierd it seems like the wheels help the stoping get a little better?? But I am getting a better brake set up regardless.
Old 07-28-05, 06:16 AM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
if you want to buy hid bulbs, just get the philips 4100-4300k bulbs from ebay, a lot cheaper. no need to go to dealer

btw, you never mentioned, so i want to make sure. you have hid headlights right?
most definitly are HID.
Old 07-28-05, 06:22 AM
Dukespeed
Rookie

LOL I was just quoted for one bulb 363.58 at north side lexes. What a joke

Just got the same ones from Ebay for 98 bones including shipping. Thanks for the help

Last edited by Dukespeed; 07-28-05 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-28-05, 09:34 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

hey man whats up im located in houston too. theres a few of us houston guys around, you should come hangout when ever we get around doing it again. we're always willing to lend a hand when it comes to installing new mods; so when u break the bank and need a hand we're here to give u a little help.

about the HID flickering before you go buy a new bulb try switching the bulbs from driver to passenger and see if it fixes it... if it doesnt it may be because of a bad ballast

edit
oh and dont forget if you do BBK you'll most likely need new wheels to fit over the BBK or spacers.. i personally would do new wheels $$$$

Last edited by joshoowa; 07-28-05 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-28-05, 10:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Will 17's work with the BBK or will it just depend on the wheel. I got 17 Konig Imagine i believe they are called. Not too big but look alot better than stock. It was wierd it seems like the wheels help the stoping get a little better?? But I am getting a better brake set up regardless.
it's not only about the diameter of the wheels, but also the spoke design. if youget anything 14" bbk setup, 18s are minimum to clear the brakes. but you also need the spoke design to come out enough to clear the calipers
Old 07-28-05, 10:19 AM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by joshoowa
hey man whats up im located in houston too. theres a few of us houston guys around, you should come hangout when ever we get around doing it again. we're always willing to lend a hand when it comes to installing new mods; so when u break the bank and need a hand we're here to give u a little help.

about the HID flickering before you go buy a new bulb try switching the bulbs from driver to passenger and see if it fixes it... if it doesnt it may be because of a bad ballast

edit
oh and dont forget if you do BBK you'll most likely need new wheels to fit over the BBK or spacers.. i personally would do new wheels $$$$

Thats cool let me know if you all hangout or whatnot. I already bought the new bulbs they were not to bad so even if I need to get a new ballast then atleast I will be with fresh new bulbs. But I will try it later on. On the BBK kit will 17's be OK cause I already got em. I am looking at a carbon fibre hood how do you think it will be on Black? I got some rock chips and I am going to get it all touched up but maybe I will not do the hood
Old 07-28-05, 10:32 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like rominl said, it depends on the spokes. I doubt if you were able to specify high disk (better for BBK, less lip). What are the specs of the rims? I can only find one 17 fitment for the Konig Imagine: 17 x 7 +40. I doubt is this will fit a BBK. You are probably better off doing the OEM size upgrade.

I hate to tell you but it is not optimal specs for the car either. It will fit fine but the rim is too narrow. Even the OEM 17s are 17 x 8. If you ever get an urge to upgrade , look into the Work RezaxII. Those are the "originals" of what the Imagines look like.

As for the new wheels braking better, did you get new tires too? Tires are a major component of better braking.
Old 07-28-05, 11:49 AM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by Neo
Like rominl said, it depends on the spokes. I doubt if you were able to specify high disk (better for BBK, less lip). What are the specs of the rims? I can only find one 17 fitment for the Konig Imagine: 17 x 7 +40. I doubt is this will fit a BBK. You are probably better off doing the OEM size upgrade.

I hate to tell you but it is not optimal specs for the car either. It will fit fine but the rim is too narrow. Even the OEM 17s are 17 x 8. If you ever get an urge to upgrade , look into the Work RezaxII. Those are the "originals" of what the Imagines look like.

As for the new wheels braking better, did you get new tires too? Tires are a major component of better braking.
hey thanks I think I will go the OEM route then. Yes the tires are brand new and they did help a little but the brakes are still a little soft for my liking. Thanks for the info on the wheels I like the Imagines they will do for now. it was like 800 to get new tires or 900 for wheels and tires so I went that way. If I decide to get something else I will keep this in mind.