GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New Owner GS300

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-05, 08:55 AM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner GS300

First off let me say hello and I am enjoying the site so far.

Just bought a used GS300 here in Houston and I am looking to see what the good, better, best upgrade on brakes would be. I am noticing the car just doesn't bite like it should. I want to upgrade the rotor maybe even size as well. I have searched this and seen the Supra upgrade??is this a good way to go? I guess let me know my options and what they shuld cost. I will be modifying it slowly but I want to do it correctly once. Thanks all
Old 07-27-05, 09:21 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and Congrats!! Pics are a must

I recently purchased Slotted F/R OEM Replacement Rotora Rotors and Axxis Deluxe Pads from Carson Toyota. Excellent upgrade. the car stops on a dime now. Of course, If you went with a BBK, you would be able to put yourself thru the windshield

-Fernando

Last edited by DjFergi; 07-27-05 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-27-05, 09:23 AM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

congrats on the GS3 and wecome to CL
Old 07-27-05, 11:52 AM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by DjFergi
Welcome and Congrats!! Pics are a must

I recently purchased Slotted F/R OEM Replacement Rotora Rotors and Axxis Deluxe Pads from Carson Toyota. Excellent upgrade. the car stops on a dime now. Of course, If you went with a BBK, you would be able to put yourself thru the windshield

-Fernando
So you went with OEM huh, I might go this route as well. With the BBK is it a big brake upgrade? or are they OEM? I don't mean to pry but how much about did the rotora and axxis set up run you. Any stainless steel lines? I liked them in my Lude back when I had it.

Yeah as far as pics go I will get some here shorlty. I am getting the T-belt and rear main seal replaced on it now just for maintenance. Also I am throwing on Konig Imagine 17's with the black opel fiinsh. I got black/black so I think these should look pretty good. We'll see.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 07-27-05, 11:56 AM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by ARISTO*7
congrats on the GS3 and wecome to CL
Yeah so far the car is nice. it has all the possible options except the electronic sport shift. It does have the Navi wich is old as ***** I believe the program is from 97. so I will be looking to upgrade it asap. Other than that its has the normal wear and tear. Thanks

Matt
Old 07-27-05, 11:58 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck on updating the old software, I think it is not DVD based?!
Old 07-27-05, 12:21 PM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Good luck on updating the old software, I think it is not DVD based?!

Yeah from what I've read its def not DVD based and you gotta buy the entire hard drive or whatnot. Pain in the a$$ but what else can I do? I think I have seen the entire unit from a 01 or 02 for sale on ebay?? But it can be done and I own a business that will require from time to time the use of the navigation. So I will bite the bullit and get it done when I find out how.

Matt
Old 07-27-05, 01:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if you want the economy way, upgrading the rotors and pads are the way to go. you can also get ss lines, that will give you better feel

but if you want more stopping power, going with bbk (big brake kits) is a must. supra tt is a very common setup. or if you want to go all the way, brembo, ap racing, stoptech, etc... those are all good kits
Old 07-27-05, 04:25 PM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
if you want the economy way, upgrading the rotors and pads are the way to go. you can also get ss lines, that will give you better feel

but if you want more stopping power, going with bbk (big brake kits) is a must. supra tt is a very common setup. or if you want to go all the way, brembo, ap racing, stoptech, etc... those are all good kits

BBK is the way to go if you want serious stoppage huh. I guess I will see what each set up runs and go from there.
Old 07-27-05, 04:32 PM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Default My headlight is flickering

On another topic I just pulled in my garage and saw my passenger side headlight started flickering. Does that mean I have to replace the entire light or the ballast? Or can I get a bulb and replace it that way. The glass on the lights are pretty beat up wouldn't mind replacing the entire thing? But i'd rather put money into exhuast or something , although seeing is good too. zany info will help. thanx

Matt
Old 07-27-05, 05:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

usually it's just the bulb going out. but i suggest changing both replacing the whole thing new would not be cheap at all
Old 07-27-05, 06:12 PM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
usually it's just the bulb going out. but i suggest changing both replacing the whole thing new would not be cheap at all

sounds good can I get a bulb anywhere or just lexus??. Thanks
Old 07-27-05, 07:17 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELCOME
Old 07-27-05, 07:23 PM
Dukespeed
Rookie

never mind I used the SEARCH button lol I just noobied myself. looks like ebay will be my best bet unless anyone knows better. I love this forum already so much info.
Old 07-27-05, 07:40 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Just a note on the brakes. If you are serious about BBK, also add to the budget some new wheels. BBKs will not fit into the OEM wheels. Better pads, rotors, and SS lines will get you part of the way there without shelling out for wheels. If you are planning wheels anyway, then plan the two of them together to make sure there are no complications.

Quick Reply: New Owner GS300