GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

JP Rear Spoiler Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-05, 10:24 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JP Rear Spoiler Install

I will be getting my JP rear spoiler installed this week and I wanted to get some opinions about putting in the the third brakelight. My car came with the OEM spoiler from the factory, thus no third brakelight inside the rear window.

Should I put a third brakelight in? Or leave it out. I think a third brakelight inside would be visible since the JP spoiler is not very high. What says CL??
Old 07-31-05, 11:46 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Terry

I left mine out as i had the OEm spoiler also

no worries T

if you want ill take some pics BUT i have 20% tinted rear window

so it might not show
Old 07-31-05, 11:59 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just leave it out.
Old 07-31-05, 12:52 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say leave it out until they get you for it.
Old 07-31-05, 02:23 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE
Senior Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Its a federal crime to mess with the operation of a third brake light, so its your call, and the officers in your area. (This could be used against you if you were rear-ended... so its a tough call).
Old 07-31-05, 03:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i would do whatever i can to put it in. it's much more of a safety issue than anything, without a third brakelight you can really do harm to the car behind you. if someone rear end you, they can deny the claim and you will be charged as well.

but for sure it's going to be hard to get it done
Old 07-31-05, 04:16 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

personally, I think it's fine without it. cars didn't even have 3rd brake lights until around 1986.

if you are concerned however, maybe you could find someone with aftermarket spoiler who now has two third brake
lights to trade you rear deck lids.
Old 07-31-05, 04:36 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

The trade idea is probably the easiest route to get the third brakelight into my car. In fact I plan on selling the OEM spoiler, so maybe I can find a buyer who is interested in making the rear deck trade, too. Just need a buyer with the tan interior.
Old 07-31-05, 07:32 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude just buy a used from a junk yard or a new one from carson. I had the same issue when i switched rear decks. i didn't realize at the time and it was toolate to get it back. i found a used for like 20 bucks from a member and am goin gto install it in my deck where it would go factory.
Old 08-02-05, 10:41 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Adrian,

Did you just get the high mounted brake light -or- did you need to get the deck and high mounted brake light? I can get the high mounted brake light from Steve @ Carson, but I'm not sure if I need the deck to make it work. Seems like I could do some sort of work-around to avoid having to get the deck, too.
Old 08-02-05, 12:33 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Terry i haven't installed it yet. i'm still decidng how to go about it. I didn't want to do the higher window one cus its the my way of sight. i'm probably going to have to pull my deck out and do a diy to get it in..
Old 08-02-05, 12:39 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

A,

Actually the normal factory mounted third brake light is referred to as the high mounted brake light - this is where I want to put it, just like the factory mounted third brake light. I'm just not sure if I really need the deck that is designed to work with the factory position third brake light -or- if I can modify my existing deck and just get the light itself.
Old 08-02-05, 12:43 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TeeLex
A,

Actually the normal factory mounted third brake light is referred to as the high mounted brake light - this is where I want to put it, just like the factory mounted third brake light. I'm just not sure if I really need the deck that is designed to work with the factory position third brake light -or- if I can modify my existing deck and just get the light itself.
Oh I thought you were talking about the high light like gamma had. He used to have his 3rd light up top by the top of the window. I'm in the same boat as you. I have the light but have to pull out my deck to see if I can make it work, i really don't want to buy a new deck as you now mine is 2 toned in suede and i would go nuts if I have to redo another one..
Old 08-10-05, 01:52 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Teelex
Are the stock mounting holes going to be covered by the JP spoiler or do you have have to get them plugged? I'm thinking of he JP spoiler also but I have the RMM rear spoiler and I thnk the mounting hole are wider than the stock spoiler holes.
Take pics when done so I can see how JP rear spoiler will look on My Gold GS

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 08-10-05 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-10-05, 04:00 PM
Benzoboi
Pole Position

Got any pics of it?

Quick Reply: JP Rear Spoiler Install