GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Yellow fogs illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-05, 08:55 PM
LextacyGS4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow fogs illegal?

I was driving in manhattan when a cop pulled over someone else on the other side of the street. As i was driving up to the light slowly while checking out some girls, he came out of the car. As he was getting out, he looked at me and said "hey, turn those fog lights off" so i did and then he said "there you go". I was like WTF???? but i didnt ask questions, wasnt really feeling like getting into the drama with them on a friday night, too much *** on my mind for them to ruin it. So i turned the corner and put my foggies back on. So the question is, are they illegal? I always have them on... Also, if one of them burns out, is the bulb a regular clear bulb and the lense is yellow or is the bulb yellow?
Old 07-31-05, 09:38 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

No they are not illigal, they are factory oem installed, if they were illigal for ex in ny then all cars sold at the dealership would have the lights changed if it came down to it. Yellow light panetrats fog better. DOT regulations clearly allow yellow foglights.
Old 07-31-05, 09:38 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

NO!!, Not sure about the yellow HID fogs but if they are factory than no. Just take it to court and you'll win when you explain. the lens has a yellow plastic and the bulb behind it is white. this officer was just an idiot or being an a$$. either way you should have No problem winning in court.
Old 07-31-05, 10:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes, as long as they are oem and nothing has changed, they are NOT illegal. you can perfectly use them any time of the day as long as the headlights are on
Old 07-31-05, 10:37 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation

NYC cops/traffic been writing up tickets excessively this past month. Also many checkpoints.
Becareful clublexus northeast.
Old 07-31-05, 10:41 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technically the fog lights should be on only when it's foggy outside.
Old 07-31-05, 11:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rgarjr
well at least that's not the law in cali, that's what i read. it's very hard to define "foggy" anyway
Old 08-01-05, 12:26 AM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

yellow fogs aren't illegal. I asked my uncle friend who was a detective for the lapd drug homicide division but now works the FBI said no as long as they are white or yellow but they can't be any other color.
Old 08-01-05, 01:00 AM
SUPRAboy80
Pole Position

man!!! who is the girl in your sig?!!!! She is HOT!!!!
Old 08-01-05, 01:26 AM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In California, yellow or white foglights are not illegal, as long as they are used with the headlights. They are considered auxiliary lights and California law allows for one pair of auxiliary lights in addition to the headlights. Some cops like to harrass people when there is no fog around. That's why I prefer the white foglights, because they can pass as driving lamps instead of fog lamps.

There is a time when the foglights are illegal though, and that is when you are parked. When you are parked, normally you would turn on just your parking lights. However, some people like to leave their headlights on, which is okay, but it is illegal to have BOTH headlights and foglights on when you are parked. Don't ask me, I'm just regurgitating the law.
Old 08-01-05, 01:56 AM
98sscamaro
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I was told that you can only have 2 pairs of light on in the front of you car at a time. So if you have Headlights on, running lights and fogs it is illegal. I don't know if that is true or not i have my fogs on all the time even during the day by themselves and never get bothered.
Old 08-01-05, 09:23 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I know that in some states, you can get a ticket for having fog lights on when there is no fog, and in some states fogs must be yellow.

I don't care, so I just keep mine on. :-D
Old 08-01-05, 10:13 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 98sscamaro
I was told that you can only have 2 pairs of light on in the front of you car at a time. So if you have Headlights on, running lights and fogs it is illegal. I don't know if that is true or not i have my fogs on all the time even during the day by themselves and never get bothered.
Your headlight counts as a pair, and fogs as another pair. So you still have 2 pairs on, Your still good.

2 pairs = 4 lights.
Old 08-01-05, 10:31 AM
gsfan
Driver School Candidate

with foglights on, isnt it three pairs? Regular headlights, fog lights, and those in the center? I think they are city lights but not sure what they are called.
Old 08-01-05, 11:04 AM
LextacyGS4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rgarjr
I think that mightve given him a reason to ***** at me.

Well i didnt get a ticket cause i shut them off in front of them and turned them back on when I turned the corner. Normally, I would make a big deal out of it and ask why, whats the problem, etc. but I was really staring at these hot chicks and there was too much *** on my brain for me to duel with cops at the moment. I guess since he was getting out of his car, he was in a low position and the HIDs, yellow fogs and the blinging chrome all shined him in the eyes at once so he couldnt handle it or maybe he was just c*ck blockin me. Whatever the case was, he didnt do anything so im not really concerned, ive been driving with them on for years and all night after that meanwhile no cop said anything. Anyway, just thought its something id share cause there are some of these popos with their sticks up their ally so all NYC drivers beware.

Quick Reply: Yellow fogs illegal?