GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need Your Opinions On These Different Kind Of Tint Ideas!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-01, 01:37 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up YES TAKE A PIC !

Originally posted by cklex
my friend said he saw a silver gs wit the fade on it and it look tight as *****...i'm def gettin it...when do u plan on gettin your? if you want i'll take pictures so u can see what it looks like before u get it..i'm prolly gonna get it in 2 weeks or less

yes, take a pic and post it plz !! You probably the first one on here with that tint combo. Now for the mirror then fade to black, is it one sheet or its 2 seperate pieces where the installer conjoins the two at a certain point on the window?

thanks.
Old 07-03-01, 01:44 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by gsexploits
On my 430 I had originally tinted the rear window first with metallic and it killed my NAV system (factory). At first it looked like it was going to work, but as I used it more, it did not pull a signal as well. Also, radio stations that were pulled in before were not consistently pulled in after, so I ended up going with 22% all around with an HP-Solarguard film - national lifetime warranty including fading (that blue/purple colored film thing).

I have a silver car and hoped the metallic would work, but it did not. If someone can tell me how to post a picture to a thread, I will post my car so you can see how it looks - I get nothing but props from all who see it.

It cost $200 including driver and passenger windows.

Hmm again plz tell me where the factory nav antenna is located? I have the alpine powernav and my antenna is located right in front of the dashboard. I hope it don't interfere with it.

To post a pic, when your writing a message, at the bottom there is "attach file" that u will see, then press BROWSE next to it. It will then take you to your own computer's directory, go to the directory where your pic is at and double click on it. the file name should fill in the space where "attach file" and "browse" is. After that press submit reply.

Old 07-03-01, 02:12 PM
cong28
Lead Lap

I'm getting my car tinted right now, getting the Quantum-37 all the way around for $150, but for regular customers he charge them $180. If anyone is interested, let me know so I can bring the price down to $170.
Old 07-03-01, 02:40 PM
gsexploits
Driver

You should be OK. Factory NAV antenna is in rear window in right hand corner as I understand it.

Thanks for providing picture post instructions. I thought that may be the case, but wanted to be sure.
Old 07-03-01, 08:49 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tint

dieselman,

IMHO, I don't think option 3 is well suited to our cars. I'd also remind you of how much grief you get already from the NYPD, I think the 20% black all around is the classiest of all of the choices, but if you want the flash go all mirror. I saw the 1/2 mirror on a burnished gold, I was like what was this guy thinking??!! Just my 2 cents.

I did 35% on the front doors and 20% around the rest, if a cop pulls out a meter he's only going to test the front doors. If you get the 1/2 mirror you'll have to put it on the bottom because the meter only slides over the top of the window and you'll get a darker reading (ie. less light transmission %age if you do the half mirror on top)
Old 07-03-01, 09:44 PM
SpectraGS3
Driver

Please don't get fade tint on your GS, the only cars I see this on are dirty, ghetto *** caties and realy junked up cars. It looks cheap and tacky, most people around here that have it put it on their cars because they want someone to look at their $5 car and think it looks cool.

Depending on the year of your GS, platinum tint (mirror) will leave a real greenish hue to your windows, it looks crappy, you'll see the same effect on Civics with realy mirrored out windows.

The best tint on the market is Lumar Centar, it has a very slight blueish tint to it, not realy noticeable on some colors of car, looks great if your car is Spectra Blue. Not only is it a smoke like tint but it's mirrored a bit as well so you get a reflective, mirror-like tint but it's smoke colored so it still looks classy and you don't get the greenish hue like with the platinum. I've also had Autolux which has a very slight green tint but looks like Centar, since the GS's have a slight green hue to start with it doesn't look bad.

Remember, since the GS's have alot of tint in the glass already, subtract about 8-9% from the level of tint you buy, most states give you a 7% margine of error, you might think you are legal but when they put the monitor on the window you might be just under legal due to the tint already in the glass.

98 GS's seem to have more green than 99-00's, not sure about 01's
Old 07-03-01, 09:56 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey SpectraGS3 do you have a pic of your car showing the tint.. I'll post one tomorrow showing the Quantum tint on my car which is reflective and very silmilar to the Lunar tint you mentioned.. I did 37% on all the doors and 27% on the back window.. When you go one shade darker on the back window you get that shaded effect from front to rear without actually doing different shades on the rear door windows.. Something to think about guys if you are tinting..
Old 07-03-01, 10:12 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Savvy,

your tint shade philosophy is the same as mine. i have applied that after i have seen many cars with 2 different shade on the sides just to avoid cops. so, i took the liberty of using same % for the 4 sides, and a little darker for the rear wind shield. it worked well to my taste.

will
Old 07-04-01, 05:51 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Johnny Mo, thanks for looking out for me. I know how unfair NYC po-po can be . Figured NYC law requires YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY FILM we are all breaking the law even if we have the lightest shade

Its funny, I asked a few of my friends and some of them hate idea #3. I could see how it could be cheezy but for some strange reason the one on the S500 looks incredible.

Spectra, thanks for the tip on TINT brand. Your lucky man, I just love spectra blue ! That is my favorite color of all-time !

So everyone plz post a pic of your tints !! Much thanks!!

Also btw: If a cop DOES NOT use a tint meter but still gives you a ticket(s), does it get thrown out automatically in court? When I got ticketed 3 times, the cop NEVER used a tint meter. Just curious on how valid is that to tell the judge cuz the cop just told the judge "From my observation of the vehicle, the windows were too dark".
Old 07-04-01, 07:58 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Just had mine done last week with Llumar 35% Solargard (sp?)........has dark metallic sheen similar to RX but not as pronounced (in the store, it looked like it would be about the same degree as the RX......if I did it over, I'd do 20% for more reflectivity). $245 out the door, single piece in the back. Since I'm non-Nav, metallic doesn't bother me. Radio??? We dont need no stinkin' radios......we got CDs. Seriously, around town I've noticed no change in radio signal, but I mostly listen to CDs so can't say for sure that there was NO effect.

Imho, the fades will look dated after a few years.......but then, I guess you can change 'em out. I just like simple/clean look.
Old 07-04-01, 10:42 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Ok Diesel here are some pics of my car with the Quantum tint I spoke of.. When you look at it dead on like a cop would it isn't too dark but from angles as I hope you will see from the pics it looks progressively darker.. Hope these help in your decision and I hope you don't do the full mirror tint.. Gotta say it again.. Way too tacky for a GS..

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Need Your Opinions On These Different Kind Of Tint Ideas!!-mvc-001f.jpg  
Old 07-04-01, 10:46 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Pic #2
Attached Thumbnails Need Your Opinions On These Different Kind Of Tint Ideas!!-mvc-002f.jpg  
Old 07-04-01, 10:48 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Pic #3.. Wish it was brighter outside.. Oh well..
Attached Thumbnails Need Your Opinions On These Different Kind Of Tint Ideas!!-mvc-003f.jpg  
Old 07-04-01, 10:51 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Ok last pic.. For the last time.. DON'T DO THE SILVER MIRROR TINT!!
Attached Thumbnails Need Your Opinions On These Different Kind Of Tint Ideas!!-mvc-004f.jpg  
Old 07-04-01, 12:38 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thanks 2SAVVY!! Your right at some angles it does look darker!

2Sav, I am desperately looking on the net for the Rod Millen GS400 with "mirror" tints, I want to get your opinion on that one.

Btw: That a cool looking nose bra, I know they make one for the GS but I never saw it actually on one.

Quick Reply: Need Your Opinions On These Different Kind Of Tint Ideas!!