GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need Your Opinions On These Different Kind Of Tint Ideas!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-01, 03:21 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Diesel,

I think I have seen that pic you are speaking of with respect to the RMM car but I don't think it was a silver mirror but then again I could be wrong.. :eek:

In regards to the bra.. When I was in Chicago I picked up that one.. Its a Colgan Custom Bra.. You can also pick it up at CARPARTS.COM and I think the part number is PR948.. Its a really well constructed bra and it doesn't look too bad.. Wish I got it when I took possession of my GS thou.. Bumper really looks bad after 2 winters(Sort of sand blasted).. Friend of mine down the street is gonna buy it from me when my lease is up in September or if he flakes out then LexusRules has dibs on it..

Anyways if you find that picture of the RMM car please post so I can check out the tint..
Old 07-04-01, 04:54 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a pic of this kid's RX truck with mirror tints. That kinda what I had in mind but not exactly the ones on that Rod Millen Silver GS4 !

I am still in the process of looking for that PIC !

Btw: thanks for letting us know where to get the nose bra. Gonna need it for the winter.
Attached Thumbnails Need Your Opinions On These Different Kind Of Tint Ideas!!-mirrotints.jpg  

Last edited by D-MAN63; 07-04-01 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-04-01, 05:15 PM
gsexploits
Driver

Default 2Saavy

Is that a Lexus Brand bra or aftermarket? It looks pretty nice and with the way Lexus Paint chips so easily, I am looking for ways to preserve the paint. Thanks for posting its origin.
Old 07-04-01, 05:59 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

gsexploits,

No prob.. Glad I could help.. As for the bra its not a Lexus Part.. To be honest with you I have seen the one that some Lexus dealers in the States sell and it is so inferior to the Colgan Bra.. BrianS could back up what I am saying on this point.. His car bra from the dealer ripped up on him..

If you are looking for a bra then check out the Colgan one.. The company has been in business since 1961 (I believe) and their business is only making nose masks for cars/trucks.. Sheesh I should get promotional money for that.. LOL

Oh well.. If you get one be sure to follow the instructions well and its a sweet fit..
Old 07-04-01, 08:43 PM
dgangi

Thumbs up Tint on Silver GS

I recently tinted the windows on my silver GS and went with a brand of film called FormulaOne. I guess it's actually made by Llumar but it is their premium line. They make a 100% metallic film that doesn't have that "mirror" sheen that most metallic films have -- it's called the Ultimate Series. I wanted to purchase a metallic film because dyed films don't hold up well in AZ but I really hate the mirror look. This film turned out to be a great compromise because there is only a hint of sheen and I get the durability and performance of a metallic film.

I don't have a digital camera so I can't take a picture of my GS to show you the results, but it looks great (really classy). If you are interested then check out www.formulaone.com to find a dealer near you. The local dealerships that carry FormulaOne in Phoenix all quoted me $250 for their Arizona legal tint (which is quite dark, thank God). Best of all (one of the things that sold me) their warranty is nationwide.

Good luck.

Thx...Doug
Old 07-05-01, 05:02 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Tint on Silver GS

Originally posted by dgangi
I recently tinted the windows on my silver GS and went with a brand of film called FormulaOne. I guess it's actually made by Llumar but it is their premium line. They make a 100% metallic film that doesn't have that "mirror" sheen that most metallic films have -- it's called the Ultimate Series. I wanted to purchase a metallic film because dyed films don't hold up well in AZ but I really hate the mirror look. This film turned out to be a great compromise because there is only a hint of sheen and I get the durability and performance of a metallic film.

I don't have a digital camera so I can't take a picture of my GS to show you the results, but it looks great (really classy). If you are interested then check out www.formulaone.com to find a dealer near you. The local dealerships that carry FormulaOne in Phoenix all quoted me $250 for their Arizona legal tint (which is quite dark, thank God). Best of all (one of the things that sold me) their warranty is nationwide.

Good luck.

Thx...Doug
Thanks Doug, I'll check it out !!
Old 07-06-01, 07:52 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Exclamation only pic i found

This is the only pic that I found that has the Silver GS with the mirror tints. If anyone has that pic, plz post it !! I want to see how that looks like again.

The rodmillen site keeps freezing everytime I choose that pic !
Attached Thumbnails Need Your Opinions On These Different Kind Of Tint Ideas!!-silvermirror.jpg  
Old 07-06-01, 07:51 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Diesel,

I've been trying for the past hour to get that picture but it seems the RMM Gallery isn't working for whatever reason.. Looked throughout my collection of pictures and couldn't find the picture you speak of..

BTW why would any guy fix up a RX.. Sorry guys that have this vehicle but it's a ladies car.. Just my 2 cents..
Old 07-09-01, 04:11 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

What color would you guys suggest for a 1998 GS4 Cinnabar Pearl. This Pearl Red Color is very hard to get tint on. I think the NO TINT look gives the car a classy look, but I live in the Florida SUN!!!! It gets hot as hell down here. I have 20 inch Chrome LD1's, so I was thinking about the Full Mirror Tint, but just trying to get some ideas. Let me know what you guys think!!!

Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-09-01, 10:30 AM
RhuluM
Driver School Candidate

Default tinT

Well first off, i just want to agree with dgangi that FormulaOne does a great job, even though they are a little expensive, but its worth it, life time warrenty, it even carries over to the next owner. But out of curiousity, i was wondering what are the laws concerning the % of the tint. I know in North Carolina, thats where i am, the law states that 35 is the darkest if can get. However, SUVs and Trucks are exempt from the laws. But i still like my windows, but it wouldnt hurt if they were a little darker =) i was going for the mirror look but i went with the smoke black ( well as black as 35 could get ) because i liked the contrast with the white and black. Well i would like to hear what other states laws are concerning window tint.
Old 07-09-01, 10:58 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

ap0718, having NO TINTS on a car for me just doesn't look right. Especially if you have dubs. I am going for the full mirror tints but can't find that ROd mIllen GS400 with the mirror tints. I know SOMEONE on this board has that pic that I am talking about

Rhulu, NYC law is that you can't have ANY film on the sides of the windows only in the very back. So that being the case, I would say 65% of the cars in NYC is the breaking the law.

Old 07-28-01, 02:40 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Default 2savvy

2SAVVY,

Please check your PMs
Old 07-28-01, 03:25 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Default Re: 2savvy

Originally posted by Intellexual
2SAVVY,

Please check your PMs
Check your PM for your reply!

Drop me a line when you get it to tell me how it worked out!