GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

CLK430 or GS 430 Help me Guys

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-05, 12:46 PM
TYPEII
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Damn, that is the other car I was thinking about
It's gonna be for sale pretty soon, I 'll keep you posted if you like, has real low miles. Black on Black. Low miles.

Gotta admit the car is hella fast, he can take out my other friends modded STI from 50 mph on in stock form....
Old 08-04-05, 03:37 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmgs400
I've seen my share of newer style S series with one brake lights stuck on "very bright" or one tail light out, and other electrical problems.
The "very bright" tail light is usually the rear fog light. I'm sure 95% of those owners have no idea what it does or how it even comes on. It's very aggravating when it's on and there's no fog.
Old 08-04-05, 03:54 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The CLK430 is a fast car especially once you punch it from 60 and above. I know this first hand since I just raced one yesterday. It was a cabrio with the top down. I had an extra person in my car. We were evenly matched and he did not gain or lose ground to me when we punched it from 60 up to around 110. The cars were equal in speed. I did not get a chance to race him from the stop, but if I did it would be unfair race because of my mods.
I think stock vs stock the CLK might have the edge in handeling. But I have heard from other CLK owners that the car does have some float.
There are many aftermarket options available for both cars to make the ride and handeling better.
Now it comes down to reliablity and its a no brainer here. I do not think you will ever see any problems with the clk engine. Is the electronics/ internal body parts that I would be worried apart. I have and S430 and that car had to have a new window regular installed, new windshield wiper motor, the temp gauge does not work and needs an entirely new odometer, internal wood panels have popped out in several locations. I only have 50k miles on the her.
Never seen any kind of those problems on my 2 year older GS with 77k miles.
Either choice is a good choice, but I would get the GS cause of the added room you get and better overall reliablity. Also consider the cost to fix the benz...big $$$.
Old 08-04-05, 04:54 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with SoCalSC4. My wife has a 99CLK320, it's a great looking car. Everyone loves it but the maintenance is horendous. Parts is falling off and always something needs replacing. Part of the week is the dipstick. The grab handle broke off while checking the oil. Now I have to run to the dealership and get that part replacement. The parts guy knows my face well. "So what part do you need now?" he's always asking me. Also, I think it's a chick car. I don't know why but it seems to fit women better than men. I only drive if she is in the car with me. Especially after a guy hit on me in the park lot because I was driving it. Apparently, it's the vehicle of choice of alternate lifestyle men. List of things I had to replace.
Shifter Cover, 2 foglights(whole unit) , rear window electic shade, door trim, underbody cover, various interior trim parts and foglight bulbs twice.

My GS430 nothing needed to be replaced or broken in the year I have had it. Good Luck on you decision.

Old 08-04-05, 08:47 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nate579
Also, I think it's a chick car. I don't know why but it seems to fit women better than men. I only drive if she is in the car with me. Especially after a guy hit on me in the park lot because I was driving it. Apparently, it's the vehicle of choice of alternate lifestyle men.
That's funny for so many reasons.... The CLK is definitely a pretty boy car especially the drop. And that's why I love it but yeah man I know what you mean about "alternative lifestyle car". I was in my cousins drop 430 a few yrs back in south beach and NY and the "children" love it. I'll never forget waiting in Soho (a trendy spot in NYC for the few if any who may not know) anyway, I'm waiting on my girl and you know I'm chillin, pumpin Marvin's Sexual Healing and these flamin dudes were grillin me hard like they had "plans" for the kid. I swear, I I pulled the top so quick for fear that the queens were gonna jump in. Dudes were staring that hard. I mean I love getting looks while driving a hot V but I don't need those kinda looks yaknow. Not that there's anything wrong with that (c) Seinfeld

Thanx for all the replies and honest opinions. But yeah the GS is looking real serious to me right now, aside from it being the more practical of the 2. I got a little while until I can get the Hardtop drop SC. Now I'm begining to wonder if I cop the GS should go 430 or possibly 300. I'm not a speed freak but I do like knowing that I got it when I need Also I definitely want a factory Navi and it seems like factory equiped 300's aren't really out there too heavy.
Old 08-04-05, 08:51 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

Do I want to enjoy my car or do I want to spend some time at the dealers service department.....................

Lexus hands down.
Old 08-05-05, 02:20 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Exterior:

I used to be a big w208 fan (its still a very handsome car), but overall I think the GS has aged alot more gracefully. In my humble opinion, the w208 has that "older model" look to it. Meaning when you drive up, people just say, "oh yeah thats the older model one right?" As god as my witness, since I have removed the "L" from my front grill, I get people that ask me what kind of car my GS is!!!!!

Interior

No contest, the dirtiest secret about the CLK is that its based on the C-Class platform, not the E-class platform, and it really airs the dirty laundry when you look inside. Looks like a dashboard from the early 90's

Performance

Both are solid V8's with grunt

Reliability

No need to even beat that dead horse

Good luck with your choice!
Old 08-05-05, 06:33 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexLaw
That's funny for so many reasons.... The CLK is definitely a pretty boy car especially the drop. And that's why I love it but yeah man I know what you mean about "alternative lifestyle car". I was in my cousins drop 430 a few yrs back in south beach and NY and the "children" love it. I'll never forget waiting in Soho (a trendy spot in NYC for the few if any who may not know) anyway, I'm waiting on my girl and you know I'm chillin, pumpin Marvin's Sexual Healing and these flamin dudes were grillin me hard like they had "plans" for the kid. I swear, I I pulled the top so quick for fear that the queens were gonna jump in. Dudes were staring that hard. I mean I love getting looks while driving a hot V but I don't need those kinda looks yaknow. Not that there's anything wrong with that (c) Seinfeld

Thanx for all the replies and honest opinions. But yeah the GS is looking real serious to me right now, aside from it being the more practical of the 2. I got a little while until I can get the Hardtop drop SC. Now I'm begining to wonder if I cop the GS should go 430 or possibly 300. I'm not a speed freak but I do like knowing that I got it when I need Also I definitely want a factory Navi and it seems like factory equiped 300's aren't really out there too heavy.

LOL...it is actually. My peeps love their benzos and beamers. You go to boystown in Chicago and the area is littered with them and volkswagons. They are all our official cars.
Old 08-05-05, 08:52 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Exterior:

I used to be a big w208 fan (its still a very handsome car), but overall I think the GS has aged alot more gracefully. In my humble opinion, the w208 has that "older model" look to it. Meaning when you drive up, people just say, "oh yeah thats the older model one right?" As god as my witness, since I have removed the "L" from my front grill, I get people that ask me what kind of car my GS is!!!!!

Interior

No contest, the dirtiest secret about the CLK is that its based on the C-Class platform, not the E-class platform, and it really airs the dirty laundry when you look inside. Looks like a dashboard from the early 90's

Performance

Both are solid V8's with grunt

Reliability

No need to even beat that dead horse

Good luck with your choice!
Great Breakdown!!
But yeah that Interior as nice as it is its kinda weak for a Benz and the seats look like some **** out of the old 190's

Exteriorwise it's a beautiful car. Come to think of it It's like a pretty women, who's all face and a$$ (Exterior) Screwed up personality/brains (Interior) High maintenance, well you get the picture.