GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

CLK430 or GS 430 Help me Guys

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-05, 06:41 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CLK430 or GS 430 Help me Guys

What's up guys. I haven't posted but I always come by to lurk as this is a great forum with a lot of activity and the cars ain't too bad either.....I plan on buyin' a "new" car in the very near future. After coming from an Range I have definitely decided on getting a car. I'm kinda undecided between A Benz CLK430 and a Lexus GS430 . If only the GS were a 2 door...This would not be up for debate. Priceswise they are comparable. Generally in the 2000-2002 area. I know they are two different cars and body styles but they also share similarities. I've driven both on many occasions. The Lex more recently. I'm aware of my pros and cons for both cars but I'm looking for other peoples opinions. Please help me out guys. All responses are welcome. I'm fully aware that I'm at a Lex forum and may get "biased" responses but who cares. And yes sex appeal with the women is a factor. Thanx
Old 08-04-05, 07:18 AM
tkracing
Lead Lap

My wife has the CLK and I have the GS. My wifes car has alot of electrical problems and is in the shop frequently for various problems. My GS has never needed anything but normal maintenance and its at 100k. Also there are mods for my car at reasonable costs where anything for my wifes car is limited and expensive. The CLK is a nice car but for me the GS is the way to go!

Last edited by tkracing; 08-04-05 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-04-05, 07:25 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tkracing
My wife has the CLK and I have the GS. My wifes car has alot of electrical problems and is in the shop frequently for various problems. My GS has never needed anything but normal maintenance and its at 100k. Also there are mods for my car at reasonable costs where anything for my wifes car is limited and expensive. The CLK is a nice car but for me the GS is the way to go!
Aside from the CLK not being at the same reliability level as the GS, how does the car drive and feel? The W208 CLK is such a beautiful car that I too am wondering if I should pick one up. I can live with it needing more frequent repairs than the Lexus, but not every few months. If the driving experience is good it might still be worth it.
Old 08-04-05, 07:26 AM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

I was in the market for a CLK a few years ago too. Like tkracing said... these cars may be nice, but they are nothing but trouble. We have an LS400 w/ almost 200K miles that has needed nothing but routine maintenance & my sis has an ES300 w/ over 100K w/ no problems as well.
I bet you won't find a single Benz owner that can tell you that.
As soon as i sell my Maxima, i'm headed straight for a GS430.
Old 08-04-05, 08:00 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

In terms of looks I prefer the CLK, I always like coupes better, but the CLK has a reputation of being one of the most unreliable cars on the road from various sources . . .
Old 08-04-05, 08:20 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My G/f has a CLK500. that thing is a beast. She hasnt had any troubles with it yet.. I like the benz, but for practicality I'll stick with the GS since it has more usable space for my needs.
Old 08-04-05, 09:10 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

When I bought my 2001, I actually was debating on the CLK and the GS. I loved the CLK because of the shape and that long peice of wood, just under the windshield. Simply gorgeous to have that long shiny plank glistening while I drove. I loved it. I especially loved that it was a coupe.

Felt the same way about the GS and loved it's reliability. Did a lot of research on both cars and after reading comments and reviews from both owners, I decided to just stay away from the CLK. I can't afford all those expensive repairs and I can't imagine being stranded somewhere while I pay a $400 car note.

I picked the car that looked great that I could always rely on.

I love it, though i'm a bit bored with it right now. I have my eye on those Bentley GT Coupes and Benz CL. I think it might be time for a mod or two to keep me entertained.
Old 08-04-05, 09:15 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Aside from the CLK not being at the same reliability level as the GS, how does the car drive and feel? The W208 CLK is such a beautiful car that I too am wondering if I should pick one up. I can live with it needing more frequent repairs than the Lexus, but not every few months. If the driving experience is good it might still be worth it.
Exactly...you could not have said it any better. I do mind maintenanceand believe me coming from a Range I know what that's all about. At the same time I'm not trying to rent out space and a shop either. I would be lying if I said reliability wasn't an issue. Thanx for the responses guys. Keep em coming.

Last edited by LexLaw; 08-04-05 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-04-05, 09:19 AM
tkracing
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I dont feel that much of a difference. Yes the CLK is a little stiffer but I still enjoy the GS. If you dont mind Spending alot of $$ on maintenance and upgrades than go with the Mercedes.
Old 08-04-05, 09:41 AM
TYPEII
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Get the hell away from them Mercedes, two of my boys have AMGs and they are nothing but trouble.

One has an older C36, car has electrical problems, I remember one time his alarm cut out on him, leaving him not able to start the car...I kept laughing at him saying, nice car too bad u can't drive that sucker...

My other friend has a 02 C32 and that thing just had a factory recall on a major problem with a part in the Engine, he's getting rid of it before Winter, can't drive that here in the snow...
Old 08-04-05, 10:23 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Lexus is high quality...11 yrs straight voted #1 in owner satisfaction!!! When I do have to take my GS in for routine maintenace I'm amazed at the professional attention I received. I can't comment on the CLK series, but I've seen my share of newer style S series with one brake lights stuck on "very bright" or one tail light out, and other electrical problems.
Old 08-04-05, 11:03 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPEII

My other friend has a 02 C32 and that thing just had a factory recall on a major problem with a part in the Engine, he's getting rid of it before Winter, can't drive that here in the snow...

Damn, that is the other car I was thinking about
Old 08-04-05, 11:23 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't like the the interior in the 2000 CLK 430, feels cheap!
I sold few merz including a 2002 s430, they are nice but a lot of problem that will cost you arm and leg if no warraty on it.

Lexus however, never let me down
Old 08-04-05, 11:40 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I was looking at three different cars before I bought my GS4: The GS 400, the BMW 540i Sport (E39, last body style), and the CLK 430 (W208, last body style). Of course, this was three years ago, when all of these cars were "current" models.

I liked the BMW, the styling is handsome (if somewhat bland) and the rear seat room is mediocre. They are EXTREMELY common in my town- this and reliability concerns ultimately drove me away.

I really liked the CLK 430 body style a few years ago when I was looking- now it looks a little dated to me. I thought the interior was somewhat cheap-looking and the rear seat space was minimal. Unfortunately, most of the time I see CLKs on the road they are being driven by women, so there is a bit of a "chick car" stigma to them (at least to me). The CLK is a bit more athletic feeling then the GS, but I would still not classify it as a "sporty" car. Don't forget the CLK is basically a C-class, so to some extent the cars are in a different class.

One of my best friends is a Mercedes Master Technician, and he said he would perform any labor needed for free, I would only pay for parts. I knew I would be driving the car quite a bit, and the prospect of replacing a power window motor or a head gasket did not appeal to me. He told me the list of service items the CLK typically comes in for... he works on a lot of them... this drove me STRAIGHT to the Lexus. The list is long and scary!

At the end of the day, I made the right choice for what I was looking for. The GS accepts 20" wheels very well, and since I make wheels for a living this was a factor. I have seen a few CLKs fixed-up nicely, but none have ever duplicated the long, low VIP look my GS has- I just think it is more unique and classy. Also, the first time you pull up at a classy place with a few friends in the car, you realize how great it is to have four doors- a beautiful woman in a short tight skirt simply CANNOT exit the rear of a coupe gracefully

Granted, you have asked this on the biggest and best Lexus forum in the world- we are passionate about our cars. So are Mercedes owners. If you post this question on a Mercedes board, you will likely get a slew of different answers. You'll have to decide for yourself!
Old 08-04-05, 12:09 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Chea, CLK and overall Benz reliability issues scare me. With Lexus I know it will be worry free. I just wish the GS were a coupe or when the SC430 start to come down a little more. Hopefully next summer. Having driven both the CLK and GS. I must say I do enjoy the handling of both. Th GS to me felt alittle more slippery on the pedal when accelerating. But after a few minutes I was able to adjust. I definitely agree that while the Benz is more "prestigous" and sexy. The GS's owns the CLK's interior. It's not even close. Seats feel fatter on the *** and definitely is wider. I also love the huge glovebox and storage compartments. and oh yeah excellent point about 20's on the GS as opposed to "only" 19's on the CLK. I used to love the E39 also but now they seem so dated and there are definitely at every other stoplight. And I hate that. (Worse feeling in the world)

Quick Reply: CLK430 or GS 430 Help me Guys