GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: JP, LM or neither
JP
47.50%
LM
42.50%
Neither - stick with stock
10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: JP or LM taillights

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-05, 10:13 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think we are confusing the issues here though. If we are talking OEM vs non-OEM, then as far as body kits are concerned, there is only the one that came on the car. I think there is a JDM kit that comes from Toyota and I will accept that as OEM too. The JP tails take OEM parts and add a twist to it. So then, we are talking OEM vs non-OEM (and the JP tails falls into the OEM category).

When we talk about body kits, it is now authentic aftermarket vs knock-off aftermarket. There is no OEM involved so trying to play the OEM card with JP does not mix here. The LM lights are aftermarket tails but that does not make it a knock-off. It is an authentic aftermarket taillight. If it is put down as non-OEM (which it is), all aftermarket body kits (authentic or not) should get the same treatment.

I hope I am getting my point across.

As for which is better? I, like many of you, will reserve judgement until I see the actual product.
Old 08-04-05, 11:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

LM's aren't a JP knock-off - doing a clear turn signal is not revolutionary and the LM's are supposed to have LEDs too. Having said that the JP's do look great, just not for that kind of $.

If the LEDs come out great the LM's will be UNIQUE and a bargain.
Old 08-05-05, 03:44 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LM's aren't a JP knock-off - doing a clear turn signal is not revolutionary and the LM's are supposed to have LEDs too. Having said that the JP's do look great, just not for that kind of $.

If the LEDs come out great the LM's will be UNIQUE and a bargain.
I looked up knock off in the dictionary

knock off

Informal: To copy or imitate, especially without permission: knocking off someone else's ideas

id say these fall into the knock off category

they even tried to make it exactly Like Junction Produce Tails at a fraction of the cost

but were unable to do so

i think we all know the work that goes into producing a JP tail ..Lasers and custom Clear inserts

the fact that it is OEM adds to the cost of the JP tails

And as Far as price..... hasnt that been beaten to death

Last edited by GTFM; 08-05-05 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-05-05, 04:47 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will reserve my judgement until there are pics of the LM tails on a car and we can all see them. There is no doubt that the JP tails are extremely clean and classy. But I cant justify the $1300 price tag for this mod. A lot of people could justify and have it but I cant. But then again I wont be buying either taillights
Old 08-05-05, 07:37 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Neo- I agree mostly with you but I think you can play the "OEM Card" here cuz JP taillights are OEM and FIT like OEM 100% every sinlge time from the 1st set to the last set. My bodykit referances were not to point out authentic is better but to point out that when a member would (for example) comment on if he should get the JDM explosion kit or the ebay explosion style kit he would have been given the advice to get the real deal and save for it, same with wheels, so why is it now different?
Old 08-05-05, 08:46 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the LM is clear like JP but I dont think it is the same. The LM is using LEDs and I dont think you can consider it a knock off of JP. Sure it is cheaper than JP but if the quality is the same how can it be a knock off? So we will have to wait until we can see the actual taillights on someones car and in pictures to determine if it is "Knock-off" quality
Old 08-05-05, 09:39 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GTFM
I looked up knock off in the dictionary

knock off

Informal: To copy or imitate, especially without permission: knocking off someone else's ideas

id say these fall into the knock off category

they even tried to make it exactly Like Junction Produce Tails at a fraction of the cost
So are you saying JP owns the idea of clear tails? I think not. Even at the aftermarket end, there were APC Altezza lights for who knows how many cars that came before the JP GS tails. JP executed it very well but at it's core, that is basically all JP tails are: OEM tails with clear bottoms instead of amber. Yes they use OEM parts but that does NOT make them own the idea of clear tails. They were the first to do 01+ clear tails but that does not make anyone doing clear tails knock-offs.

The TTE and the AbFlug lips look very much alike with slight differences. Does that make one of them a knock off of the other. To me, NO. The shape of the front bumper dictates what can be done and to follow it's shape, a lip needs to be a certain shape. (There are lips like the Wald and Greddy that ignore the bumper shape and just run the line straight across. That is a design choice.)

Similar to the TTE example, there really is not much you can do about the shape of the tail light. It just has to fit in the opening or not. The LM or Kazz tails are just another implementation of an aftermarket tail light . JP is also an aftermarket implementation. JP is NOT Toyota. They took quality to OEM level by sourcing OEM parts but it does not make JP OEM. To put JP on some pedestal is just a fallacy. I like JP stuff, no doubt, but they are not the end all of Lexus aftermarket.

Adrian,

If we are comparing OEM-quality (NOT OEM) vs non-OEM quality, then yes I agree that the JP implentation is superior. But when we talk authentic aftermarket vs knock-off aftermarket, JP, LM, and Kazz are all authentic in my definition.
Old 08-05-05, 10:42 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Neo
So are you saying JP owns the idea of clear tails?
No, but did they come up with the idea ...Yes

just for ****s and giggles ..what is your def. of knock -off ?

And where did i say they(JP) own the idea ?

Even at the aftermarket end, there were APC Altezza lights for who knows how many cars that came before the JP GS tails.
i have seen one pair madefor theGS that were god awful ...pure crap design

And what is your personal opinion of APC tails for those countless cars ?

i have spoken with an owner of Apc taillights for his Honda and would like to hear your thoughts

JP executed it very well but at it's core, that is basically all JP tails are: OEM tails with clear bottoms instead of amber.
this is correct
Yes they use OEM parts but that does NOT make them own the idea of clear tails. They were the first to do 01+ clear tails but that does not make anyone doing clear tails knock-offs.

Again i never said they own the idea .

Maybe if LM didnt use Junction Produce's Name in their thread to get feedback i wouldnt feel as strongly
:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171491
With so many people interested in the JP GS300/400/430 taillights we thought that what better product to offer to CL members than our own EXCLUSIVE GS Taillights WITH LED Lights. This is just a feeler for opinions and comments. We are still in the process of getting these constructed and should be out shortly. The LEDs will shine as bright/comparable to the G35/new 3 series models. These will fit perfectly etc and will be offerred at WAY lower prices and will be VERY affordable compared to the JP Lights
Why mention Junction Produce if these are your Exclusive design??
Old 08-05-05, 11:00 AM
LuxuryMods
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nicely said Neo

GTFM - The JP Name was mentioned only to show/tell the end buyer/user that this is how the taillights will look. Although ours will offer LED's this is clearly something that JP does not produce. We just wanted to get feedback from everyone who had the JP lights or wanted the JP lights but couldn't justify the $1350 price of the mod. Most people on CL seem to be conservative spenders and we just wanted to offer the look of the JP style but with LED. Something a little bit different in style
Old 08-05-05, 11:18 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Neo

JP is also an aftermarket implementation. JP is NOT Toyota.
No One has said Junction Produce is Toyota

but they do use OEm Toyota Parts

They took quality to OEM level by sourcing OEM parts but it does not make JP OEM.
please explain how this doesnt make JP tails OEm

To put JP on some pedestal is just a fallacy. I like JP stuff, no doubt, but they are not the end all of Lexus aftermarket.

This is what JP is

Ive said all im going to say on this

any more from me will just be an argument

so unless some one comes at me ..i have said my peace

Last edited by GTFM; 08-05-05 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-05-05, 11:26 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by GTFM
No One has said Junction Produce is Toyota

but they do use OEm Toyota Parts

please explain how this doesnt make JP tails OEm

This is what JP is

Ive said all im going to say on this

any more from me will just be an argument

so unless some one comes at me ..i have said my peace
Well said J.
Old 08-05-05, 11:37 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxuryMods
Nicely said Neo

GTFM - The JP Name was mentioned only to show/tell the end buyer/user that this is how the taillights will look. Although ours will offer LED's this is clearly something that JP does not produce. We just wanted to get feedback from everyone who had the JP lights or wanted the JP lights but couldn't justify the $1350 price of the mod. Most people on CL seem to be conservative spenders and we just wanted to offer the look of the JP style but with LED. Something a little bit different in style
I think as a vendor here on CL, you should detract from making comparisons in saying "like" or "replica" to other products sold by our other vendors here.
Old 08-05-05, 11:49 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

OK enough guys