GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Error code P0446

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-05, 12:02 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what the? the charcoal canister is not covered? man, i gotta scan a copy of the letter i received from lexus and post it here. well, glad to hear that your car is fixed and that hopefully the light won't come back on.
Old 08-12-05, 02:47 PM
CPALex
Pit Crew

How do you guys get these codes? Do you have to have the expensive analysis equipment or is there some other way?
Old 08-12-05, 05:45 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CPALex
How do you guys get these codes? Do you have to have the expensive analysis equipment or is there some other way?
You have to take it to a specialty shop where they hook up the car to this huge machine that teh car is placed on. they turn the car upside down and put sensors all over the car to monitor everything and they listen to the waves that the machine emits. It's similiar to a cat scan.

Actually you take your car to autozone and they use this reader that is about the size of a cash register laser gun. They plug it into your car under your steering wheel and read the codes. It's not rocket science......and it's free.
Old 08-12-05, 06:41 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JacobT
Here's the update:

Stopped by dealer and talked with the service mgr. He promised to charge me 1/2 hr for diagnosis. If they found somthing that's not covered under warranty, he'd call and let me know the charge. So I picked up a loaner and drove to work.

After lunch, he called me and said they did a pressure test on the emission system and could not find any problem so they reset the system and my car is ready to go. Just picked it up, hope the CEL won't come back any more

2jz,

I also checked with him, the charcoal canister is not covered under the emission warranty. Only the cat. convert is.
pressure test the emission system. lol ummm whats that... i have yet to pressure test the emission system
Old 08-12-05, 07:42 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Kool, that's what they told me. They put some smoke into the system and presurized the whole system to detect the leak. No leak at all. But unfortunately, after 20 miles of driving, the CEL came back on again. I have another appointment to bring my car in on Monday
Old 08-12-05, 11:09 PM
Ltech223
Driver School Candidate

Default p0446

what year is your car ???
Old 08-13-05, 09:03 AM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ltech223
what year is your car ???
It's '99 GS4 with 56k miles on it.
Old 08-13-05, 09:32 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JacobT
That's my thought too. I've never paid for the loaner before but this is the 1st time I went back to dealer after my warranty expired. So my Q is, since I have to pay for the repair, do I pay for the loaner too?
At least here in with Longo Lexus, you don't need to pay for loaner car. However, I was just wondering the other day that due to sky rocket gas price who knows if they will change their policy. However, these gas cost for the loaner is deductible anyways for them.
Old 08-15-05, 10:11 AM
CPALex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
You have to take it to a specialty shop where they hook up the car to this huge machine that teh car is placed on. they turn the car upside down and put sensors all over the car to monitor everything and they listen to the waves that the machine emits. It's similiar to a cat scan.

Actually you take your car to autozone and they use this reader that is about the size of a cash register laser gun. They plug it into your car under your steering wheel and read the codes. It's not rocket science......and it's free.
LOL!! Thanks!
Old 08-16-05, 04:17 AM
2jzfanatic
Driver School Candidate

Well I was kinda messing around with my car, Kinda blindly tinkering with the evap system. Checking the fuel cap, etc. etc. ... Reset the ecu. Everything was peachy for a couple of hundred miles and then, then the light came on again. I'm trying to weed out the cheap fixes. On my Supra, I know I can disable many of the tree hugging systems with out ill effect. I'm just not sure about these newer systems. Just a vapor canister form jay marks toyota is like $463 at the discounted price.. I guess i'm just a cheap arss, especially when the systems malfunction doesn't hinder the cars performance. It just gives me that annoying light...
I'll update my findings...
Old 08-16-05, 06:02 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...RCOAL+CANISTER
read the last post
Old 08-16-05, 08:12 AM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Got a call from dealership after two days of diagnosis. Need to replace charcoal canister and vacuum switching valve. Parts+labor $1100

They still insisted it's not covered by any warranty. Does any one have some copies of EPA papers that you can send me so i can go fight with the dealer? HELP!
Old 08-16-05, 05:36 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

My 2001 Toyota Sequioa had the same problem last week. Charcoal canister and vacuum valve switch. Those specific parts are not covered under the Toyota 8yr/96,000 miles plan. I got it done at Toyota Service for $900 (ouch). Maybe Lexus might be the same way.
Old 08-16-05, 06:07 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

can this be a DIY? i know on hondas, the charcoal canister is easy to locate and replace.
Old 08-17-05, 09:37 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

here is the letter JacobT
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
lex.pdf (155.7 KB, 422 views)

Quick Reply: Error code P0446