GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Error code P0446

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-05, 10:04 AM
2jzfanatic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang! Just for california cars eh? What about 99 models?? My check engine light has yet to illuminate again, but my wife noticed something when driving it yesterday. She runs the ac on fresh air. She noticed on occasion you could smell fuel vapor on accel. . I figured she was just full of caca, so I decided to take it fer a spin and I'll be dammed if it didn't smell like fuel vapor. I normally drive with the ac recirculating. So i guess I'll have to take it in and have it leaked checked.. Or I can just replace all of the hoses on the system.. I wonder which is cheaper??
Old 08-17-05, 10:09 AM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSquicksilver
here is the letter JacobT
GSquick,

Thanks very much!
Old 08-17-05, 10:11 AM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ILOVEGIRLS
can this be a DIY? i know on hondas, the charcoal canister is easy to locate and replace.
It can be a DIY job since the charcoal canister is located under the car. But the problem is on parts not on labor. The canister itself is more than $500
Old 08-17-05, 10:18 AM
trent
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Try ordering the parts you need through lexus-parts.com (Sewell Lexus of Dallas ) you might be able to save some money ordering from them. I'm curious who was the service advisor you were working with?? It's funny that they couldn't find the proble when you first brought the car in.
Old 08-18-05, 08:16 AM
2jzfanatic
Driver School Candidate

Hey JacobT, I dont know how mechanicaly inclined you are, but I fixed mine fairly easily and you might want to attempt this yourself. If you look under your hood somewhere, there should be a routing diagram of the evap system. Check all the hoses and if any are brittle cracked or loose you might find the problem. As I said in a previous post, I could smell a hint of fuel when the ac was on fresh<on accel>. The cel came on again, so I inspected the hoses and replaced a couple by the intake and the light stayed on for two more startups and then it went away. So, I think problem solved.. From all I read it almost seems the dealership finds the most expensive solution and it still doesnt fix it. And granted you had the system leak checked , but i'd atleast inspect them before you drop that kind of cash down...

Good luck man
Old 08-18-05, 08:37 AM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Thanks man, I'll check all hoses tomorrow.

Originally Posted by 2jzfanatic
Hey JacobT, I dont know how mechanicaly inclined you are, but I fixed mine fairly easily and you might want to attempt this yourself. If you look under your hood somewhere, there should be a routing diagram of the evap system. Check all the hoses and if any are brittle cracked or loose you might find the problem. As I said in a previous post, I could smell a hint of fuel when the ac was on fresh<on accel>. The cel came on again, so I inspected the hoses and replaced a couple by the intake and the light stayed on for two more startups and then it went away. So, I think problem solved.. From all I read it almost seems the dealership finds the most expensive solution and it still doesnt fix it. And granted you had the system leak checked , but i'd atleast inspect them before you drop that kind of cash down...

Good luck man
Old 08-18-05, 09:50 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JacobT
Kool, that's what they told me. They put some smoke into the system and presurized the whole system to detect the leak. No leak at all. But unfortunately, after 20 miles of driving, the CEL came back on again. I have another appointment to bring my car in on Monday
hmmm. id have to try that sometime. i usually go by values on what the game boy(lexus scanner) tells me. interesting to see how much much psi they go when the system is supposed to be in a small vacume?
Old 10-11-05, 01:14 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Updates:

Finally got the problem fixed. No more error code/check engine light.
The GS charcoal canister is located behind the gas tank right above the differental pumpkin. To swap out the canister, you'll need to disconnect the exhaust, drop the diff. to get access to the canister. It's a painin the a*s to replace the canister but I'm glad it's finally fixed
Old 10-11-05, 01:40 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is There No Other Way To Change It?

WOW,
Do you really have to lower the differential to get to the charcoal canister? I see this unit under my car everytime I change the oil and inspect everything. I know it is tight, but there HAS to be a better way to change it.

I have a manual. I'll check and see what it says.
Old 10-11-05, 02:30 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gserep1
WOW,
Do you really have to lower the differential to get to the charcoal canister? I see this unit under my car everytime I change the oil and inspect everything. I know it is tight, but there HAS to be a better way to change it.

I have a manual. I'll check and see what it says.
I tried. You can remove the unit but there's not enough room to take it out. The only way is to lose the 2 15mm bolts, drop the diff. about 6-8" lower to swap out the canister.
Old 10-11-05, 02:44 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks a lot. I haven't had any problems with my 99 GS4 yet, but it is nice to know. Maybe that is why the labor costs are so much. Any excuse will do.

As long as I don't have to disconnect the driveshaft and all that, I am fine.
Old 09-15-06, 07:02 AM
artgs3
Driver School Candidate

Default P0446 Warranty extended to 7 years/70,000 miles

Thank you everyone that has contributed to this posting!! Brought my 01 GS3 w/54k miles in to dealership Monday for check engine diagnosis. Dealership identified it as P0446, replace charcoal canister and vacuum switching valve at a cost of $1,015. I called Lexus Customer Satisfaction, told them of situation and that I was aware it would be under warranty for 1998 vehicles. They agreed for 1998, said they would research and call me back on later model years. Well, I got the call today saying Lexus has extended the coverage on this item to 7 years/70,000 miles saving me over $1,000. Hope this helps other GS3 and GS4 owners.