GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lowest price for 60K Service...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-01 | 12:04 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

For all you GS4's that have hit the 60K mark...What has been the lowest price for your 60K service. Thanks for any info...

Brent
Old 07-05-01 | 12:23 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

hey Brent,

how are you man?

i remember we had a brief discussion on this issue back in the old forum.
60k mile service can get expensive if you opt for dealer service. i think longo has the lowest price for any service.
but to truly save $$$, a member recommended taking the car to someone you trust(it is hard for me), buy all the parts your self and have the tech guy replace everything in the service manual. i think there is one/two adjustments that need dealers equipment. then you can just go to the dealer for that 1 or 2items.

steve can get you factory parts at discount, or try

www.irontoad.com

william
Old 07-05-01 | 07:15 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Question What parts need replacing?

gs4will,
I'm going to hit the 60K mark soon myself. I read thru the service manual and I didn't see anything other than replacing the plugs. I did notice, like any other service interval, that fluids and mechanical parts need to be inspected for wear, but not replaced unwarranted.

Could you specify WHAT the parts are that should be replaced?

Many Thanks!
-Damon
Old 07-05-01 | 07:54 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gs4will
hey Brent,

how are you man?

i remember we had a brief discussion on this issue back in the old forum.
60k mile service can get expensive if you opt for dealer service. i think longo has the lowest price for any service.
but to truly save $$$, a member recommended taking the car to someone you trust(it is hard for me), buy all the parts your self and have the tech guy replace everything in the service manual. i think there is one/two adjustments that need dealers equipment. then you can just go to the dealer for that 1 or 2items.

steve can get you factory parts at discount, or try

www.irontoad.com

william
Thanks Will,

I'm trying to get a price quote for comparison purposes...TMEngineering did my 60K service and I want to see for my own sake how much I saved.

The work was first rate, personal, and inexpensive. All factory parts too!

Damon: Parts to be replaced...Spark plugs, Differential Gear Oil (I recommend Synthetic), ATF fluid, Coolant, Engine Oil & Filter, Fan belt.

Genuine Toyota parts should run you around $200 with the spark plugs being the most expensive since they are Iridium plugs at $10 a pop.

Brent
Old 07-05-01 | 07:59 AM
clivej
Pole Position

hi guys,
At my 60k service I told them what i wanted done,if you select the individual service it works out to be cheaper and they still check the other stuff.I told them to change the plugs, timing belt,water pump and they did a overall check, the cost to me was approx. $350 lees than if i went with the package, and i was informed that the car was like new,i had my tranny flushed at my regular mechanic approx. 1 month prior.Try this method and see how this works for you.The point is really, are you willing to pay for something that does not need changing, the package is checking and changing items that need changing so let them check, and change what you want changed,(if after they check, you need to change evrything them you can see which is cheaper, and remember there are some things you can do yourself, brakes etc.) As mentioned earlier you can buy the parts, it's the labour costs that kill you.
Old 07-05-01 | 08:23 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

I had my service done a couple of months ago, and what I found was the dealers by me wanted $1000. Toyota was willing to do it for $500, plus cost of plugs.

I ended up buying the parts from Steve @ Carson and paying $250 to my local garage that I trust and use on my other cars.

Clivej, you changed your timing belt? According the book and my Lexus dealer, that doesn't need to be changed until 90K miles. When that time come, perhaps then I will take it to the dealer, but I doubt it.
Old 07-05-01 | 08:25 AM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

I thought timing belt was at 90k? I did/or am in the process of DIY now...most of the items are easy to do oil, trans, diff, and windshield fluid. I bought the plugs, need to get the fuel filter and that's basically it. I don't think I need valve adjustment or anything like that. I will try and use a reputable Lexus mech. Most the guys at the dealership dont now SHi*, they forget to tighten bolts and etc.
Old 07-05-01 | 09:06 AM
Driver School Candidate

I took my ride into the Lexus dealer w/60k miles and they said everything looks top notch and didn't fix a thing! I think they're just being lazy. Aren't spark plugs and the usuals easy to DIY?
Old 07-05-01 | 09:23 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Talking Do it yourself

I agree, most of the items are DIY. I don't see why anyone would pay over $100 for an oil and filter change, some general inspection, replacing fluids, and plugs (extra).

I know that cars these days are becoming more and more complex, but gimme a break. Doing this maintence is simple. Spend some time yourself, inspect the car, and know exactly how the fluids and breaks, and plugs look. This way, you'll get a better appreciation for how the car is wearing.

As for the timing belt. I was not aware the Lexus uses a belt. Some car, like SAAB use timing chains. I think the chain is much more dependable. I am supprised that Lexus has not adopted this. Typically, as mentioned in the Lexus manual, the timing belt should be changed every 90-100K miles. You really don't need to change it before.

I've replaced a belt in my Acura Integra at 120K miles and it looked as good as new. But, when it goes, you can seriously damage you engine. Possibly beyond repair.

Cheers.
Damon

Old 07-05-01 | 10:53 AM
clivej
Pole Position

Hi guys ,
The timing belt is a major part of why the engine is so damm quiet,my timing belt was moving about on the water pump so i thought it had stretched, that's way i told them to change it,turns out it was the bearings on the water pump that was bad so i had them change that also, now that whole setup is right, and i don't have to be worried that the belt did in fact stretch due to bad bearings.
Old 07-05-01 | 11:26 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

timing belt is vital, a MUST replacement at 90kmiles. only a handful of cars use timing chain nowdays. the reason:timing chains increase the cost of production.

as CL mentioned, look over the manual and do one/few itmes individually. the dealer pkg prices are quite expensive. plus, we can all get parts at 10-20% off retail. but if you go to the dealers, they will charge you FULL RETAIL on the parts. do not forget the tranny/copolant flush.

just for comparo, dealers charge ~550-750.

william
Old 07-05-01 | 05:35 PM
Kevin_wong
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys,

I just asked my dealer for the 60K service, they charge $995, and it will including the following items, check this out!

Replace engine oil and filter
Inspect tire pressure and tire wear
Rotate Tires
Inspect/correct all fluid levels
Inspect engine drive belts and hoses
Replace engine air filter
Repalce engine coolant
Replace brake fluid
Inspect/replace air conditioning filter
Inspect fuel lines and connections, fuel tank vapor vent system hoses, fuel tank bend
Inspect fuel tank cap gasket
Inspect brake pads, discs, lines, and hoses
Inspect steering linkages and rack and pinion
Inspect Steering gear box for leakage (LX470)
Inspect torque sensing type LSD (RX300)
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect drive shaft boots (retorque flange bolts)
Inspect exhaust pipes and mountings
Repalce transmission fluid
Replace differential oil
Replace transfer case fluid (LX470)
Replace fuel filter
Lubricate front drives shaft bushing
Lubricate propeller shaft (LX470)
Inspect height control suspension
Inspect body condition
Inspect chassis nuts and bolts
Inspect air conditioning filter
Inspect wiper blades
Road test and clean vehicle

It is a long listing!!

Kev.
Old 07-05-01 | 10:47 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

WOW!!! $995 for dealer 60K service...I think I saved over 2/3 of that price including parts and labor!!! Good to know, Thanks!

More money for future mods...

Brent