GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The New Redesigned GS Series.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-01 | 05:01 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Hey folks, just need some tidbits on whatever you know about the redesigned GS because my dealer KNOWS JACK.

1) When is it exactly coming out? The reason being is I need to know how much time it will be so I can make an assumption on whether to stop modding up my car and just save the money for the new one.

2) Anyone hear if the retail price is going to up? I hope not!

3) Any major changes? Besides cosmetics only.

I am really looking forward to it. I went to my dealer last week and asked him , he looked at me like he was in 5th grade and told me "I don't know anything"

Anyone here get a straight answer from their dealer?
I know usually they don't want to give away the secret because they want to get rid of everything that they have in stock now.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by D-MAN63; 07-05-01 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-05-01 | 05:56 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Diesel,

Honestly I don't think you will see a totally new GS until the 2004 model year rolls around.. My reasoning is I think they will wait on the competition's new cars to intro first before they bring out the new GS.. BMW and Benz look like they will be introducing the new 5 series and E-Class in 2003 and if memory serves me right the new STS from Cadillac should be updated as well.. With the cosmetic changes they did this year they usually like to run a style for a few years before a major change so it doesn't **** off the current new owner's of a 2001 GS.. Just my take on how I interpret how Lexus does business.. Hope I am wrong thou because I would love to see what they have up their sleeves for the new GS.. Someone mentioned the 430 engine can easily do 350 HP with some tweaking (Wait let me wipe the drool from my face.. )
Old 07-05-01 | 11:14 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

D,

guys are right. the gs is on a 6-year model life cycle, so the next gen will be here ~oct of 03 as 2004 model. lex will follow their plan of observing the e-class and the 5ers to decide what they want to do, performance wise. i am almost positive that the v-8 will be bumped in hp to ~330-350. thoughj the new e430 from benz will only have 310hp, the new 540/545 will have ~340hp. i think the exisitng 4.3L engine will be utilized to save cost, but slight changes will be made to bump up the HP and torque-"Germany, we have another problem"

price-may be just slightly based on the current situation. the premuim pkg gs430s are not moving well.

exterior-should be roomier and bigger

for your mods, just do little things that you like and will not cost you thousands of dollars. save up those $$$ for the next GS. but personally, i like to buy new model cars 2-3 years after introduction.

dealer guys-just like you said, they only want to sell you what are on their lot. it makes sense because if they were to reveal all the latest info, some buyers mat opt to wait. but a lot of the sales also do not do their homework on the latest news.

william

Old 07-05-01 | 12:32 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys. Okay now I got things in order, I am looking at least a good two years before it comes out. Once I get my quads, I think I will stop there with my modifications.

Gs4will, your right about buying a new car that the model is already 2-3 years into production because they would already fix up all the "bugs" that came with it in the first year.

Old 07-05-01 | 01:18 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

When just recently purchasing my 2001 GS430 in June, I was too thinking about the next generation GS, since I didn't want to be caught with last years model or the last generation. However I liked the look of the GS430 so much with the Stock 17" Rim upgrade that I could not resist.

We can never catch up to the latest and greatest so sometimes if you can settle for now that is the best. But on the other you don't want to be stuck with the old generation, when the new one is coming out in a few months.

A perfect example is that I like that look of the ES300, but the new 2002 ES300 is supposed to come out in a couple of months and how could I not wait if I wanted this car, just to see what new changes have been made. However you can probably get a great deal on a current 2001 ES300.

By the way, Lexus doesn't tell you jack about the new 2002 ES300, we should know something by now.

Old 07-05-01 | 01:32 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

lexguy,

it is all about the $$$. as you said, the deal on the es3 is rock bottom right now. and many people do not mind getting the last gen-they are getting the good deals. even the es3 has that wood steering wheels that we all want. a while ago they even have that COACH edition where you get a $500 COACH bag.

when the 02 comes out, for those who like their cars immediately, expect to pay full msrp. on mass production cars, as long as you are willing to wait a bit, you can always find good buys.

my friend actually saw possibly an 02 es in torrance CA not long ago w/factory corp plate.

imho, every 4-6 years there are always new models coming out, so if you like the car and the price is within your plan, go for it.

william
Old 07-05-01 | 07:45 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gs4will
lexguy,

it is all about the $$$. as you said, the deal on the es3 is rock bottom right now. and many people do not mind getting the last gen-they are getting the good deals. even the es3 has that wood steering wheels that we all want. a while ago they even have that COACH edition where you get a $500 COACH bag.

when the 02 comes out, for those who like their cars immediately, expect to pay full msrp. on mass production cars, as long as you are willing to wait a bit, you can always find good buys.

my friend actually saw possibly an 02 es in torrance CA not long ago w/factory corp plate.

imho, every 4-6 years there are always new models coming out, so if you like the car and the price is within your plan, go for it.

william
William, that's a good point and I fully agree. The funny thing is that for BMW's, they have a different way of thinking when talking about the new 5 series coming out. Due to the various reliability problems, they say that the current generation 5 series is the way to go, since BMW has had years to get all the kinks out (although still some problems). The new 5 will just be like a test for those that want the latest and the greatest. Those will be the experiments. This maybe true of all car makers, but I have to say Lexus is by far the most reliable and I have faith in whatever they make.
Old 07-05-01 | 08:53 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Lexguy,

for those who are BRAVE enough to buy the 1-3rd yr of production in BMWs, let me give them my salute. on of our members, Cong, his bud has w brand new 330, and there was smoke coming out from under the hood.

Man, my 1st gs, a 93, had only one problem-CD skips. the only time when there is flame/or anything HOT was the BABEs I had in that car.

will
Old 07-05-01 | 08:59 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Lexguy,

for those who are BRAVE enough to buy the 1-3rd yr of production in BMWs, let me give them my salute. on of our members, Cong, his bud has w brand new 330, and there was smoke coming out from under the hood.

Man, my 1st gs, a 93, had only one problem-CD skips. the only time when there is flame/or anything HOT was the BABEs I had in that car.

will
LOL! It's all about the Babes and I hate to admit it, but the babes can spot a bimmer better than a Lexus, but you know it's all good with Lexus still too. Our GSs are babe magnets!

Even though BMW has a multitude of problems, they really have done a great job with their marketing and name recognition. Lexus is doing a great job too and almost there. Acura is kind of in the middle of Toyota/Honda and BMW / Lexus. Acura and Infiniti really haven't made a clear name for themeslves out there yet.
Old 07-05-01 | 09:22 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Lexguy,

will
LOL! It's all about the Babes and I hate to admit it, but the babes can spot a bimmer better than a Lexus, but you know it's all good with Lexus still too. Our GSs are babe magnets!

Even though BMW has a multitude of problems, they really have done a great job with their marketing and name recognition. Lexus is doing a great job too and almost there. Acura is kind of in the middle of Toyota/Honda and BMW / Lexus. Acura and Infiniti really haven't made a clear name for themeslves out there yet.
Old 07-06-01 | 05:47 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up BMW MECHANIC ON OUR SIDE?!

Just to let you guys know.

My brother-in-law has a bmw mechanic shop hence, he is a bmw mechanic. He tells me all these problems that he sees with NEW models. The other day he saw a brand new 330i coming in with the engine full of smoke and the driver was flipping out. It had like 2000 miles on it. My BIL, told me that the new models have problems with their water pump and brakes easily within a couple of thousand miles.

Its funny how I bring my car in there for a simple checkup and always find everything okay. Plus I have over 60K on it! All the mechanics there are impressed with my GS since they never really saw anything else besides bimmers.

just letting u know