GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

what's this on my rearview mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-05, 12:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
There are two sensors to detect the amount of light for activating the autochromatic mirrors. The sensor that is pictured above is behind the mirror and senses the amount of light in front of teh vehicle. The other sensor is in the front, it's small and round and in teh mirror. It detect the amount of light shining into the car from the rear. They work together. If you're sitting in a garage with your rear facing the garage door with it open, the sensors will detect the small amount of light at the front end and the excess light shining from the rear tricking it into thinking it's a car's bright lights and the dimming will be activated. Happens when you're going into tunnels as well.
thanks for the explanation chicago.

so basically what you are saying is, the sensors work together to create a "comparison" of the light from the front and the back, if the contrast is significant enough, then the autodim is triggered?

so in other words, let's say if it's at night, and i got two cars using hig beam to shine at me, one in the front and one in the back, and in that case the autodim won't work coz' the light intensity from the front is similar to that from the back?
Old 08-12-05, 12:57 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

so basically what you are saying is, the sensors work together to create a "comparison" of the light from the front and the back, if the contrast is significant enough, then the autodim is triggered?

so in other words, let's say if it's at night, and i got two cars using hig beam to shine at me, one in the front and one in the back, and in that case the autodim won't work coz' the light intensity from the front is similar to that from the back?
Yup....I never thought about that, but I guess it wouldn't work since the levels of light from both sides are bright.

Just a tip on the sensors......keep them clean. I use a wound up microfiber to get into the one in the rear. It can get dusty in there. Also, make sure that the sensor in the front built into the glass of the mirror is clean too......it'll make sure the system works at it's best.
Old 08-12-05, 02:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

umm, maybe i should try two flashlight and see how that thing works, very interesting concept. i always though as long as the light intensity from the back is over certain level then the system is activated.

but then again, i never use it. i always turn it off when i get into the car
Old 08-12-05, 02:05 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I'm so used to letting it do it's own thing that I have grown numb to people and their brights. I can't even tell you the last time I remember consciously when they dimmed.

Hell, it could be broke for all I know.
Old 08-12-05, 02:49 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Everyone is wrong.
It's the flux capacitor
Old 08-12-05, 05:51 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sputniknyc
Everyone is wrong.
It's the flux capacitor
now thats funny!!
Old 08-12-05, 05:59 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sputniknyc
Everyone is wrong.
It's the flux capacitor
1.21 jigawatts?!?!? I.21 jigawatts?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 08-12-05, 06:57 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

That’s exactly what it was. I know this for a fact because I ran into that problem when I installed my mood lights. It so happens that I installed two of them, one from behind, and one from the back of the mirror (both concealed so not to blind anyone), and they offset each other, and work perfectly. If one or the other is turned off, the mirrors will either get too dark, or wont dim at all.
Old 08-12-05, 08:31 PM
GSXLEX
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Arent the outside mirrors supposed to dim also.It doesent seem like they change at all.Is it the same greenish look as the inside mirror.BTW I have a 99 gs400 in case it isnt an option on this year.
Old 08-12-05, 10:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
That’s exactly what it was. I know this for a fact because I ran into that problem when I installed my mood lights. It so happens that I installed two of them, one from behind, and one from the back of the mirror (both concealed so not to blind anyone), and they offset each other, and work perfectly. If one or the other is turned off, the mirrors will either get too dark, or wont dim at all.
cool, thanks for confirming. this is some nice thoughts i think

and yes, my outside mirrors dims too, but very lightly, no where close to the rear view one
Old 08-12-05, 10:46 PM
LexFather

I thought it was the option "Death Ray" to kill bastards in front of you who can't drive...
Could have swore it was an option