GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Problems with rear door locks locking

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-07, 06:09 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I can write a few memories I have about the job. I guess someone else can put their thoughts in as well. Trust me, the wrenching part is the easy part. The taking out the rearmost screw is the huge PITA.

Ok, you will need tools.
1. Flat head
2. Philips
3. Ratcheting 12mm box end ( you can use the non ratcheting, but it will take a lot more time)
4. Philips, or Torx bits, I forgot which, but you should see them once you open the door, you will need to take out the screws for the latch on the side.
5. Door panel clip puller. (optional, but beneficial)

Process
1. Take off the door panel. You have to pop the little panel that is under the door handle (inside). Use the flat head or something smaller. It pops out easy so be gentle. Take out the Philips screw that is under it. Look around the door panel, there might be other Philips around there, I will check tonight for you guys.
2. Pop the clips that hold the door panel in place. I didn't brake even one, but I used a clip puller. You should be able to do the same with the flathead. And don't worry, the clips are cheap, even from Lexus. BMW uses the same clips as well, and like 10 of them is $1.
3. Roll UP window. Pull the now loose door panel towards the interior and up. Look on the backside of the panel and remove the wires from the door lock, puddle light, and window switch. Cable also from the door lock.
4. Peel back that plastic sheet and you will have access to your entire door. You should also now see all the wires and everything else going to that actuator.
5. Now there should be 2 or 3 bolts holding the actuator in place. Use the 12mm ratcheting box-end. Do not worry about anything but the rear-most bolt. That one will require some hand acrobatics from you. Maybe a few scratches as well. You might bleed for that last screw.
6. Take out the screws from the outside latch part of the door.
7. Once all the everything is loose, grab your outside handle, it will fall out. All those screws you took out, hold the handle in as well. And you will not be able to put everything back in without removing the handle.
8. Unplug all the other wires from it and you are done taking it apart.

When re-installing:
1. Take your time. Don't force it all back in. It will fit, just take it easy. The alignment off all the parts will work out as well. Just put in all the screws loose. Once all of them are in, start tightening it all up.
2. Reconnect all the wires, and check if it works before finishing the reassembly.
3. The door panel goes back on with the top first. Make sure you put the top in, by the glass, slide the panel down, then push the clips back in. Don't forget to reconnect all the wires to the panel first.

And thats the basic how to.