GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Problems with rear door locks locking

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-05, 04:15 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problems with rear door locks locking

I noticed that when I lock my car with remote on the key it does not make a click sound sometimes and sometimes when you click 2nd time to turn off the headlights it does not turn them on. After about a week I noticed that my rear door was unlocked then the other day the other door was unlocked after i locked the door!!! so for 2 weeks I had my back doors opened!! I looked in back doors and the locks on the door is very hard to close compared to locks on the front doors, so that is the problem.. I took door covers off and checked and cable is fine? Anyone else has same problem? or how to fix it..
Old 08-13-05, 08:20 PM
jroosh
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlomonosov
I noticed that when I lock my car with remote on the key it does not make a click sound sometimes and sometimes when you click 2nd time to turn off the headlights it does not turn them on. After about a week I noticed that my rear door was unlocked then the other day the other door was unlocked after i locked the door!!! so for 2 weeks I had my back doors opened!! I looked in back doors and the locks on the door is very hard to close compared to locks on the front doors, so that is the problem.. I took door covers off and checked and cable is fine? Anyone else has same problem? or how to fix it..
I just resolved this problem myself only it was the right front door. When you click the remote, the car won't set the alarm or turn off the lights unless all the doors lock. I discovered that the right front power door lock wasn't working any more. The dealership replaced the actuator. It was a $700 repair, but luckily covered under the CPO warranty.

I hope your's is cheaper but it sounds just like my situation and I also have an '01 GS 430. Mine has about 66K miles on it.
Old 08-14-05, 04:28 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

wow.. Everything worked fine before I installed sounds system, the shop built custom buffles in all 4 doors, but i do not see how it would mess up the power door locks, the cables on the locks are out of the way completely from the buffles. but both locks if you push the lock manually on the door is much stiffer to close then front doors.. when i lock the car, it locks once, sees that rear door, now only passanger side does not lock, it tries to luck itself again and fails untill, i lock it manually and then push lock on the remote so it clicks and activates alarm. How would this be $700.. it is only a cable? is there any DIY for this..
Old 08-16-05, 04:20 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

i found other posts on actuator going bad in GS's, I think I have a problem with rear passanger side, it opens but doesn ot close, it started after the shop installed system in my car, someone on other posts mentioned that they could have pulled the cable on the door lock, someone know how to fix the cable without changing the actuator, if i try to manually close it, it feels very tight and not like ones on the front doors?
Old 08-16-05, 07:43 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by dlomonosov
$700
Seven hundred dollars????

You know, if you tried to build a Lexus, it would cost $150k in parts and $250k in labor.
Old 08-23-05, 11:49 AM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

I took my car to local car sound shop, they checked my both rear doors and said that the cables are fine the actuator is ok but problem is in the lock itself, and it is the whole assembly, is that what you guys were talking about, that costs $200 plus labor, when you say you need to replace the actuator and that is very common part that breaks?! so i need both door actuators with the whole assembly to fix this problem, there is no do it yourself deal?
Old 08-23-05, 09:50 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Seven hundred dollars????

You know, if you tried to build a Lexus, it would cost $150k in parts and $250k in labor.
That's an interesting point of view...
Old 10-03-05, 08:28 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Crap, I am here to join the club. My rear passenger door lock doesn't work anymore. So this officially sucks. I have to go get me a new one I guess. Anyone know the best place to order this.
Old 10-03-05, 03:58 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I just noticed my passenger door does not lock either using the remote or driver door button. I thought you may of had to program which doors lock and which ones don't and the previous owner may have had the passenger door programmed not to unlock since he had a small child. When I researched it I found this is a very common and expensive to repair problem among GSs and other lexus cars. 3 2001 Black on Black GS430s now with the same problem in the same thread, that is pretty interesting and a little concerning. This problem should not be affecting 2001 cars as Lexus has known it has been a problem since the 1998 GS model and even before on other Lexus models.

Unfortunately even though I have 47K miles my basic warranty is up time wise. I am going to see if the dealer around here will cut me some slack and fix it under warranty since it is only a few months past and this is a common design defect which should have been recalled and fixed with no expence to Lexus owners in the first place. If they will not do it I am going to complain to Lexus headquarters about this. I urge others to do the same because if you pay that ridiculously high cost of getting it fixed it means Lexus and their dealers are making a bunch of money off of a design defect they should have adressed a long time ago and Lexus owners are the only ones getting screwed. I have the moisture in the headlights too which is another very expensive design defect problem that should have been fixed and adressed a long time ago that I should not have to pay for . To fix the moisture and door actuator problem will cost around $1600-1700 and that is not making my Lexus car ownership experience that confidence inspiring and a bit of turn off. I can live with the moisture problem and may try some other suggestions to fixing this other then replacing the light assembly but I really should not have to do this myself from a company like Lexus. The door actuator problem is totally unacceptable and will be a pain to live which could possibly result in my car being broke into if a passenger forgets to lock it and assumes it should work. Toyota/Lexus has plenty of money to address this issue and it is very dissapointing that they don't. Paying 500-700 to fix a simple power door lock is outrageous especially when it is a known defect that was not addressed. This part and problem should really only cost 30-50 dollars at most to fix and someone is making a bunch of money on this at those 500-700 prices.

My parents Acura TL and CL only have one "possible" design defect which is a faulty transmission and Acura has adressed the problem properly by inspecting all possible cars, fixing the problem if there is one at no cost to the owner, and extending the warranty to 100K miles on the drivetrain. Lexus should do the same for the moisture in the headlights and especially the door actuator design defect. I know a transmission is a more serious issue but the cost of fixing the GS issues is about the same as fixing the transmission issues in the Acuras. I love my GS430 and hope to enjoy it for many years but things like this sour my experience and does hurt the image of Lexus which should address problems like this with recalls and fixes at no expense to the owner instead of owners having to shell out hundreds to over a thousand dollars for design flaws just because their basic warranty ran out. Lexus has too high a reputation to allow things like this to happen and treat their customers like this.
Old 10-07-05, 08:57 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with UDel 100%. I have never had this problem with any other car. This is just insane. It would not be too much of an issue if it were a $20-$70 part, but it is $193 from sewel lexus. And that is without labor. Labor is a pain in the ***, and will be at least another $50-100 from my local alarm guy. And the huge pisser is that my extended warantee does not cover this either. I have had this car for 6 months, and feel really pissed that this is happening already.
Old 11-12-06, 12:28 PM
jwcivic
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone find a cheaper solution?
Old 11-12-06, 02:14 PM
movinquick
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slickgt1
Crap, I am here to join the club. My rear passenger door lock doesn't work anymore. So this officially sucks. I have to go get me a new one I guess. Anyone know the best place to order this.

My right front passenger lock stopped working a month back. i ordered the actuator for $210 from carson's www.l-tunedparts.com (i think) and went over to the junk yard and had someone put it in for $20. now the locks are strong whenever i lock the doors.

carson's is probably the cheapest you're going to get if the actuator is the problem. i called around the tristate/long island area and everyone was charging way over what carson's charges.

also, as i was watching the guy install the actuator, it looked pretty easy with the right tools. i think you need a philips and a torx screw driver. he also removed the door handle to give him enough leverage to take the actuator out in case anyone here is into the diy thing.

hope this helps..
Old 11-13-06, 06:58 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

I've done it. Not too easy I would say, half hour to and hour deal maybe. You need to really get in there and put yourself is some weird positions. Nothing I would wory about doing myself though.
Old 11-13-06, 08:41 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

it may help if you write a do-it-yourself post. i think a lot of members will need to do this soon.
Old 03-03-07, 07:35 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anyone got the DIY for this?

Quick Reply: Problems with rear door locks locking