GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Just in case you care, the Supra is alive and well...in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-01, 03:33 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry

The Supra Lives!
Attached Thumbnails Just in case you care, the Supra is alive and well...in Japan-supra-jza80-front.jpg  
Old 07-07-01, 03:34 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota America sucks...
Attached Thumbnails Just in case you care, the Supra is alive and well...in Japan-supra-jza80-interior.jpg  
Old 07-07-01, 03:41 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That car is the most driver oriented car Ive EVER seen....Look at how everything is sooo set up for the driver...hahahahaha As a passenger you may just as well not exist..I LOVE it!!!!! Toyota America has issues.... Tiny
Old 07-07-01, 08:35 AM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isn't that a 2k model...the last year of the supra ...even in Japan? I thought I read somewhere that the mkiv was over after the 2001 model year.
Old 07-07-01, 09:01 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Smile

Yup, its sucks that the the Supra TT was discontinued here in the US...luckly I am one of the few who owns one...nothing like the feel of over 400RWHP...that is until I upgrade to a single turbo for over 600+RWHP . But anyway, the current rumor is that the new Supra will be arriving around 2003 and will be a V8 Twin Turbo and be marketed as a Lexus. The downside will be that it's suppose to be over $100,000!!!...Darshana S...
Old 07-08-01, 12:10 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Supraman16,

And where did you here this little rumor? Twin-turbo v8? I don't know but the CARB board in 2004 might (or already has...) be pushing for a ZEV or zero emissions vehicle(s) in the future. I partially understand the concept behind smaller engines and a small turbo but a large displacement twin turbo v8 is questionable.
Old 07-08-01, 12:45 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

I've heard new 3JZ-GTE with still a 3.5 liter inline 6 TT. Hmmm....... seems like that's more reasonable.
Old 07-08-01, 12:46 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

V300,
I heard about his while talking to some of the guys on the Supraforums.com. The V8 that is rumored to be in the next Supra is supposed to be based on the current GS430 V8. Before, it was rumored that it won't be turbocharged, but now the latest rumor is that it will be a twin turbo V8...I guess in part due to the new HKS Drag Supra which uses the Lexus V8 and is a twin turbo. But once again, this is all rumors as of now. There are pictures of what the new Supra is supposed to look like on the Supra website, www.mkiv.com ... the website is currently down because it is currently being upgraded. I do understand your skepticism due to the smog regulations...but you never know what Toyota may have up their sleeve. But if they do bust out a V8 twin turbo, us turbo guys will most likely not have to worry about turbolag ever again ... you would have both the low end torque of a V8 and the high end of a turbo once the turbos start spooling!! It would definitely be up there in the ranks with the best of supercars....Darshana S...
Old 07-08-01, 10:05 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default ...a rumor is a rumor is a rumor...

Darshana,

I do stop by MKIV from time to time and everything sofar is rumor. But it would be really cool if a V8 twin turbo Supra would come into play.

BTW, the HKS drag Supra is not a joint project with Toyota. From what I've recalled, it uses the 1UZFE, twin 3037s (maybe bigger), a Nissan throttle body, and HKS's F-Con Pro V. HKS is a powerhouse in the aftermarket car business. They can build whatever and whenever.

Concerning turbolag... stick with the stock setup or move to a dinky TS04 with .51 A/R. If you want even quicker spool up, I have the J-spec stock twin ceramics of second generation 2JZ-GTE. Or use direct port Nos. That should solve your problem.
Old 07-09-01, 06:29 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

V300,

Yeah I know that the HKS Drag Supra isn't a joint Toyota project. I was just using it as an example to show that it could be done...but then again, what can't be done with really deep pockets !! But yeah, unfortunately there is no real credible info on what the next Supra will be like, just rumors and speculations.

In regards to my Supra, I will most likely go with one of SP's new turbos such as the SP60 which will allow me to still utilize the stock fuel system, or I may go a tad bit bigger and go with the SP63...of course this will have a bit more lag and I'll have to go with a bigger fuel system, but then that is the price to pay for big horsepower. I would have loved to have gone with another twin setup, however the only twin setup that is currently availible, the HKS 2835's, are a bit too laggy for my taste. But when I'm ready to upgrade, I'll most likely go with an SP turbo, or maybe even take it down to UPRD and have them custom design a twin kit for me...but this all depends on how much cash I have to burn by that time...Darshana S...

Old 07-09-01, 06:31 AM
DakaDan
Rookie

Thats a nice looking car

DakaDan
Old 07-09-01, 11:21 AM
v300
Lead Lap

Default Supra Talk

Originally posted by Supraman16
V300,
In regards to my Supra, I will most likely go with one of SP's new turbos such as the SP60 which will allow me to still utilize the stock fuel system, or I may go a tad bit bigger and go with the SP63...of course this will have a bit more lag and I'll have to go with a bigger fuel system, but then that is the price to pay for big horsepower. I would have loved to have gone with another twin setup, however the only twin setup that is currently availible, the HKS 2835's, are a bit too laggy for my taste. But when I'm ready to upgrade, I'll most likely go with an SP turbo, or maybe even take it down to UPRD and have them custom design a twin kit for me...but this all depends on how much cash I have to burn by that time...Darshana S...
Darshana,

Since you are local, why not try using XS Engineering's X or X2 series turbo systems. They use Garrett and Garrett AI products. I will be upgrading to the T04X2, P-trim, .71 A/R, ball-bearing turbo... think of it as a hybrid TS04 and a TO4R. Also, I am upgrading to a SARD manifold, HKS 60mm racegate (.6-1.0bar), HKS rail, SARD FRP, HKS/Cosmo Fuel pump and 680cc injectors. That is the way to go for road racing and street. I am a bit paranoid about staying with the stock US setup even on a T-60 turbo. I think there will be conflicts between factory fuel system and aftermarket goodies such as a boost controller and single turbo. There will still be boost spikes and the injectors might lock-up. It happened to a good friend of mine when two of his factory injectors/cylinder locked up on him... btw, he was running 1 bar. He is upgrading to the above described fuel system as of now. By the way did you know you can change the housing on the 2835? In fact that is what Powerhouse Racing does with their "proprietary 2835 kit". Honestly, I still think the 2835 is an overkill... get the identical components to that kit and use 2530 turbos instead... better response and you can still push well over 600rwhp. UPRD is not what it used to be. My car was an unfinished project of UPRD before it gone through corporate reconstruction. The Hungtinton Beach company broke apart and is now known as Under Pressure Racing Distribution located in the Santa Ana/Fountain Valley Area. The custom work is out-sourced to the new partner company JC's Racing. The Watanabe brothers will not be the ones working on your car. I recommend Alex Shen over at SP Engineering to do the custom work... book him in advance. He does excellent reliable work. SupraTRD and a couple of HKS, GReddy, and A'Pex-I will vouche for his work.
Old 07-09-01, 11:27 AM
RacingAristo

Forget about M3, I want a Supra.
Old 07-09-01, 01:56 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

V300,

I have never heard about the XS Engineering's turbo systems. I knew they made a FMIC for the Supra but that's about it. I'll definately look into their turbos and see what the specs are like for them.

Anyway, the only reason I wanted to stay with the stock fuel system was due to the very strict smog regulations we have here in CA (as I'm sure you know). From what I have heard, it will be very difficult to pass smog if you upgrade the fuel system, but most of the smog people won't even notice the aftermarket turbo because most rarely see a Supra in the first place. This combined with the fact that I have heard a lot of good things about the the new SP Turbos is the reason the SP60 is my top choice currently. However, I am somewhat torn between getting a twin or a single set up.

I was at UPRD about 2 months ago getting my VPC and SAFC tuned and I saw first hand some of the work they have done...in particular Keith Ta's awesome Supra with a custom TWIN T-66 setup which UPRD developed. Before going to UPRD to tune my VPC/SAFC I did infact call up SP Engineering to do my tuning...they were initally my first choice to do the tuning on my Supra, however, they gave me some crap about how they didn't like Apexi products so they wouldn't even touch my car, even though I bought the VPC from them...go figure. Because of this I went with UPRD and I was surprised how well I was treated there. They didn't treat me like I didn't know crap about my car and J.C. (the chief mechanic there)tuned my car perfectly...thanks to them, my Supra runs unbelievebly smooth...almost as smooth as my GS400 believe it or not!! I did hear before that UPRD seriously had some issuies before but under the new ownership they seem to have left that all behind them and focusing more on customer relations and racing...they are planning to resurrect their drag Supra and pin it against Vinny Ten and Craig Paisley!!

But anyway, I am thinking that I may let UPRD design a more streetable twin kit for me considering that the twin kits that are currently availible are very laggy...this includes the Powerhouse 2835. There was a recent discussion on Supraforums.com about the Powerhouse Twin 2835's and there is serious skeptism that they can perform as well as Powerhouse claims. I know about the 2530's but I don't know how well these will perform considering that it takes a VERY WELL TUNED 2835 equipped Supra to make around 650RWHP...so I think that the 2530's won't make 600RWHP...plus there are now much nicer turbos out there to choose from and ones with a lot less lag.

Anyway, I still got a lot of research to do before I decide on my final set up but thank you for the info on the new XS Turbos...Darshana S...