GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My encounter at the LEXUS Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-01, 09:09 AM
Spartan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Well....
My car has 5000 miles on it and it has stalled once unexpectidly and the sunroof has that stupid ticking noise when it is closed. Other than that the car is perfect. I am very happy with it. I decided to take the car in anyways to get these two problems looked at.
They took it in and to no ones suprise an hour later the guy comes back hands me the slip and says your car is all set. I ask him was everything fixed, were there any problems?
He said they roda tested the car and they found NO RATTLES from the sunroof and the computers showed no problem with the car related to stalling. I was pretty upset. They didnt do anything!
The mechanic even had the nerve to write down on the slip "Customer has modified suspension and exhaust". So I asked the service guy if I could come back the instance I find a rattle in the sunroof. I decided to lay off of the stalling problem (hoping it was a fluke). He said sure anytime. So I get in teh car and take off and as soon as I exit the dealership driveway I hear it and I pulled right back into the service bay and asked for the mechanic. So he comes out all PISSED OFF!!!.....I was really suprised. I held my cool and we both get into the car. He slams the door shut more than a person should in a Lexus, this isnt a FORD. I was polite the entire time and I explained to him what the problems were. He right away jumped th gun and started (with a pissy attitude) complaining that I modified the suspension and took the roll and pitch out of the car and I should not expect Lexus to fix my car. So I drove around a bit more and made sure he heard the ticking noise. Then I said.....Sir, tell me this, what about L-tuned modifications installed by the dealership, would my car be "your problem" then? He hesitates and says well those are covered under warranty if we install them. I said my Teins offer the same kind of feeling and ride that the L-tuned suspension mods would and he quickly SHUT UP!!! realizing that I had him. He started being all polite and apologized after that for being so irate with me. This entire time I was a polite as can be. I bet he like the SRT intake sound while we were driving around. So we get back in and he says he will do the same fix they had for the 98-99 models and then comes back out 30 minutes later explaining that my car (2000 model) already had those fixes and he would need the car for like a day or so to further diagnose the problem. I was upset at this point and said thanks for trying and I will bring the car back another day (I wa already there for like 3 hours). I am not going back to Meade Lexus in Southfield again. I will try Ann Arbor or Lansing. They are nice and all but they get pissed when something goes wrong and they have to fix it. Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to vent and find out what everyone else with this problem did to get it corrected and what kind of arguments you all had with your dealerships?
Thanks
MIKE

2000 Silver GS400 PE - SRT HFI + ECU II, TC, Tein HAs, Borlas, L-tuned ECU, TRD STB.
Old 07-07-01, 09:21 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

I know what you mean . I don't even bother going to the dealer anymore. Once they saw I had 20's on, they all have attitude probs. And that was before my suspension upgrade! Too bad there isn't a Longo "type" of service here in nyc
Old 07-07-01, 09:56 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

My Lexus Dealer in Tampa is pretty cool about modifications. They have about 3 GS4's on the lot fully loaded with L-Tune modifications. They don't seem to mind when I roll in there with my 20's. That's just my experience---glad it's been a good one, but I know how dealerships can get. Once you alter the car, they act like they never sold it to you!!!!
Old 07-07-01, 10:03 AM
whitediamond
Pole Position

Default Need to adjust to the times

In the past Lexus owners really did not mod their cars as they do nowadays and Lexus is not accustomed to this. This said Lexus should trains their dealer associates in this fact and on the proper way to address the customers instead of just slamming them at the dealership. Lexus really needs to get with the times and get out of that "stuck in the early 90's" attitude. I do not go to the dealer for too much as I can do a better job 90% of the time then any dealer tech can anyway. But those 10% times......terrible service. It is hilarious in the beginning when they try to expalin something to me without them being aware of my mechanical knowledge. Some of their explanations would cause anyone in the know to cringe. I would add that Lexus service has lost some of if it's initial luster and that Lexus should put forth some additional training at the dealership level on parwith what they had in 1989.
Old 07-07-01, 11:00 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Guys,

Pls post also in the thread "rate your service dept" in the Maintenance forum section.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-01, 08:31 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Whatever happened to customer service and the customer is right most of the time? I would expect more and even above and beyond for a Lexus Dealer to try to help you out and not even asking much to be polite.

My GS430 is stock, but even if your car is modded within the warranty bounds, then Lexus Dealers should treat it the same way any other stock Lexus is treated.

Lexus service overall is supposed to be very good, but I guess they do vary from place to place, like any other brand. Just depends on who you are dealing with and how the place is run. The only problem is that you have to get along with your dealer if no one else is close, since you have to go back there for service and deal with them on a regular basis!
Old 07-07-01, 09:46 PM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

I have to agree with the posts regarding the Lexus dealerships attitude with modifactions, and just plain rude behaviour. I know most of the people that work there are really interested in exceeding the customer expectations, however there a few total bones-heads in service at my dealer, Lexus of Portland, Oregon, I just bought my IS 300 and have a documented service bulletin from Toyota regarding the TRAC control unit, and my car is in the range of VIN #'s for replacement. But upon asking the service manager, about getting this taken care of, he was Mr. Pig Vomit to me.....total ****&$ !
Old 07-08-01, 04:08 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

I Haven't got any unpleasent experience with the Lexus dealer yet, no matter in bayarea lexus, or Tustin lexus, they all provide great service. I found Tustin to be very reliable, just that you need to talk to the right guy.....

I dunno if it's the way I talk, or I am just plain too lucky. even tho i am young, I still get great service! You just have to know the right guy ! hm.. Bay area Lexus dealer is getting very cocky tho.... Especially the Steven Creek Lexus. ..... Serramonte and Patnum Lexus are fine!.
Old 07-08-01, 06:13 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gsintensive
I Haven't got any unpleasent experience with the Lexus dealer yet, no matter in bayarea lexus, or Tustin lexus, they all provide great service. I found Tustin to be very reliable, just that you need to talk to the right guy.....

I dunno if it's the way I talk, or I am just plain too lucky. even tho i am young, I still get great service! You just have to know the right guy ! hm.. Bay area Lexus dealer is getting very cocky tho.... Especially the Steven Creek Lexus. ..... Serramonte and Patnum Lexus are fine!.
You are right it's about presentation and treating others nicely too, especially those you pay for a service from. But this fellow lexus member was polite and just expressed his concerns and was dismissed right off the bat, maybe he was younger, maybe due to the mods, but it's still uncalled for in the service industry to treat your customer's this way. No matter how good the service, you will always run into mean people. Lexus service is above average, but it's not perfect either.
Old 07-08-01, 11:16 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Default saturn customer-service

I posted this on the old clublexus, the best customer service that I have encounter is SATURN dealerships. My ex-G used to have a saturn and I went with her to her dealership all the time. They treated us like royalty man ! They bought us lunch, drinks, and provided cinimea movies etc.....

Go figure, SATURN?
Old 07-08-01, 12:31 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: saturn customer-service

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63
I posted this on the old clublexus, the best customer service that I have encounter is SATURN dealerships. My ex-G used to have a saturn and I went with her to her dealership all the time. They treated us like royalty man ! They bought us lunch, drinks, and provided cinimea movies etc.....

Go figure, SATURN?
That is customer service for you, sometimes I see them (SATURN) have cook outs in front of the dealership at times.

Too bad, they only make good cheap cars and that's it.