GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Paranoid - Leaving GS in other peoples hands

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-01, 12:35 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63

I know that place EXACTLY my friend . Luckily around my area, I know the parking attendants really well and in the beginning on occassion I give em a big tip so they remember who I am. Now every time they park my car, they park it right in front where the security camera is right-smack-dab in the middle of my car. Though thats only around my area.
It's good to know someone on the inside so they can look out for you, but if you don't (which most of us are in that situation) and we just give them a big tip beforehand, you're just giving them more money to F around with your car when you are gone and they don't evencare, since they have an incredible car at their disposal.

You definitely need a Nanny Cam in our GS or some place you can park it on your own. :-)

Old 07-09-01, 06:44 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I know that place EXACTLY my friend . Luckily around my area, I know the parking attendants really well and in the beginning on occassion I give em a big tip so they remember who I am. Now every time they park my car, they park it right in front where the security camera is right-smack-dab in the middle of my car. Though thats only around my area.
Hey by the way for parking attendants and valet services in the city or elsewhere, do you tip at the time or drop off and also when you pick it up? What do you think is the appropriate tip before and after?

Look forward to all your suggestions on this one.
Old 07-09-01, 08:57 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trusting GS with others

Hey gang,

its nice to see we all think alike. I hate valet parking my GS, and have found a sneaky but effective way to make me feel secure.

My GS is equipped with a stolen vehicle locator. It's not Lo-Jack, but something better, because I can track the car anytime, anywhere with a phone call, from the internet or a 2way paging device/PDA. I usually just give the valet a few bucks and tell him to put it where he won't have to move it, then I disable the car (can't start it even with the key) I disclose this to them so they know not to move it. If I can't disable it I can call up at anytime and monitor where the car is, how fast its going etc. and I ALWAYS check the mileage.
Old 07-09-01, 09:45 AM
clivej
Pole Position

HI guys,
Hey johnny whats this device,need to know more,cost etc, i think this is maybe the best MOD i could but on the car.
Old 07-09-01, 10:58 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Cool Stolen Vehicle Locator

The device is called PageTrack2. You can checkout more here http://www.elitelog.com The thing costs close to a grand, and there is a monthly/annual monitoring fee. The thing works pretty much like a home alarm system. Your alarm goes off and they call you to let you know, you can then track your car, or call the police or both. If you have a built in cell phone you can even call into the car and talk to the thief - most thieves will be wise a$$es and pick up the phone. Once you tell the dirtbag you know how fast he's going and what street he's driving on he'll probably be spooked enough to know he's gonna get busted and quite possibly f--d up (not that I condone that----yeah right, let me introduce you to my friend Mr. Sig) that he'll park the car and high tail outta there. I have the number of the Northeast area rep if you want shoot me a PM.
Old 07-09-01, 11:01 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lexguynj

Hey by the way for parking attendants and valet services in the city or elsewhere, do you tip at the time or drop off and also when you pick it up? What do you think is the appropriate tip before and after?

Look forward to all your suggestions on this one.
Most people I know tip them after they get you the car.

Make sure everytime you go there its the same guy parking your car or atleast make your face know to them.
Old 07-09-01, 01:58 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Most people I know tip them after they get you the car.

Make sure everytime you go there its the same guy parking your car or atleast make your face know to them.
DIESELMAN63, I was thinking the same thing (TIP WHEN YOU PICK UP YOUR CAR), but it's kind of tough to get the same guy taking your car and picking it up for you, since there are several of them around.

So I'm still not sure if I should tip at the time of drop off, but I'm sure to tip when picking it up. Are we talking $5 or $10 here? I think $5 is good, but maybe I'm a cheapskate! HA! HA!

Any of your comments will help as always!
Old 07-09-01, 02:03 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Trusting GS with others

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
Hey gang,

its nice to see we all think alike. I hate valet parking my GS, and have found a sneaky but effective way to make me feel secure.

My GS is equipped with a stolen vehicle locator. It's not Lo-Jack, but something better, because I can track the car anytime, anywhere with a phone call, from the internet or a 2way paging device/PDA. I usually just give the valet a few bucks and tell him to put it where he won't have to move it, then I disable the car (can't start it even with the key) I disclose this to them so they know not to move it. If I can't disable it I can call up at anytime and monitor where the car is, how fast its going etc. and I ALWAYS check the mileage.
Johnny that is a tank of a security system, but have you ever caught anyone driving your car when they shouldn't have been at a dealer, etc?

With these NYC valets and parking garages, they have to move cars all the time, so not sure if they will let you completely disable your car for hours. You might as well put the club on the car and have them drive around in circles.

Hey the CLUB maybe another way to go! But Johnny's system looks solid and is amazing!
Old 07-09-01, 03:14 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lexguynj

DIESELMAN63, I was thinking the same thing (TIP WHEN YOU PICK UP YOUR CAR), but it's kind of tough to get the same guy taking your car and picking it up for you, since there are several of them around.

So I'm still not sure if I should tip at the time of drop off, but I'm sure to tip when picking it up. Are we talking $5 or $10 here? I think $5 is good, but maybe I'm a cheapskate! HA! HA!

Any of your comments will help as always!
Well for me, there is this restuarant I always go to and the first time, I tipped him a big $20 and after that, he's parked my car FIRST in front of the restuarant . He always greets me kindly, better than what he treats others.

You have any places where you go to where the valet people there will get to know you?
Old 07-10-01, 06:06 AM
LuvMyLex

Default I can relate

My husband and I are obsessive in some peoples eyes about our 1998 SC400. We are so worried about dings. When I go to the grocery store I park way out in the parking lot so nobody will get near my car. Why is it that someone will always park next to your car no matter how far away it is parked? Kills me. I park in the same parking place everyday at work. It is up against a wall and I park so close to it nobody can get near dinging my car. When I go out to lunch at work and it is my turn to drive, I try to always go to a restaurant where I know I can park without being dinged. I never take my car to the mall. Way to many dings there. People just don't care. I think some people ding cars just to be rude. Jealously or something. My husband and I believe in pride in ownership and try to protect our baby from all the rude people in the world.
Old 07-11-01, 12:03 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Well for me, there is this restuarant I always go to and the first time, I tipped him a big $20 and after that, he's parked my car FIRST in front of the restuarant . He always greets me kindly, better than what he treats others.

You have any places where you go to where the valet people there will get to know you?
When heading into the city for some wining and dining, I usually park at the garages with the parking attendants and you know these guys change all the time, so no consistency to maintain a regular relationship. Thanks again for the advise though!

Old 07-11-01, 12:12 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

To update you all, I have to go back again to my Lexus Dealer to finish up the uneven tail pipe issue (covered under warranty). I tried to see if I could wait during this repair, but was told that I would have to leave it and at least this time, they would give me a loaner.

I'm still feeling paranoid (please refer to this first original thread for explanation), due to the unknown address programmed into the NAV and the extra miles on the car (this is still debatable). I guess the best way is to just monitor the miles and make sure the problem is fixed and remain on good terms with your dealership service, since it is a long term relationship.

As you can see, you can never shake this paranoia when it comes to your own baby.