GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Paranoid - Leaving GS in other peoples hands

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-01, 08:16 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2 week old Lexus GS430 (loaded with the ML and NAV, 17" Wheels, Rear Spoiler, the works). I am in love with this car and already getting very protective over it.

Look what happened in only these 2 weeks when I left the GS in other people's hands. I maybe picky, but it drives me crazy at times.

1. Dealership - In for a 1K mile service / Vibration in the steering wheel and one exhaust tip lower than the other. 14 miles were recorded when I came back to pick it up at the end of the day. 14 miles is in that gray area, where you are saying, sure 7 miles back and forth to test the vibration/shimmying could be possible, but seems kind of a long drive too.

The sunroof shade was open and get this, I checked my Nav and the previous routed trip was to someone's house that I never have seen or programmed before. I checked the distance and it was 18 miles both ways, so unless the odometer was tampered with, driving it to this location would not be possible (since 14 miles recorded total). I still can't figure this one out.

2. Today my wife and I went into NYC (by the way the NAV is incredibly accurate in the city). We head into a parking garage and you can see the parking attendants drooling over the car and when we drop it off and head out onto the street, I look back and the guy is circling & checking out the car. I come back 5 hours later and didn't really check the mileage on the car if it was driven, but find that my rear head seat is raised upward as if to accomodate someone tall in the backseat. WTF? Why would someone be sitting in the back seat of the car?

Well I guess I have to get used to this (maybe too paranoid at times), since it is a Lexus, but this is all driving me crazy. It's like my baby car is being violated everytime I leave it in someone else's / stranger's hands.

Any other Lexus owners experiencing this same thing? Maybe I am too paranoid, but it's just wrong having someone else take out your car for joy ride when you don't know about it.

Old 07-07-01, 08:54 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Lexguy,

no, it is not JUST you. i share your feeling and experience.

about the dealership, try talking to the service dir, but do not be specific as to which guy you suspect might be tempering w/your gs. or better yet, if your dealership has a customer satisfaction dept. file the complain w/them. if no one on the local, retail level is paying attention to your CONCERN, call the 1800 corporate number(i do not have it handy).

my service guys are very good to me over the years, but i just hate to see this happens to others. i remember a friend of mine's gs had a rolled down window that was done by whoever at the dealers, and resulted in water damage to the leather seat when they washed his car. the guy was an attorney, so the dealer had to compensate big time for settlement.

about the parking attendant, i feel your pain man.... that is why i try MY BEST not to valet park here in LA. though there are many decent people out there, you just cannot be too careful. ever seen the movie-"Ferris Buler Day off....."? the guy's dad's classic Ferrari came back w/few hundred miles after it heas been in the hands of parking attendant.

some people simply cannot stand people w/nice cars.

william
Old 07-07-01, 09:05 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gs4will
Hey Lexguy,

no, it is not JUST you. i share your feeling and experience.

about the dealership, try talking to the service dir, but do not be specific as to which guy you suspect might be tempering w/your gs. or better yet, if your dealership has a customer satisfaction dept. file the complain w/them. if no one on the local, retail level is paying attention to your CONCERN, call the 1800 corporate number(i do not have it handy).

my service guys are very good to me over the years, but i just hate to see this happens to others. i remember a friend of mine's gs had a rolled down window that was done by whoever at the dealers, and resulted in water damage to the leather seat when they washed his car. the guy was an attorney, so the dealer had to compensate big time for settlement.

about the parking attendant, i feel your pain man.... that is why i try MY BEST not to valet park here in LA. though there are many decent people out there, you just cannot be too careful. ever seen the movie-"Ferris Buler Day off....."? the guy's dad's classic Ferrari came back w/few hundred miles after it heas been in the hands of parking attendant.

some people simply cannot stand people w/nice cars.

william

William, again you are my mentor here my friend. You speak words of wisdom and I do appreciate your feedback when I start to vent. My wife reminded me too about Ferris Buler's Day off and that scene you mentiones, that is just a nightmare.

As for the dealership, I do see what you mean, you have to tread lightly on these issues, since it's like *****ing at a restaurant waiter/waitress and having them spit in your food when they are in the back. You have to sort of kiss *** too to make it a pleasant experience, since in a dealership's case you have to go back on a regular basis and see these same people. But having you car played with at a Dealership is most disturbing if that is the case.

As for Valet parking, it's almost impossible to park on the street when you head into NYC for a day or night on the town, so you have to put your trust in the hands of these parking attendants. Nothing much you can do except keep an eye out or install video cams in your car to see what exactly is going on when others are supposedly taking care of them.

I just have to deal with it all ;-) Thanks again for your advice.

Old 07-07-01, 09:30 PM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

Oh no no...I am truly the paranoid one when it comes to leaving my 2 month old IS 300 anywhere...my wife knows from my previous cars how wacked I am about finding a 'ding-free' spot, I'll do laps in a parking lot until I find 'the right' spot. And going to the dealer....of course I do the inspection when the car is being brought in, and then I let them know, nicely but firmly, that I will be checking every single body panel, when I pick up the car....and I always bring the car washed, I've only been once for the 1,500 mile check over. But I'll actually wait and watch the mechanics work on my car.....I trust no one with the car, besides me....all my cars I have been this way, and I always get premium resale on them because they are in near perfect condition, when I sell them
Old 07-07-01, 09:34 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lexusnexus
Oh no no...I am truly the paranoid one when it comes to leaving my 2 month old IS 300 anywhere...my wife knows from my previous cars how wacked I am about finding a 'ding-free' spot, I'll do laps in a parking lot until I find 'the right' spot. And going to the dealer....of course I do the inspection when the car is being brought in, and then I let them know, nicely but firmly, that I will be checking every single body panel, when I pick up the car....and I always bring the car washed, I've only been once for the 1,500 mile check over. But I'll actually wait and watch the mechanics work on my car.....I trust no one with the car, besides me....all my cars I have been this way, and I always get premium resale on them because they are in near perfect condition, when I sell them
Lexusnexus, that is paranoid, but I do understand your way of thinking! :-) It's your baby, you have to keep an watchful eye over it at all times. I have a feeling that if you did find someone taking your car for a joy ride or you finding something fishy going on when you leave your car with someone else, that you would go beserk and crazy, like the rest of us.

Protect your Lexus Always!
Old 07-07-01, 10:03 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up Yap, i am not along.....

I just showed my babe these posts and comments, and i am just glad that there are guys like me who simply CANNOT stand inconsiderate people in this world.

Lexusnexus, if i could i would pass a law for "desgnated parking spaces for dent+ding free cars" , and anyone caught for messing w/our rides should have their faces DENTED by our slugger. until this day, i still remember this guy w/his beat up van dented my car while I was sitting in the car. i wanted him to pay-up and he said he would beat the crap out of me. so the cop came, and there he went to the BIG HOUSE. let me salute the invetion of cel phone.

william
Old 07-08-01, 02:43 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lexusnexus
I second this whole THREAD!!!!! Dont let anyone else tell you how protective, obsessive, attached to, etc., etc. you should be about YOUR car....Ive learned to diagnose those who view a car as nothing more than a mode of trans. from point A to point B....Let them be however they want, as long as it is with their car not yours.....I have yet to have to take my car to the dealer,(knock on wood) and if the work is a one day job, I will definitely be hanging there, keeping a CLOSE eye on my car until it is done....LOL Tiny
Old 07-08-01, 05:21 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My dealer has always been quite good as far as treatment of my car........no joyriding apparent, etc. But the parking lot crap drives me nuts!!!! I'll park as far as possible from the door, in a part of a lot with zero cars, zero traffic and come back to find some rustbucket right beside me. Then, of course, there are the sociopaths who will key your car just for the hell of it, since it's a nice car.

So, I do what I can, but I've learned to live with the occasional ding. Without ginding off too much of what little enamel is left on my teeth.
Old 07-08-01, 06:17 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mooretorque
My dealer has always been quite good as far as treatment of my car........no joyriding apparent, etc. But the parking lot crap drives me nuts!!!! I'll park as far as possible from the door, in a part of a lot with zero cars, zero traffic and come back to find some rustbucket right beside me. Then, of course, there are the sociopaths who will key your car just for the hell of it, since it's a nice car.

So, I do what I can, but I've learned to live with the occasional ding. Without ginding off too much of what little enamel is left on my teeth.
I am so glad that you guys agree with me here on my thread and we are justified to protect not only our babies (Lexus), but it's also our investment too.

Keying a car, just because it's nice is just wrong and drives me nuts. No respect for other people's property.

I'm getting **** over this tampering of my NAV and extra miles. The other day I routed this destination left on my NAV and traced it to a scary backroad place in my area. Maybe I am fretting over nothing, but I had to try. I am thinking that it was just entered for the guy to play the GPS only and not to drive it there (since it did not match with the ODO, just too many miles).

That's my latest update and I still don't like NYC Parking Garage / Valet Attendants! Can't trust them with you my GS baby!
Old 07-08-01, 10:53 AM
clivej
Pole Position

Hi guys, NYC parking lots are really a problem for me, there is one in particular on water street close to the intersection of wall st I drove in one day and left it there ,on returning both front head rests were elevated,pissed me the f%$#@ off,another time, same lot, came back, radio was turned off and my head lights were turned off, and this is one of those where you can't park and leave with your key($28) for 6hrs. Will not be parking there again.
Old 07-08-01, 11:06 AM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

What a funny movie...were in LA are you?
Old 07-08-01, 11:11 AM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

Default Re: Yap, i am not along.....

I just showed my babe these posts and comments, and i am just glad that there are guys like me who simply CANNOT stand inconsiderate people in this world.

Lexusnexus, if i could i would pass a law for "desgnated parking spaces for dent+ding free cars" , and anyone caught for messing w/our rides should have their faces DENTED by our slugger. until this day, i still remember this guy w/his beat up van dented my car while I was sitting in the car. i wanted him to pay-up and he said he would beat the crap out of me. so the cop came, and there he went to the BIG HOUSE. let me salute the invetion of cel phone.

william
LOL You Should See Me Im Just Waiting For Someone To Dent It, I would proabably make it worse by yellin things I shouldnt...lol
Old 07-08-01, 11:11 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by clivej
Hi guys, NYC parking lots are really a problem for me, there is one in particular on water street close to the intersection of wall st I drove in one day and left it there ,on returning both front head rests were elevated,pissed me the f%$#@ off,another time, same lot, came back, radio was turned off and my head lights were turned off, and this is one of those where you can't park and leave with your key($28) for 6hrs. Will not be parking there again.
I know that place EXACTLY my friend . Luckily around my area, I know the parking attendants really well and in the beginning on occassion I give em a big tip so they remember who I am. Now every time they park my car, they park it right in front where the security camera is right-smack-dab in the middle of my car. Though thats only around my area.
Old 07-08-01, 11:15 AM
clivej
Pole Position

Hi diesel did you get my PM about dave
Old 07-08-01, 11:18 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Yeah clive I did ! Did you get my PM reply back ??? Sometimes the PM message is screwy. I replied back immediately when I got the PM.

thanks.

Quick Reply: Paranoid - Leaving GS in other peoples hands