GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Repainted rear bumper (with pix)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 09:06 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man this is turning out to be a big headache fo you. Sorry the bad luck is hittin.

Let us now how it turns out......and if it was worth the mess.
Old 08-25-05, 09:27 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
Man this is turning out to be a big headache fo you. Sorry the bad luck is hittin.

Let us now how it turns out......and if it was worth the mess.
Yeah. Maybe I should have just gone to Carnica as originally planned. They had quoted me $150 for the bumper. I just figured that I would be better off at a reputable body shop. As for whether it was worth it, my rear bumper was pretty messed up, so, in the end, it probably will be worth it, but it's going to take a little more effort to get to where I want to be. I can't stand to even look at it now. I've got to post up a few more pix so everyone can see what I'm talking about. I'll take pictures in the daylight tomorrow.

e-man
Old 08-26-05, 06:23 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey e-sorry to hear your having probs. everything has to be a pain in *** or things just wouldn't be normal I know the feeling.

Hopefull it will work out in the end. it still already looks better then before. if it makes you feel better, I can almost always see a different shade on plastic painted parts compared to metal even on brand new cars.
Old 08-26-05, 12:21 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
hey e-sorry to hear your having probs. everything has to be a pain in *** or things just wouldn't be normal I know the feeling.

Hopefull it will work out in the end. it still already looks better then before. if it makes you feel better, I can almost always see a different shade on plastic painted parts compared to metal even on brand new cars.
Chuck -- no doubt about that (plastic v. metal). And this is particularly apparent when you're dealing with silver. It's really kind of weird. I was explaining it to a friend of mine at work (who used to work with paint) and he asked if he could take a look at it. So I pulled my car out of the parking garage and into a parking lot where it could be hit with direct sunlight. Anyway, long story short, we get out of the car and the match looks perfect (in the direct sunlight). It only looks really strange in low lighting conditions. Also, I compared it to the front bumper (which has not been painted), and I'm seeing the same color difference (although not to as great of an extent). Anyway, like I said before, they need to re-do the top half of the bumper anyway, so maybe they'll get it just right the second time around. And, yes, it does look a lot better than it looked before with all the cuts and gauges. I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-26-05, 03:26 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb

Absolutely, the ABS plastic parts always look different from the metal body work. One reason, an additive is put into the paint used on the plastic parts. Its there to help keep the paint flexible since the ABS is pliable and gets bent every time someone touches your bumper. On white or DWP colored cars, this leads to yellowing over time that takes place at a different rate and to a greater extent than on the metal panels
Old 08-26-05, 03:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

e, i know it's always hard. sometimes with these paint, it's a real pain coz' it's not only about the color itself, it's almost about the number of layers they do, and also about the layers of clear they put on. even if those are off a bit, you will see the kind of difference you do right now.

bottom line to me is, if it's close enough in most scenario, it's good enough. heck, sometimes i think, maybe from factory it's already a bit different.