GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

fast and furious

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-01, 05:00 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: No flames intended

Originally posted by v300
Brent,

No flames intended on the Supra issue. I think think using Sawatari's RX-7, Paisley's Supra?/Thundra, Puckett's SGP TTZ, Bergenholtz CRX, Papadakis' Civic? might not work in everyday street driving situations and especially stop and go traffic. I thought the idea of the movie evolved around the import scene: mod-ed street cars and the subcultures behind it.

Anyways, nice video of a 2001 GSX-R1000. I highly do not recommend cyclist drive that dangerously fast and recklessly on public roads. They are just putting other motorist and themselves in danger. If you like that one I have an even better mpeg with a pre fuel injection GSX-R600 SRAD with a turbo. I don't know where to upload it to.

v300,

Yah, I agree that those cars would not be streetable...BUT wouldn't it be nice to see them on the big screen ?

As for the vid, that is one crazy dude. Did you see the police car parked to the left? I don't think he would have had a chance to catch him from a standstill as he passed at 170MPH!!! Crazy, crazy, crazy...

Brent
Old 07-12-01, 12:12 PM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Default Bleh..

I just saw the movie last night. Man, what a dog. Waste of 90 minutes. And think that I could have washed the dishes. Maybe even mopped the floor.

I love the idea of pressing the NOS button (or two) and accelerating faster than the Space Shuttle. <cough>bull****<cough> Who in the world says NOS anyway? You think NOS paid enough in sponsoring the movie to print and say NOS about a zillion times?

Eeeek.
Old 07-12-01, 01:43 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default Sorry you don't like NOS

MrHorse,

The NOS trigger and the nitrous system you see in the movie is not fiction. In reality many avid users of NOS destroy their engines when they overshoot too much NOS into the port directly expecially when the bottom end is not optimized. Back to NOS, think of it this way. The air we breathe only contains less than 20% oxygen. Oxygen is one of the key ingredients needed for combustion. Nitrous oxide contains on the other hand contains 37% oxygen. Now compress N20 in a can and what to you get? Obviously cold N20 but a high steady concentration of oxygen needed to supply combustion.

I think an expert on this forum on the usage of NOS would be Todd Matsubara of TM Engineering. In the olden days, we used to call him "NOS-Birdie." As a hobby Todd drag races a SC400 with NOS.

I agree with you on the movie on the boundary that it is a theatrical billboard for SEMA member companies like HKS, GReddy, BomexUSA, our pals at NOS, A'Pex-i, AEM, etc., etc.
Old 07-12-01, 04:57 PM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Default Nitrous..

Yes, I know that buttons were (and still are) extensively used during racing and/or 1/4 mile runs. However, I've read several articles stating that NOS is most useful when the car is in low RPM and turbo lag is present. This occurs up until 3000-3500 RPM. When the turbo kicks in, NOS is useless. Well, not completely useless, but much less useful than under 3000 RPM. Furthermore, some shops reported that their NOS/turbo cars ran slower with NOS engaged. Without Nitrous they ran faster.

In big-block V8's, with no forced induction, NOS does add a kick in the *** when the button is pressed. At any RPM. However, in small (4-6 cyl) engines, it actually hinders performance. ALL of the cars in F&F were turbo'ed.
Old 07-12-01, 06:25 PM
KingLexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Nitrous..

Almost EVERY big dog Supra owner run's nitrous and for a combination of reason's. 1. To help spool the turbo in drag racing and 2. For that extra power.

I have a 120 direct port on my 825hp Supra and the kit on Craigs (Fast/Furious) car is identical to mine. Running nitrous the entire 1/4 mile is COMMON in boosted cars.

Mark Tozer
Founder
SupraStore.com
2K GS400
825HP Supra

Originally posted by MrHorse
Yes, I know that buttons were (and still are) extensively used during racing and/or 1/4 mile runs. However, I've read several articles stating that NOS is most useful when the car is in low RPM and turbo lag is present. This occurs up until 3000-3500 RPM. When the turbo kicks in, NOS is useless. Well, not completely useless, but much less useful than under 3000 RPM. Furthermore, some shops reported that their NOS/turbo cars ran slower with NOS engaged. Without Nitrous they ran faster.

In big-block V8's, with no forced induction, NOS does add a kick in the *** when the button is pressed. At any RPM. However, in small (4-6 cyl) engines, it actually hinders performance. ALL of the cars in F&F were turbo'ed.
Old 07-12-01, 06:56 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is not uncommon for nitrous to be used the entire pass on a turbo car, it's just that the cylinder pressures could exceed the capabilities of the engine components. The most common use is to back down the max boost by like 5 lbs then squeeze on the motor. To say that nitrous is useless under boost is absurd. If there was anything on wheels that would make you poop in your pants from fear, it would be a high boost turbo car with the nitrous engaged.

NOS didn't pay a dime to be promoted in that movie, in fact, they PAID NOS for using all of the product in the movie. The store props were on loan, but the kits used and the parts that were not returnable were charged to them, just like normal.

Old 07-13-01, 07:45 AM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Default Again..

I stand corrected - if NOS makes that much of a difference throughout the entire 1/4 mile run, then so be it. However, you can't possibly tell me with a straight face that pushing that button at a high velocity with the engine revving near the redline, that you would get such a massive rush in acceleration as seen in the movie. Let's be a little realistic.
Old 07-13-01, 09:14 AM
T66Supra

Default Re: Again..

It depends on how NOS you are running. If you have a 50 HP shot of NOS then you are right, if you are running 200+ HP shot of NOS you will see a significant increase in acceleration.

Originally posted by MrHorse
I stand corrected - if NOS makes that much of a difference throughout the entire 1/4 mile run, then so be it. However, you can't possibly tell me with a straight face that pushing that button at a high velocity with the engine revving near the redline, that you would get such a massive rush in acceleration as seen in the movie. Let's be a little realistic.