GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Intake (revisited)..

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-01, 04:54 PM
RacingAristo

I've never seen K&N TV commerical but 20 hp gain by an intake filter sounds way too good to be true.
Old 07-10-01, 08:44 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

20hp with filter alone is not possible. No tuning, no power.

Brent:

S-AFC, not AFC-R (not to be confused with AVC-R)
Old 07-10-01, 10:54 PM
RacingAristo

Hey Ray,

Could you come help me when I try to install HFI/ECU? I will provide food and drink.
Old 07-10-01, 11:11 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by RacingAristo
Hey Ray,

Could you come help me when I try to install HFI/ECU? I will provide food and drink.
call me up and i'll be there when I'm available
my boss came back and i gotta start goin to work again (finally.......... paint money for grill)
Old 07-10-01, 11:15 PM
RacingAristo

Most likely I will do the installation during weekend at either Cerritos (my home) or Newport Beach (James' place).
Old 07-11-01, 09:40 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most likely I will do the installation during weekend at either Cerritos (my home) or Newport Beach (James' place).
Dennis,

I can assist if needed...I just did my install a couple of weeks ago. I am really bad at soldering though... and that's the toughest part of the install.

Brent
Old 07-11-01, 09:47 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
20hp with filter alone is not possible. No tuning, no power.

Brent:

S-AFC, not AFC-R (not to be confused with AVC-R)
Getting me back ehhh? Thanks for the clarification...

All this Japanes stuff is confusing to me... ....S-AFC, AVC-R, Type S, Type R, Weapon R, GS-R, GS-T, R-Type (anyone remember that video game?)...

Brent
Old 07-11-01, 10:25 PM
RacingAristo

Originally posted by BLiu

Dennis,

I can assist if needed...I just did my install a couple of weeks ago. I am really bad at soldering though... and that's the toughest part of the install.

Brent
Brent,

Actually the only thing I'm not sure how to do is to install SRT's ECU. Did you install it yourself? I could really use some pointer here if you don't mind. Help is always welcome and food will be always prepared. hehe.
Old 07-12-01, 10:06 AM
daku
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: K & N Air charger

Originally posted by BLiu

Daku,

Here's the scoop: Any filter charger/filter element/intake will yield some HP increase. Some better than others by give or take 5 HP (very generous). However, none of these mods will yield the 20HP or better results without some electronic tuning of the air-to-fuel ratio and timing. This means that in order to get over 20HP with this mod, you need a piggyback ECU, a Fuel Controller (Apexi AFC-R), or someone that can crack into the factory ECU (very hard!!!!). SRT sells the intake PLUS a piggyback ECU that will yield over 20HP - without it you may get 10HP TOPS (again VERY generous).

Go back and read carefully the literature. It probably has somewhere in writing "UP TO 20HP" or "ALONG WITH OTHER MODS". If you asked them to prove in writing that their unit ALONE provides 20HP dyno-proven performance you will get a song and dance number.

In my opinion, intake alone is not that great of a bang-for-your-buck mod except that it looks cool under the hood. You are better off getting a TC which will DEFINITELY increase off-the-line performance. JMHO

Brent
I guess I was taken by the seemingly similar design of the two systems. The actual increase K&N mentioned was 7% of horsepower which I thought would justify the "Up to 20HP" claim. I got kinda busy at work, but I'll check to make sure they don't have an ECU piggybacked as well. Thanks everyone for your help and thanks for the TC advice!
Old 07-12-01, 10:27 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Brent,

Actually the only thing I'm not sure how to do is to install SRT's ECU. Did you install it yourself? I could really use some pointer here if you don't mind. Help is always welcome and food will be always prepared. hehe.
Check your PM...
Old 07-12-01, 10:42 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: K & N Air charger

Originally posted by daku

I guess I was taken by the seemingly similar design of the two systems. The actual increase K&N mentioned was 7% of horsepower which I thought would justify the "Up to 20HP" claim. I got kinda busy at work, but I'll check to make sure they don't have an ECU piggybacked as well. Thanks everyone for your help and thanks for the TC advice!
Daku,

Save yourself the trouble of researching. K&N does not and will never ever have a piggyback ECU for the Lexus GS. You can count on that.

Brent
Old 07-12-01, 02:58 PM
bLingIn3o0
Pole Position

THEY ALSO HAVE A BLITZ INTAKE BUT I HEARD THAT IT WASN'T THAT GREAT... EVERYONE SEESM TO LIKE THE SRT INTAKE AND FROM WHAT I HEAR FROM FRIENDS ATL LEXUS IS THAT WEAPON R HAS ONE MADE AND ARE TRYING THEM OUT ON SOME SOME CARS RIGHT NOW... WILL POST ANSWERS FROM THEM WHEN I HEAR FROM THE GUY WHO HAS IT....