GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Intake (revisited)..

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-01, 01:50 PM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps this a newbie question, but I'd like to hear honest opinions..

With 3 air intake options available (SRT, RMM, and RS), which is most effective? I'm pretty much set on the Borla exhaust system. Same with the steering ECU and a torque converter. However, intake presents me with a dilemma.

Considering that the SRT intake runs 900 bux ($800 special), RMM is $320, and RS (Akimoto) runs ?? (help).

I tried searching the archives for comparisons and/or preference, but was unable to locate any threads.

Help would be appreciated.

Last edited by MrHorse; 07-09-01 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-09-01, 02:56 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RMM intake will make your perfomance WORSE and you'll get pinging, so thats for sure no, unless you like to pay people to screw up your car (which i'm pretty sure you don't) then RS akimoto is good, but no one really knows much about it, i dont sorry, but SRT is deffinatly the best, plus better MPG so why not? plus when they have a special its only 650 and theres one like every 3 months
Old 07-09-01, 03:33 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Sounds like RMM needs to rethink its technology.

I hear alot of not-so-good things about RMM products and its service.
Old 07-09-01, 04:00 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

I went through this same intake dilemna...

Here's my reasoning. Sure, the SRT intake cost almost double of what's out there but from their dyno charts you are getting over 20HP and 20ftlb torque!

There is no intake system that can put out these numbers alone unless you match an intake with the Apexi AFC-R. Then, you have to get it tuned correctly by someone who really knows how to get the most out of the Apexi unit. So it is not really a plug and play kind of a situation. Furthermore, there is not too many people out there with an intake Apexi AFC-R setup BUT there are tons of people out there with the SRT unit that can vouch for its performance.

It's your choice, but keep in mind that the SRT does go on sale from time to time at CL meets for UNDER $600 (special price, obviously). I would say that if you are not much into tuning your car and spending a lot of effort tuning, then go with the SRT unit because it gives the proven dyno HP right out of the box! Hope this helps.

Brent
Old 07-09-01, 04:24 PM
RacingAristo

Did SRT have a special price for HFI/ECU at Carson Toyota's meeting? I didn't remember that.
Old 07-09-01, 04:28 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RacingAristo
Did SRT have a special price for HFI/ECU at Carson Toyota's meeting? I didn't remember that.
Dennis,

Yup...Great price - but for the GS400 though...You have a GS430 so I don't think SRT was selling it then but you should have come anyway so that we could have meet in person!

PSSST! Bug Steve to have another CL meet and I am sure SRT will have it at a much lower price...

Brent
Old 07-09-01, 04:41 PM
RacingAristo

They did? How come Ray didn't tell me that? <stare at Ray> Yeah, I feel so bad that I couldn't attend the meeting (for the sandwich). Did I just say it out loud? HAHA.
Old 07-09-01, 05:05 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

They did? How come Ray didn't tell me that? <stare at Ray> Yeah, I feel so bad that I couldn't attend the meeting (for the sandwich). Did I just say it out loud? HAHA.
That's right Globe was too concentrated on the sandwich to remember to let you know about the CL SRT intake prices...HA HA
Old 07-09-01, 09:09 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They had special pricing on SRT intake? I did'nt know that ! :eek:

Well they didn't have 430 and no 300 so I probably weren't paying attention. Sorry man.

Yah brent the sandwich got my attention allright!
Old 07-09-01, 09:10 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

I don't see the different bettween the RS intake and the RMM, they both should produce similar gain, since they are both does not have ECU

Is the RS intake is a cold air setup? even so, it does not make any different, when the car is moving, the engine heat is pushed away from the intake. so you should see similar gain.

Anh
Old 07-10-01, 06:28 AM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Default Thanks..

I appreciate everyone's comments. I too did a little homework and found out that the SRT intake is the only one with an upgraded ECU. This accounts for the MPG and HP gains. I've definitely decided on the SRT intake. One thing is that I will need this setup in 1-2 weeks. Will there be a CL meet before then? I might have to spend $800 (but I'd rather not). Perhaps Swift will quietly sell me a unit for around $600 right now.. ??
Old 07-10-01, 08:21 AM
RacingAristo

I suppose you can pay premium for the faster shipping. I can't wait for those babe either.
Old 07-10-01, 10:07 AM
daku
Driver School Candidate

Default K & N Air charger

Hi Guys,

Quick Disclaimer: I'm beyond a rookie. I'm probably playing Pop Warner as compared to most of the members here.

My question is regarding the K&N Air Charger kit. When I called K&N's 800 line, they claimed their air charger would provide a 20 HP gain in power. Could this air charger serve as a substitute for the other products mentioned? Its going for about $350 in the DC area which would seem to make it an excellent value, assuming that its a viable substitute.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-10-01, 02:31 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: K & N Air charger

Originally posted by daku
Hi Guys,

Quick Disclaimer: I'm beyond a rookie. I'm probably playing Pop Warner as compared to most of the members here.

My question is regarding the K&N Air Charger kit. When I called K&N's 800 line, they claimed their air charger would provide a 20 HP gain in power. Could this air charger serve as a substitute for the other products mentioned? Its going for about $350 in the DC area which would seem to make it an excellent value, assuming that its a viable substitute.

Thanks for your help!
Daku,

Here's the scoop: Any filter charger/filter element/intake will yield some HP increase. Some better than others by give or take 5 HP (very generous). However, none of these mods will yield the 20HP or better results without some electronic tuning of the air-to-fuel ratio and timing. This means that in order to get over 20HP with this mod, you need a piggyback ECU, a Fuel Controller (Apexi AFC-R), or someone that can crack into the factory ECU (very hard!!!!). SRT sells the intake PLUS a piggyback ECU that will yield over 20HP - without it you may get 10HP TOPS (again VERY generous).

Go back and read carefully the literature. It probably has somewhere in writing "UP TO 20HP" or "ALONG WITH OTHER MODS". If you asked them to prove in writing that their unit ALONE provides 20HP dyno-proven performance you will get a song and dance number.

In my opinion, intake alone is not that great of a bang-for-your-buck mod except that it looks cool under the hood. You are better off getting a TC which will DEFINITELY increase off-the-line performance. JMHO

Brent
Old 07-10-01, 04:50 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Hahahahahahahahahaha.....Realistically, if you dyno'd a "drop-in" air filter expect a 2-3 hp gain..no more...K+N could not be more full of it!!! I laugh every time they run their TV commercial that claims a 20hp gain....Tiny

Quick Reply: Intake (revisited)..