GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

L-tuned ecu question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-01, 12:20 AM
kobiejohn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This evening I replaced my stock ECU in my GS with the L-tuned. When I pulled the original out it had the exact same p/n on it as the L-tuned ECU, does this seem normal?

The local Lexus dealer doesn't have any info on any of the L-tuned products. When I initially attempted to order it he told me it would be a waste of money, the GS was already the best handling car Lexus produced. The parts guy has since turned out to be a really nice guy but has what seems like limited access to L-tuned info. When I placed the order for it I had to go on line to get the p/n for the dealer as they had no listing for it.

Before replacing it I went back thru past treads to see in I could find any info on the ECU's, I couldn't find any that had dealt with this specifically- just is gs430 the same as L-tuned, which still seems unanswered.

I went ahead and replaced the ECU and I took the car out for a test drive. In past treads most stated that the noticed a diff at highway speeds so that were I headed.
I didn't notice any diff from the stock ECU. I even tried several very hard corners at a high rate of speed and a couple of 270 degree onramp to the highway.

Do the p/n on the original and L-tuned differ? I just want to make sure I received the L-tuned part. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-10-01, 06:54 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

What ever happen to Steve at Carson Lexus. Was he suppose to get back to us whether the ECU on the GS430 is the same as on the L-tune ECU...

I don't understand why people felt the different, but Lexus uses same part number on both Ltune and non-Ltune ECU.

How do they know which one is which to sell to us? how do they keep track their inventory? I would think a company as big as Toyota would ran into this problem already.

Kobiejohn,
do you have a digital camera? Can you take a picture of the component inside the L-tune ECU.
I just want to compare with the stock ECU to see if any component in there is changed? (I can also see if there is a programmable chip in the ECU or not. I want to get the ECU also, but my steering system on the car works great already.

Anh
Old 07-10-01, 10:20 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

I've exchanged several e-mails and voice messages with Steve about this in the last week.

The answer is that Steve can't get a straight answer from Lexus about the ecu in the GS430...and both the stock GS 430 ecu and L-Tuned ecu appear to have the same part number.

However, kobiejohn, putting an L-Tuned ecu into a 98 GS300 should indeed feel different...and, I would think be a different part number from the one that came with your car. But you may not have gotten the correct L-Tuned part.

My suggestion would be to contact L-Tuned at their 800 number or Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota(Gonzo4u@earthlink.net, 800-908-6968 ext. 2381 or Private Message SUPRATRD) directly and let them help you sort this out.
Old 07-10-01, 05:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

When I swapped out the ECU myself, I think the part #'s of the stock and L-Tuned ones were the same.

I definitely noticed a difference.

kobiejohn, I didn't see what model of car you have. Also, do you have 16s or 17s? I think that you'd notice it less with 16s.

Putting aside high speed turns, how about low speed maneuvers in a parking lot? I could definitely feel the difference, which to me seemed like quicker ratio, but others have said that's impossible, so it must have just been increased steering effort.

However, I will say I think I noticed more of an impact with the L-Tuned ECU once I got the springs/shocks replaced too.
Old 07-11-01, 12:01 AM
kobiejohn
Rookie

THANKS for your help, regarding my car its a GS300, I have not noticed a diff yet in the ecu's. I have 18" with 245/40/18 tires all the way around. I have not modified the suspension yet, will most likely go for eibach lowering springs.

When I ordered the tires I thought this would be the best compromise for ride/handling. I also have a 96 prelude vtec. On it I have 215/35/18 and nuespeed springs, it handles extremely well but when I hit a bump it lets me know I have rubberbands for tires. I did not want the same effect on my GS.

When I was putting the L-tuned ecu in last night I gently pried the end with the plug. From my quick peak inside it appeared to have a port which a chip could be quickly replaced, if anyone is familiar with xovers it looked exactly like a xover chip on a audiocontroll xover.

This evening I took apart the stock ecu and everything is soldered to the board, I will try to take apart the L-tuned ecu to compare hopefully tomorrow and will post my findings and again thanks for you help .