GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Would you remove factory spoiler?
Yes
55.88%
No
44.12%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

To Spoil or Not ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-01, 05:48 AM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about removing my factory spoiler. I think the car will look classier without it. It's almost like it doesn't really belong on the car. Ever since I put on the Lowenharts, it's kinda like the spoiler puts the car over the top in the "in-yer-face" category. I like it when people notice and admire the car, but I don't want too much of a good thing.

Who else would do the same if cost were not a big factor?
Old 07-11-01, 06:59 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

I have mine on 20 inch Lowenhart LD1's (20x8.5 F and 20x10 R) with the H&R drop, and I want to put the spoiler on mine. I understand what you mean by the classy look, it does give that, but I like the sport look and I think the spoiler give it just that.

If you do decide to take the spoiler off, I will swap you the inside back dash piece for your flat piece if you want. You know, the light that you will need on the inside of the window. If you are interested, let me know. You can contact me at ap0718@clublexus.com

Thanks
Old 07-11-01, 07:23 AM
Benny
Rookie

leave it man. sporty yet classy at the same time. doesn't look like a CIVIC with 4 foot wing.
Old 07-11-01, 07:50 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Bobcat
I am thinking about removing my factory spoiler. I think the car will look classier without it. It's almost like it doesn't really belong on the car. Ever since I put on the Lowenharts, it's kinda like the spoiler puts the car over the top in the "in-yer-face" category. I like it when people notice and admire the car, but I don't want too much of a good thing.

Who else would do the same if cost were not a big factor?
Just M.O but I TOTALLY agree with you. When I was shopping for a GS I had already determined that I would not get a spoiler....My main hang-up about the factory spoilr is simple: Lexus fitted a "round" car with a "square" spoiler. IMO the car and the spoiler dont look at home with one another.......Just M.O Tiny
Old 07-11-01, 08:50 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ap0718
I have mine on 20 inch Lowenhart LD1's (20x8.5 F and 20x10 R) with the H&R drop, and I want to put the spoiler on mine. I understand what you mean by the classy look, it does give that, but I like the sport look and I think the spoiler give it just that.

If you do decide to take the spoiler off, I will swap you the inside back dash piece for your flat piece if you want. You know, the light that you will need on the inside of the window. If you are interested, let me know. You can contact me at ap0718@clublexus.com

Thanks
Hello ap0718, how are you? Do you have ANY rubbing with your 20's in the front or rear? I am considering 20's and would really like to know if your tires rub at all....Thanks, Tiny
Old 07-11-01, 10:00 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

No spoiler for me on my special ordered GS. Nonfunctional except as a place to hang the CHMSL, or to develop a rattle with time. I agree it's not as garish as the old "baskethandle", but it ain't me.
Old 07-11-01, 10:47 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

The Factory GS Spoiler is a preference. Without the spoiler, the car may look classier, however without it, it also makes it look like the rest of the STOCK GS300s out there, that are driven by the older folks. Rims can offset this image of course too.

I like my spoiler and do have to admit it does get some getting used to, since it is not very low profile, but it finishes the car off nicely and it gives it that sportier younger look to the car too (28 here and I'm probably one of the old ones already ;-)

Sportier is good, especially when you have that rocket of a GS430.

If you remove you spoiler, how will you plug up those mounting holes drilled in your trunk lid? Maybe more of a hassle to take it off, then to leave it on and still look sporty.

My 2 cents of course.

Old 07-11-01, 12:08 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Exclamation spoiler question !!

Yes, I all know too well about the spoiler questions ! We had a long topic about this a while ago if I am not mistaken.

I wanted to take off my spoiler because I didn't like it no more. So i went to the bodyshop and it will cost around $450 to repaint the trunklid, cover up the holes, and paint the sides of the trunk. If you have a spoiler and want to get rid of it, there are 2 ways.

1)Spend the money on the paint job

2) Swap out the trunk lid with someone that wants your spoiler but in the same color as your car.

I tried option #2 in the classifieds but no one yet responded
Old 07-11-01, 12:18 PM
sypc
Rookie

I think it depends on what color is your GS. Dark color cars looks smaller than light color. Personally, I like dark color GS w/ spoiler. I have a white GS, and I think it just look weird with spoiler on.

Peter
Old 07-11-01, 12:52 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by sypc
I think it depends on what color is your GS. Dark color cars looks smaller than light color. Personally, I like dark color GS w/ spoiler. I have a white GS, and I think it just look weird with spoiler on.

Peter
SYPC, you have a very good point there, since the dark colors tend to make the spoiler look discrete and not stick out as much. White does stand out. I do like my silver one though still with the spoiler, but I think it looks probably huge compared to a black one with a spoiler. It grows on you!
Old 03-27-08, 07:30 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-27-08, 09:11 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i like spoilers, just my 2 cents. but i'm biased to only a select few (oem included).
Old 03-27-08, 11:39 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the factory SD spoiler, thats clean. I think the generic factory spoil is way too bulky.

I vote for no spoiler or aftermarket spoiler.
Old 03-27-08, 12:49 PM
illtech
Rookie

I have a black cherry 01 w/spoiler..I will even trade for blk cherry trunk w/o spoiler
Old 03-27-08, 05:06 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the factory spoiler and lost interest within months after seeing others that are available out there. I went simple and conservative and now have a lip spoiler.

Quick Reply: To Spoil or Not ?