GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Vulnerability to Parking Lot Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-01, 02:45 PM
GS430_4Me
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How vulnerable is the GS to parking lot damage? Should I park it in the same manner as my Miata? (A looooong ways from the nearest vacant spot)
Old 07-12-01, 03:10 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Since your GS costs more than twice as much as the Miata, I'd park it more than twice as far away from anyone or thing. There is no force field around my Lexus, so I'll assume that you also did not elect that option from the factory.
Old 07-12-01, 03:30 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hopefully the Force Field option on all Lexus models will be available by 2050..

Although I am getting alot more exercise by how I am parking..
Old 07-12-01, 03:48 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

before that force field thing exist, i am working on an electrical coating that will activate itself. should any pu*k decide to get too close to my lex-the guy would be fried.

Old 07-12-01, 04:42 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Trust me, no matter how far away you park, someone is guaranteed to park thisclosetoyou. Without fail, I will purposely park as far away from other cars, near other luxury vehicles as they are just as cautious, and someone in a '73 Pinto will park next to me. I find myself constantly doing "the runaround", checking the whole car to see if someone carelessly flung open their door. And for some reason my car won't start around Pontiacs and Fords- I think they somehow try to suck the prestige out of the car.
Old 07-12-01, 04:44 PM
Kooly
Rookie

Angry

Yeah, tell me about.....I wish there was a force field option. No, forget option, it should be standard on thiese cars! One time, I was SITTING IN MY CAR, and this lady came and parked next to me. The whole time I was sitting there thinking that she was gonna hit my car. She got out, went and did her shopping or whatever, came back, put her stuff in the car.....and then proceeded to open her door, hit mine, get in, and start her car without even so much as an acknowledgement of what she jad just done!!! I was so pissed....I got out, and looked at my car....there was no damage, and I just looked at her, fuming. I was totally speechless at the total disregard for my property. I just stood there shaking for a sec......then I kicked her car nice and hard on her door and went back and sat. Friggin people! So now, I park nice and far away wherever I go. But that doesn't seem to solve anything either. It seems like the further you park away from everyone else, the more it attracts others to park right next to you. At my gym (which is in a mall), there's a fairly big parking lot, and then a small road, and on the other side of that is another completely empty lot. So naturally I park there. 4 days ago, some genious in a cadillac parked in the spot right next to mine (IN A COMPLETELY EMPTY LOT!).....so ok, I shrugged that off.......I went there today, and before I got there, there were already 3 cars there (including the f***ing caddy!). Talk about a **** off!!!! Sorry this is way too long, but please don't get me started on parking stuff........the nerve of some people, thinking they can even park in the same lot with my baby!!!
Old 07-12-01, 04:55 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trying to keep our cars ding-free almost seems like a losing battle. I try to park away from others, but there are times when you just have to take an available space. I do however try to avoid parking next to big trucks and SUV's. But w/ so many on the road now, that has become pretty difficult. It's too bad that there are so many people who could care less about other people's property.

Kooly - I know you were upset, but you have to be careful! There's not much justification for kicking someone's door, especially if your car had no damage.
Old 07-12-01, 07:38 PM
Kooly
Rookie

USC - I know I know I mean, believe it or not, I am a pretty calm guy. But the way this person was, not even acknowledging what she did (especially since I was right in the car).....when I went out and looked the door and then looked at her, she just stared at me blankly. I lost it. Ha....I guess you could say I had parking lot rage. You're right though, it is sad that so many people just have no respect for other peoples property. Hmmm, i guess you can throw me in that category for what I did.....but I feel justified.
Old 07-12-01, 08:28 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Default NEED TO VENT...:o

Aliright...I go out of my way to always park my car away from anything as much as possible and what do I get...scratches, dents, etc... I few weeks back I started washing my car when I noticed a bunch of red all over my driver side front bumper. So what was it? Dammit...it was paint off another car!!! Where was my paint in that location??? Missing! Today I started washing my rear bumper. Then I noticed all this black stuff, what was it? Not sure. The black stuff came off, but whatever it was scratched my paint... I did a good job touching up my front bumper, so front and back are not that noticeable, but what really bugs me that I haven't opened my trunk for months. I am not sure what I should tell my insurnace company...plus It happened too different times, so I think I might have to pay 2 deductibles...I thinks its fine for right now till I buy a body kit....

No matter how much you baby your car, ***** still happens!

KOOLY- I was standing next to my last car, '98 vette, at a gas station with some friends when some drunk girl parked next to me. My windows were down... Sure enough when she opened here door, she hit my car hard. hitting the mirror and side of the door. Argh...when she started walking towards the store she spilled some stuff in my car from the looks of it...it was alchohol...

Argh...Argh...and another Argh...People need to be a little bit more respectful of others cars!
Old 07-12-01, 09:01 PM
JPritch
Rookie

Angry My horror story!!

My parking lot horror story would have to be the time I came out of the grocery store to find a young couple resting their shopping cart against my front bumper while they were loading groceries into their trunk!

Now the thing that really really pissed me off is that I get into my car without so much as a look or comment to those idiots(keeping my head)...I fire my car up...and what do they do...NOTHING...they don't even move the damn cart off my bumper until I honked the horn at them. What f'ing idiots.

The damn nerve of some people. You know, I have a hard time accepting that there are some people in this world, no matter how educated or well-groomed, that are just complete mindless, disrespectful idiots.

Damn, I need to go calm down.
Later!
Old 07-12-01, 09:06 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Originally posted by ucsdsig
Trying to keep our cars ding-free almost seems like a losing battle.
Most of the dents can be taken out by going to a Paintless Dent Repair place. Cost about $65.00 to $175.00 depending on how many dents they take out. Better to wait and have them all taken out at once.
Old 07-13-01, 12:42 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kooly - I understand your "rage" The worst damage my GS received was after a valet returned my car. After leaving the club my friend noticed that the passenger side mirror was pushed in. When we got of the car later that night I saw that the painted portion of the mirror had some horrible black marks on it. Looks like the idiot valet hit something with the mirror. I got the black marks out, but still have some slight scratches. They serve as a constant reminder to avoid valet service whenever possible

I also have some front bumper damage that I need to get fixed. But this came compliments of my girlfriend who drives my GS like it was a LX 470! :eek:
Old 07-13-01, 02:43 AM
Kaban
Lead Lap

I always park as far away from the crappy cars as well. You know what I am thinking...?

Since there is a handycaped parking space for the handycaped, compact lot for the small cars, there should be a Luxury parking spot for the luxury cars as well. Maybe like a luxury parking spot with meters or something, that makes sense.

Damn, I don't care what the haters in their beaterz say, luxury cars deserves it's own parking space. Beaters can all go to hell.
Old 07-13-01, 05:00 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

My back bumper looked like its been in a cat fight . All these people don't know how to park so they hit my bumper
Old 07-13-01, 07:27 AM
c_hatter
Driver School Candidate

Hilarious stories, guys.

They remind me of that commerical where the guy is all alone on a huge, expansive beach, contently enjoying his privacy whilst catching some rays.

Then some idiot comes by and plops his breach chair two inches from him and gets out his radio, drinks, etc. totally disrupting the poor guy's privacy.

That is why I will never buy or ride on a motorcycle - you are at the mercy of morons who don't think and have no concern for others.

Quick Reply: Vulnerability to Parking Lot Damage?